Lyft Industrial Deals Oprah's Book Club Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Ricky Martin All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheTick TheTick TheTick  Three new members of the Echo family Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now TG18PP_gno

on April 12, 2012
I bought this bee house a couple years ago because I really liked the way it looks. The variety of diameter of the bamboo was attractive because it will accommodate many different species (about 1/8 inch to 3/8 inch range internal diameter). Native bees come in many sizes and I wanted to provide homes for more than just mason bees. I also liked that it would be fairly easy to remove the bamboo after the nesting season and replace with new, clean bamboo. There were no bent corners or broken bamboo.

Flaws:
1) Bees like a sturdy home, so the house shouldn't be hung by the built-in wire.
2) The roof isn't long enough to protect the tube entrances from rain.
3) The bamboo isn't cut precisely so some of them have the dividing node closer to the entrance instead of at the rear. You can see this on the item photo with some tubes being closed at the front. Some of the bamboo tubes have no nodes (you can see all the way through them). Bees prefer to have one end closed.
4) The tubes are only about 4 inches long. This is a good length for holes less than 1/4" in diameter. But for holes 1/4" and bigger, the bees need 6" in length.

It is interesting to note that after hanging the house up (using the wire hanger) for one year near my pollinator garden, I had no resident bees. I took the house down and left it on a patio table to remind me to clean it and make necessary modifications. Within a week, there was a carpenter bee (Xylocopa varipuncta) nesting in one of the largest tubes. I am quite surprised that she is using such a short tunnel and picked the bamboo over the timbers on my deck! She spent several days creating a pile of sawdust by making her own modifications to the inside of the tube. I have seen evidence that she is now packing it with pollen.

This bee house will work with modification. It will be best if you have a sturdy platform for it and a covered area to protect it from rain.
0Comment| 65 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 10, 2014
Thought it was super cute, good quality (for the price). But, in the Pacific Northwest, it was a little damp, and the thing molded after a few rainy months.
on May 5, 2016
This came wrapped carefully & was in perfect condition. It's more attractive in person, too. One week & it already has a couple tenants!
on February 2, 2015
Easy on the eyes, easy to hang and it complements many styles of gardens. Tuck into a warm, sunny corner of your garden - near a small water source and leave it be. The Mason Bees will come and you will reap the benefits of having gentle pollinators in your yard!
on June 26, 2017
I haven't used it for bees yet, I'm only reviewing it based on the craftsmanship. All of the bamboo is cheaply hotglued together, but I admit it is secure. The framework is nice and sturdy I'm sure the mason bees will love it next spring :)
review imagereview image
on July 27, 2017
I found this house has no back, and is rather shallow, so I placed the plastic tube model from you inside. No bees this year, but it may be due to location, will try a different location next year. I do like the little metal roof keeping it dry inside....
on January 1, 2017
Good quality. Holds up for years of use.
on August 17, 2013
Great product, I have not attracted any mason bees yet but its partly my own fault. From what i read it's more important to purchase cocoons for the house rather than just wait for them to come on their own.
on July 22, 2017
Love this little bee house. 22 tubes already full.
3 of the tubes were lose when it came. But just wedged them back in and everything fine. Thinking of buying a second one.
on June 25, 2017
This came with the bamboo broken out. I shoved it all back in and dropped hot glue around it to set. I have it hanging in my bottlebrush. It's actually very cute.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.