Industrial Deals Beauty Summer Reading STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports toystl17_gno

• Eric

Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 12 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 46 reviews
on May 31, 2015
i saw the movie back in the 70's when it was first shown on tv - I think it was one of those 'made for tv' movies, around 1974. Ever since then I have been searching for the movie on DVD but just can't seem to find it. When I saw the book, I bought it immediately. I'm still reading it, but it is so captivating I hate to put it down...... The movie, and the book, a biography of Eric, a teen who was diagnosed with leukemia in the late 60's - is one of the best ..... So sad that he died from his relentless illness - but Eric was truly an inspiration to so many who are ill (whether it be leukemia like him, or any other serious ailment) - he was an example of the will to live, despite a terminal illness. He fought with quiet courage. The movie was heart-wrenching at times - I was in high school at the time of its release; this book is easy reading but emphasizes Eric's steadfast yearning to continue living his life, despite his frequent and ongoing blood and bone marrow testing, blood transfusions, hospital stays ... and it shows how each member of his family reacted to his diagnosis and prognosis. The book is by his mother, who was the closest to him throughout his illness. This is an excellent read, especially for those who suffer with terminal illnesses - who need a young adult's character to lean on in memory .....
on February 25, 2014
I bought this book for my 11 year old grandson. I gave it to him on Christmas Day and before New Years Day he had finished it. On January 15 he started reading it again. I remember when I read it about 10 years ago and it was a great book. Evidentally even young men like it too!
on October 17, 2013
Eric Lund was a 17 year-old American schoolboy and a champion athlete when he learned in September 1967 that he was suffering from leukaemia , a type of blood cancer. He died in February 1972 , and this book is his mother's very moving account of his long hard struggle against the disease. Beautifully written , as a tribute to her son , it is sad but not depressing , demonstrating how it is possible to continuing living in a spirit of optimism even after such a tragic loss.
on July 19, 2013
I read this book when I was in 6th grade, now I'm 45 years old and wanted to pass it on to my kids. This story is well written, sad but truly made a difference in my life! If you get a chance to read this book I know you will be blessed by Eric's legacy!
on October 6, 2015
I had read this book some years ago, and just wanted to have a copy for myself. I found it very moving and actually pretty upbeat in tone.

Carol W.
on April 22, 2011
I saw this book and knew I had to order a copy. I remember reading this book and watching the movie as I grew up. Now that I have older kids of my own, I thought it'd be a great time to re-read this book and pass it along to my older teenage daughter too. It still makes me cry, but the point of the book is the celebration of life, no matter how long or short it may be.
on April 25, 2015
Fast delivery exceeded my expectations
on June 30, 2000
I read this when I was 12. I am 32 now and I think everone should read it. Doris drew us into her family and when I finished the book, I was crying like a baby. I am sure Eric is looking down at his mom with much love and much pride.
on April 29, 2014
I read this book many years ago. It was as good as I remembered it! I'm glad I read it again.
on April 24, 2015
I fell in love with Eric the first time I read this in high school. I gave him my heart, and I'm not sure that I ever really got it back. I recently ordered it to re-read, and when I saw once again his infectious grin on the cover, I felt my heart stop once again. He is a part of my youth, someone very real and vivid to me. When I lost him in the novel, it was like losing a friend, and I'll miss him over and over again. His death never becomes easier for me, no matter how many times I read the book. People should read it, not just because it's a story of courage and indomitable spirit, but for how Eric will make them feel, and how his relationship with mother, however complex, is that of pure love.