Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now ToyHW17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 29 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 41 reviews
on March 5, 2017
Like a bowl of bad guacamole, I knew very quickly I had made a terrible mistake buying this book. After each chapter I desperately hoped the book would get better. It did not. This is an amateur attempt at literature so poorly written that I spent the first two chapters thinking I had accidentally purchased a bootleg version. The book is filled with anecdotal details so worthless I can only think the author didn't have enough to write about. His attempt to validate his life as a "spy" is basic and laughable - comparable to themes and examples dreamed up by an undeveloped adolescent. This is without a doubt the worst book I have ever read.
on December 20, 2013
After seeing special TV programs regarding all the many accomplishments in Dubai, this book brings out the real madness in yet another middle eastern country. I never would have imagined the amount of corruption, dishonesty, double standards, lies, discrimination, and illegal practices. It was an eye opener for sure, and makes me wonder how they are able to get away with their deceptions and draw in so much foreign investment. It definitely needs to be added to the list of countries to not visit. Insane leaders seem to be a common denominator in the middle east. Must be from too many years wandering around in the sandbox. I thoroughly liked the story line and the insight of Herve as he outsmarts the Locals at their own game. He not only defeated every attempt by them to prove him guilty, but he managed to outsmart and outwit them in his plans to escape the country. It really showed that his training in the secret service did prepare him to deal with this dangerous situation. I was trying to place myself in his shoes and there is just no way that the average expat over there would be able to pull it off like Herve did. I would recommend this to anyone looking for a real life thriller story!
on July 4, 2016
What a fun book. Heard the snippet of his interview on XNPR and was intrigued. Bought the book and it's a great adventure with lots of insights into this over hyped country. Should be mandatory reading for anyone wanting to travel there.
on March 5, 2015
I loved this book from start to finish. Well written and interesting!
on June 22, 2016
I got this book for kindle and it is only 4 pages with photos ? Can you get back to me on what is going on and why i can not read the book ???
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 9, 2013
I had been conned by all the ads showing the glitter of this place. Then I saw the you tube of the trucks depositing their loads in the desert. Very interesting.

The final pages are exciting to say the least. I am glad he and his family managed to escape from that madhouse. No plans to visit there ever. Don't even plan to make a stop at the airport.
on June 25, 2015
Just finished reading this on the back of a similar account of terror in Dubai, "Trapped: a couples journey to hell and back in Dubai". As a 15-year foreign (American) resident of the UAE and Dubai I feel overall positive about this book and what it relates, while taking some notable exceptions. On the "positive" side, what he writes about the arbitrary and frightening legal justice system in Dubai rings true. It seems to me to be by far the greatest fault of this nation (the UAE as a whole) that one really cannot expect to be treated fairly should one fall into the throes of the justice system. It is a fear that probably lurks in the back of the minds of most, if not all, foreign residents. Both "Trapped" and "Escape from Dubai" well illustrate the scary truth. But, the caveat is that this notion, for the vast majority of residents, resides in the back of one's mind, while for the most part one can go on happily partaking in the good that life in Dubai has to offer. For most people--as awful as the risk of falling askance of the law is--it represents an acceptable level of risk. The "it would never happen to me" sense is the predominant one when it comes to day-to-day living in Dubai. And the reason this risk is acceptable is that life in Dubai is fascinating, the opportunities to better oneself and prosper here are real--IMHO. On the "negative" side, I do think Mr.Jaubert paints the society, its native citizens and its leadership with too broad a dark, malicious brush. He simply presents an over-generalization of their shortcomings. Sure, there are shortcomings which can destroy dreams and lives, but every place on this planet, every society and every government has its shortcomings, and I am not sure that Dubai's are so much worse than so many other places. On balance, they have and continue to do a lot of good and admirable things here. They have created something out of nothing which despite its shortcomings, still impresses.
on December 18, 2013
Clarified a lot of things for me about Dubai. Like any other country, this nation has got its flaws too, and where the author does justice to the subject at hand, the dubai and how it works, he definitely has clear misconceptions about the women and men in Dubai in general. Not all Muslim women are starved for attention, and not all of them are immodest or how they have been labelled in this book. I wish the author took time to understand the common Emiratis and then tackle the issue. What he dealt with in Dubai was an elite class of people, and more or less the elite class is the same every where else in the world. The common masses, the normal people who don't own or can afford the boats, are the ones he should have spent his time with. There are good and bad people everywhere, and a lot of politics at the topmost level in any country or organization. Overall, a good book and I would recommend it despite the criticism it has merited.
on September 19, 2013
fascinating, entertaining, suspended. THE best action book I've read in my life. I highly recommend it, so we can understand what lies behind a Middle Eastern world. The lies of Dubai are terribly striking and realize every day that we see in the news all that this book relates entirely true.
on April 15, 2015
The bottom line was good but technically there were things that were missing