BCA Month Beauty altText This Week in Books Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited $69.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Save $30 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment outlanders3premiere outlanders3premierealtText Watch Outlander on Starz with Amazon Channels outlanders3premierealtText Watch Outlander on Starz with Amazon Channels  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 24 reviews(2 star). See all 480 reviews
on October 13, 2015
I don't think this is well done. It seems to me that Biblical passages used to support the author's position are not taken in full context, taken literally when they may not be meant literally, or considered to be the word of God when they were the comments of the author of a letter.
on May 9, 2012
I was looking forward to reading a more detailed Christian apologetic account for the evidence of hell, the prevailing arguments as to why hell doesn't exist, and new ways in which I could share the gospel. Unfortunately, it seems as if the author's best work was left on the floor of the editing room. This is a mighty good first draft. Plus, as many of the other reviewers have stated, the book is constantly addressing many of the claims made by another author's work, of whom I have never heard of nor read, which made for dull and tedious reading. I think if the author would take the time to do a second edition and put the meat back into the story, it would be a more fascinating and satisfying read.
on March 30, 2016
I like Francis Chan, but this book was disappointing. It is really just a counter-argument to Love Wins by Rob Bell, another book I read and, although Francis pointed out valid flaws in Rob's facts, was a better read than Erasing Hell. Francis leaves the door open to form your own opinion after each chapter so, in a sense, it is an unsatisfying read. Further, I do not agree with his feelings on hell with a focus on eternal torment and his scripture basis (which are normally very good) are suspect.
on November 8, 2014
Don't bother buying or reading this wishy washy book.
on May 30, 2012
I decided to read more of chan's books because crazy love is the BEST! When I got this it started very slow and I just couldn't seem to get into this. It was not as interesting as his other books and something I would not buy again. It's ok if you don't have anything else to read
on April 12, 2012
*** Contains some spoilers, however not many as I couldn't get through the book. ***

I am a bit disappointed in this book. When I initially bought it, I was under the impression it was a critiquing of how Hell and the Devil are perceived in modern times (ie: there is no Hell or Devil), with biblical scripture to refute that (this is what I was looking for). However, what I got was a book that was refuting the Universalism idea and a person who's book I have never read.

This book actually left me feeling hopeless. As a lifelong Lutheran, I have always believed that Jesus died for my sins. I accept him as my Lord and Savior, but as I tried to make my way through this book, I started to feel as though that wasn't even enough to save me from eternal separation from God. It almost felt like the author was trying to make the case that irregardless of what a person believes or does, they are damned to Hell. I am not a Universalist. As Jesus said in John 14:6: Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

IDK. I hope that I am reading these authors wrong or am misunderstanding the book, because if I am not, then what Jesus said to Martha in John 25: Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life; he who believes in Me will live even if he dies, 26 and everyone who lives and believes in Me will never die. Do you believe this?" 27 She said to Him, "Yes, Lord; I have believed that You are the Christ, the Son of God, even He who comes into the world" should be taken as untrue, but why would Christ got through the torture and humiliation for nothing?

I choose to believe we have a loving Father who accepts us for our imperfections and has given us the ultimate gift in Jesus-eternal life for those who believe.
on July 17, 2015
This book is a decent "popular theology" approach to the issue of Hell. It tries, but doesn't quite make it into the category of serious theology. Most Christians never read more than popular theology, which is a shame. They could learn so much more and deepen their faith by being willing to tackle more serious theology, which they would be perfectly able to understand.
on June 15, 2012
I purchased this audio book based on it said Francis Chan as one of the authors. I heard zero Francis Chan style in it. I found myself easily being distracted when listening to it.
on January 9, 2013
Turned out to be a book that was depressing to read...not at all what I expected. I so liked his other book "Crazy Love" I thought I would like this one as well but was very disappointed. I felt the title was very misleading.

S Terrell
Green Bay, WI
on March 16, 2015
I differ on theology in this book.