Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services _fof _fof _fof  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Shop Now toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 25 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 42 reviews
on October 11, 2012
I remember when the Chocolatiers first published this book, I was new to artisanal chocolate and Scharffenberger was just starting their stride. It maybe helped they were local to my regional mindset out of Berkeley while I lived in the Napa Valley. At the time however, I could not justify the expense of the retail issue, and perhaps discounted in my mind what value I could gain from having the document in my library. Now that I do have it, I highly recommend the benefits. The recipes are clear and showcase the nuances of chocolate. The story of the founders and their journey is enchanting. This is a book easily picked up and read straight through.
on March 8, 2017
Interesting recipes for the chocolate lover, beautiful illustrations.
on May 7, 2012
This book is not primarily a cookbook as it tells the wonderful story about the Scharfenberger Chocolate and chocolate itself. I had to add this book to my library after having trouble putting it down when I visited my sister out of state.

The book is wonderfully laid out and makes an excellent presentation. A visual feast. The recipes are set up uniquely from the most intense chocolate to the subtle.

The book is encyclopedic in its discussion of chocolate from the plant to the plate. The recipes were not just created some are from well known chefs who contributed.

It is too bad that Sharfenberger sold out to the big corporate world. I was introduced to their chocolate when they were a small successful company producing an excellent product. Regardless, I have enjoyed reading this book as it is a wealth of information on chocolate from the fruit to the finished product.
on August 21, 2016
Love anything chocolate
on August 2, 2016
excellent..beautiful book
on November 19, 2012
Even if you never make a single recipe, you'll still love this book! It is full of beautiful pictures of every step of the chocolate growing and making process, along with wonderful chocolate recipes!
on February 27, 2011
This is a combination coffee table book and cookbook. Gorgeous photos and simple, but wonderful desserts. Just started trying some and they are great. Don't be afraid to dial back the chocolate percentage if you need to. For the Chocolate Almond Cake I used 70% instead of 82% for the filling and 62% instead of 70% for the glaze and it came out perfectly. And the stories inside are very interesting. Perfect book for the chocolate baking fan.
on May 10, 2013
The subject of chocolate is SO much more than yummy treats to eat. It's also about a very cool history and an agriculture that's fascinating!

I teach the subject of chocolate for a living, I use this book to tell the story of chocolate and how it's processed from tree to bean. So the recipes are a wonderful bonus! I can't tell you if the recipes are good, but, hey, it's chocolate, so how bad can they be. Essence of Chocolate makes a great coffee-table book that will generate really cool conversations if your guests actually read the words!
on February 26, 2010
love this book
on November 27, 2016
We were given this book by Robert Steinberg's sister and have used it for all our best desserts. It is reliable as written - no adjustments needed, and reliably outstanding desserts. Whole Foods no longer carry Scharfenberger chocolate - a pity, but fortunately our little independent grocer in the South End of Boston, Foodies, does.