Truck Reviews Beauty Spring Reading Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Kids Edition Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now Start your Baby Registry

Escoffier: The Complete Guide to the Art of Modern Cookery
Format: Hardcover|Change

on March 25, 2018
Awesome treasure of a lifetime of professional lists of dishes and basis for making your own recipes.
on November 24, 2006
I had been looking for a decently priced copy of this book for some time. My original copy was a 1960's print and I was loathe to buy one online for fear of getting the bastard copy that was limited in repitiore and scope but this book is the real deal. I use it mainly for reference and ideas as I am responsible for feeding over 2000 people daily and a menu for 16 or more items and try to infuse some classic dishes into the fray. Whenever I have a question on a classic preparation of a dish I no longer have to hope that I find something online and can consult the expert on culinary tradition. THIS BOOK IS A MUST BUY FOR ALL SERIOUS COOKS WHO WISH TO BECOME CHEFS! If you are a chef you probably already own this book or like me need to replace your stolen copy so get this one. Enough said. -M
14 people found this helpful
|11 comment|Report abuse
on December 8, 2008
This book is written by a famous early 20th century French chef. Arguably the most famous French chef of the 20th century. Today the recipes are mostly interesting for a food historian (or a French food foodie). The book is about upper middle class food as it was cooked in Paris 100 years ago. So don't expect provincial dishes from the Alps, the Mediterranean, etc. With a bit of knowledge of French cooking, the recipes are perfectly possible to do at home. The descriptions are brief so you definitely need a little bit of basic knowledge.

Sadly a lot of the ingredients are (almost) no more. Dover sole is not that easy to get, but if you find it the book has 300 different preparations. Cod was for the lower classes so you only get 10 recipes! And if you happen to have 1/2 kg of surplus truffles you also get recipes of how to treat truffles like a vegetable. Now, there are many ingredients that are still around without paying through the roof. However, you can be surprised how much a piece of beef has physically changed between 1908 to 2008; and with that the cooking methods.

I'm not trying to discourage the potential buyer; just to point out that times change. If any of the above sound interesting to you, buy the book. You will like it. If you wonder what this reviewer is babbling on about, you can give this book a pass.
8 people found this helpful
|11 comment|Report abuse
on December 19, 2013
I supposed in it's day, it was the complete guide. I do love what is offered, however, I find I have to re-read the recipes, and decipher how to actually compose some of them. And there are no photos of how they are supposed to turn out, so that part is still hit and miss. However, since the classics never die, this book is like the cooking bible!
on September 21, 2005
It has been said that the true test of any work,whether it be a piece of art, music, or a book is the test of time. This volume has done just that! First written almost 100 years ago these recipes are just as relavent today as they were in Escoffier's time. Please be aware that this book is not for the beginner. The author assumes that the reader has developed the skills and methods that are needed in any kitchen. I have worked professionally as a chef for 25 years and assure you that this work will always be on my bookshelf. When it comes to classic French cuisine this work is indispensible.
16 people found this helpful
on November 5, 2017
book was in great condition thanks
on January 9, 2008
I'm not a chef, just a serious hobbyist. If you've ever wondered at the designations given dishes on shows like Top Chef and Iron Chef, you'll find this book quite illuminating. What makes that 'sauteed' or 'pan-fried' fish 'a la Meuniere'? This book will tell you all about it and hundreds of other equally compelling dishes and techniques. The book is arranged in an intuitive manner, with a master recipe followed by variations. This really can be a useful book for any home cook. Because it provides very basic 'root' recipes, it's easy to see the formulas by which recipes are created. This book makes all your other cookbooks double their value!
10 people found this helpful
on November 29, 2008
What can I say? Whom am I to rate Escoffier? :) This is not a beginner's cookbook. But it is an essential one.
on August 25, 2010
I got the book fast and was able to start using it to prepare for my culinary competition right away. the book was also in exceptional condition and exactly what I ordered.
on December 9, 2012
Very handy for historic and traditional cooking techniques as well as a handy reference guide for meal ideas. Very handy!