Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating ToyHW17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 26,750 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 37,252 reviews
on February 28, 2016
The Downton Abbey series is the best television I have ever watched. Amazing historical accuracy, meticulously researched, stunningly recreated, even down to the placement of the spoons on the dinner table. The costuming is unbelievable, absolutely amazing. The castle used in the filming is awesome, and the plots within the series are so well done that the viewer gets caught up in them immediately, laughing at the humor, being joyful at their triumphs, and devastated at their misfortunes. Absolutely the best series ever produced. In this season (and season 2) , the war years were sensitively presented yet the horror of the trenches came across along with the terrible aftermath, both to the soldiers who came home and to the European economy.
on January 11, 2017
What more can I say about Downton Abbey? Downtown is one of the finest series ever put before the world. I say the world because it is seen in over 200 countries. The other awesome thing about it is both men and women like it! Usually it's just the girls; but, it is so well done, so well written, so well presented, so detailed, with the antique cars, the clothes, unbelievable fashions, the hair, the attitudes, the mannerisms, the history, true history, you will love it! Start at Season 1 and watch each one. Do not miss an episode! You'll be bummed when it's over, but you'll enjoy it while it's on! 😆 💐
review image
on April 9, 2017
I do not even know how to describe this level of awesome; however, I will try. :-) It is a classic that I will enjoy watching throughout the rest of my life whenever I'm in the mood for British entertainment. It was absolutely wonderful from beginning to end. I live in the United States in the state of Arkansas. I am about as far removed from the setting of this series as one could possibly get, but it touched me down to my soul and I LOVED it! If you have not seen Downton Abbey, you have not lived.
on June 29, 2016
Downton Abbey, the House of Sudden Changes, is a remarkable period piece series with interesting characters as their fortunes rise and fall against a world I have never known. It's a world where one dresses and gets ready for the next meal, which is a theatrical production that must go off precisely and within narrow limits of respectability.

The production is brisk, each scene moving fluidly. It must have cost a fortune to make with period cars and clothes. To film many short scenes must be expensive and lavish.

Maggie Smith must have had twenty great one-liners worked into her contract to do the show, and the writers oblige. At first, she is portrayed as a Oscar Wilde sort of wit, with of course none of Wilde's side effects, but later she does rise to do some very nice things showing her value in spite of her haughty position.

My favorite is Mary, who can be cool with a promise of warmth. It is that promise, never fully delivered, that keeps her character going for me. Cora, her American mother, is a lovely woman. Robert the father can be okay at times but has a pompous, oddly irrelevant side to he.

The servants steel the show. Thomas is a perfectly hideous creature, a difficult role to play well. Anna is forever seeing the good in her Mr bates, and does it without any trace of Pollyanna.

We are very happy that Amazon includes this in our Prime subscription; otherwise, we probably would not have wanted to lavish money on the series. Had we done so, we would have been pleased with our purchase.
on January 11, 2017
I truly enjoyed this TV series. It is very well made and love the time frame and issues that were front and center back then. I will watch this again and I have told many others about this TV series and hope they too watch it.

I am adding more to this review. I wish this were the types of shows I were offered to see all the time. This would make me love Amazon. I have watched all Seasons through twice. Sometimes when I find nothing else I want to watch, I think of watching this again. I'm sure I will again in the near future. This is the best of Television!
on June 13, 2017
Of course I love this series. After watching it over again (I'm shy to admit how many times) I think the most eventful and most dramatic parts are given to Mr. Barrow, the footman/valet/et al. His story is given so much depth throughout all the seasons; over each family and world happenings his life is demonstrated to react. It kind of creeps up on you how important a character he is. His evolution is extraordinary and so rewarding to follow.
on May 30, 2014
I can not say enough about the DOWNTON ABBEY Season 3 THE UK VERSION. I did a marathon viewing over a 3 weekend period to catch up on all the parts of the story I had missed. I am so very glad that I not only did Season I and 2, but finally did Season 3 as I got hooked on the US version at the beginning of Season 4. I am now able to see what happened and to follow how each person became such a reality to me, like getting to know and old friend all over again. I cried , laughed, but was in awe of the costuming that occurred over the course of time. I made new friends, and got to see why these people become who they were. I must say that Dame Maggie, has become my ideal perception of a Dowager who really has a way with words. They all, are amazing but the UK version, was better than the few older ones that I had viewed. Oh how I am so in awe of what is to come...
on January 22, 2013
It's rare to find a TV series these days that is not running on stupidity, crudeness or shock factor or with any originality. When most new series are scripted fake reality shows with over dramatic people, this series has in every episodes, class, laughs, plotting characters against other characters, love, family drama, family support and there is a way about things that everyone just knows, and yet there are those who challenge it and those who show the silver linings in the very things challenged. It's got the English way of things, but yet is understandable for us Americans and it is a wonderful look at a simpler way of life and gives great insights into what the first use of modern things must have been like. Though it was in the earlier seasons, seeing the staff use the phone when it is installed for the first time and talk about electricity being installed and the cars and yet a buggy alongside them. I do suggest watching it in HD, and if you watch it on PBS they put the large logos on the screen the entire time of which is a bit annoying and cheesy, but it seems far more real in the HD not just because of the clarity, but I think the film ratio must be for wide screen TVs in HD as the non HD PBS channel skewed the view. The PBS HD channel and the HD streaming has the right film ratio for wide screen TVs.
on January 11, 2013
A person doesn't watch this series for Action Adventure or situational humor. Maybe it is the lack thereof in this series that makes it such a standout now on American TV. I love this quiet drama. I love the use of language, the nuanced exploration of class and station, and of course, the attention paid to the sets and costumes. Season three begins with a resolved conflict between two of the main characters that went on for the first two seasons, so it feels like major new plot threads are starting and I can't wait to see where the writers take the story. BTW the writer for DA, Julian Fellowes, is the same for Gosford Park, so if you liked that movie and other period pieces of early 19th century, you will probably love DA as I do.

BTW I watched the first two seasons for free with Amazon Prime with my Roku HD Streaming Player. That was so much easier than having to wait for Netflix to send the disks.
on January 14, 2013
The English certainly have a way with words. They can insult you and you still feel like you are being respected! I was drawn into the drama, the characters and the acting. The dynamic between the "upper" and "lower" parts of the house makes for a very interesting series with many different storylines. All of this with no vulgar language and the absence of either "in-your-face" sex or sexual sugestiveness make it an extremely worthwhile watch. If only American TV would take notice.
11 comment| 176 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse