Amazon Vehicles Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop now Book House Cleaning Moonlight Moonlight Moonlight  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Spring Savings Event on Amazon.com Ellen

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:$7.99

Showing 1-10 of 81 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 173 reviews
on February 10, 2015
Eric, the 9th Discworld book, chronicles the adventures of the inept wizard Rincewind, who is summoned by a 13-year-old demonologist named Eric. Eric has 3 simple wishes, which he hopes his newly conjured demon can grant. 1. To be the ruler of all kingdoms, 2. To have the most beautiful woman who ever existed and 3. To live forever. What follows is a Discworld parody which draws upon Faust , Dante's Inferno, Homer's Iliad and the Trojan War. The book is laugh out loud funny at times but short and it does end rather abruptly. If you read it on a Kindle, you will probably get to somewhere at about 93% and find that everything is wrapped up and abruptly ended. Seems a bit incomplete but pretty good reading. 3/5
on July 10, 2012
Eric turns out to be another fun story by Terry Pratchett in the Discworld, and is the froth in the Rincewind series. This particular one really jumps around a bit, and not only just around the Discworld, but around time and space as well which allows for the setting to change quite drastically from part to part. This is where the strength of this novel really comes through. We are given glimpses of each of these areas, that result for the not so intended granting of three wishes by 13-year old demonologist Eric.

Throughout the book we also get some glimpses into the world of Hell, and that is perhaps where Prachett's humor feels the most spot on. As expected, many of the elements of Hell are there, but Pratchett adds in some of his own flair, changing things up a bit and providing some great humor developing the Bureaucracy of Hell.

Overall, this is another solid novel in the Discworld. Fans of the series will most likely find something to enjoy, and it would also stand up fairly well as a standalone story as well. While the plot might be a touch slow, the constant change of scenery and the fun take on Hell provide more than enough enjoyment to keep the pages turning.
on March 9, 2017
This is one of Pratchett's best. Very funny indeed yet is more than just comic. It makes definite points re modern life while being an exciting read as well.
on July 25, 2013
This book manages to be short, long winded, and a bit all over the place for a discworld novel.

There are a number of new characters introduced and cameos abound, but there is very little development. This is simply a vechicle to move Rincewind the wizard's journey along and be a funny homage to Faust along the way.

The events and characters are too many for the few pages it provides, and the ending is contrived, but this is still a very funny book and one which gave me a new appreciation for Rincewind.
on May 17, 2017
Terry Pratchett never fails to achieve the human soul in awe. His books take you for a ride in a most familiar yet completely unique universe.
on June 24, 2015
I thought I had read all of his books, so I was so happy to come across this one. especially this one with Rincewind, one of my favorite characters and a proud coward. In this one Rincewind is a demon and is summoned to grant 3 wishes. It can only go pear shaped from there. Hell has gone to hell or to the dogs with new management. Death is intrigued to see if this time Rincewind really will die. Enjoyable read as always Terry. We will miss you. but your words and characters live on, vibrantly as ever
on December 2, 2016
Likeable but short. Pratchett does manage his usual fine humor as he takes the reader to amazing places. However, the scope is massive; from just before the beginning of the Universe to just after the iteration ends.That makes it different from his other books concerning Discworld and not what I expected in varying ways.
on September 28, 2015
I think this is my favorite book of the Discworld series so far. It reminded me somewhat of my absolute favorite coauthored by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman, Good Omens. It's fun, easy and interesting to read, and it actually takes you out of the realm of Discworld onto a journey in times, meeting Ancient Greek heroes and God/gods, all the way to the depth of Hades/Hell...where a revolution is about to happen!
on August 18, 2011
I have read many of Terry Pratchett's books, mostly discworld books. For the most part they are self-sufficient stories unto themselves and have something you could call a plot.

I didn't find anything I could call a plot in "Eric" - though that may be because I haven't read any of the Faust stories. But again, his stories are usually strong enough to stand as independent works. As I kept reading, I kept expecting the story to get started. I had that expectation up until I reached the end of the book.

It was similar to the feeling I got when I finished Stephen King's "The Colorado Kid" even though it suffered from a converse problem: that story had a beginning and middle, but no ending.

But I digress. "Eric" gets 3 stars because it is written by Sir Pratchett and does have its entertaining moments, even though I don't find it to be up to his high standards
on March 26, 2015
Definitely not my favorite of early Discworld, but it did grow on me with time. Eric himself was absolutely terrible initially but grew a tiny bit, which was nice. Lack of female characters was annoying, particularly given the only one really features was treated as the butt of a joke.

Still, the Hell stuff was great, it's always good to see Rincewind, and at least the character of Eric was shown to be terrible, unlike "Nice Guy" Mort!