Industrial Deals HPC Spring Reading Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Made for you. Learn more. Get 10% back on select Bang & Olufsen products Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Mother's Day gifts Home Gift Guide Mother's Day gifts across Amazon Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon howardsend howardsend howardsend  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now Start your Baby Registry

Essential Cell Biology
Format: Hardcover|Change

on November 10, 2015
I am currently renting this book from Amazon ( I think) and the experience is as follows:
Pros
1. Exceptional readability, for some reason the authors manage to keep your attention better than most texts, especially since it is cell bio we are talking about.
2. Graphics are great and very helpful / clear. Instead of serving an almost purely aesthetic function like many texts, the figures summarize the "big picture" processes or subjects in a clear memorable manner
3. The book is not cheaply made and consists of durable hardback.
4. It's one of the few hard copy textbooks I get to use this semester so the away-from-computer time is much appreciated not to mention the lack of need to charge the book.

Cons
1. Heavy- Good or bad thing. For me I couldn't care less as I am just happy to be reading a physical book again (schools are really shifting towards poorly functioning, non-versatile, e-texts).
2. Though not having to do directly with the book content, I did not expect a brand new book to come by any means. However, the vast majority of the book is thoroughly highlighted. Evidently the previous user reads through the tip of a highlighter, of a rainbow of colors whose designation I have yet to determine. Every...single....word is highlighted as you might imagine this took some getting used to as text would shift from neon green to neon yellow to dark blue to pink and on. I'll re-update if they try to charge me for the highlighting massacre.
11 comment| 10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 14, 2015
The class I am taking supposedly requires the fourth edition of this book (according to our school bookstore website, that is). However, my professor told the class that the third and fourth editions are pretty much the same aside from some things like page and section numbering, and that we would be able to use either one for the class. If you are looking to save some money and still have basically the same book, then I would highly recommend this one. As far as how the book reads, it seems pretty good for a textbook. It isn't exactly fun to read, but it's relatively easy to follow and there are a lot of good pictures and diagrams. Overall, I am very happy with my purchase, and would definitely recommend this book.
on May 30, 2017
I used this older edition for my class that required the latest edition and I was perfectly fine. The information and images are basically the same- there is some differences in wording and order that the info is presented but overall it is the same as the latest edition. Also my professor used many of the images directly from the text on our exams and all of the ones that he used in the new edition were the same. Def. recommend getting this version- it will save you money and you will get the same as if you used the newer edition.
on May 18, 2012
Cell bio is a dense and difficult subject. Most universities (and authors) assume you have the necessary background knowledge to understand this basic text. If you don't understand chemical bonds (or other basic chemistry concepts) and if you haven't had a solid intro to bio (for biology majors, not for non-majors) this book will be deceptively difficult for you to follow. As far as beginner's texts go, this one is just fine. In fact, after an undergraduate class in cell bio several years ago, I sold the book back (I seem to lose more good books this way) and immediately regretted it. I recently re-purchased it so that I could refer back to it as desired.

The only negative about this book, this edition (other editions may have fixed the problem) is its seemingly fragile physical state: the hardcover is weak. It bends and bows, and the spine usually collapses (this is my second book and the spine pulled away from the pages just as it did with my first copy of this book). I am NOT hard on textbooks. I don't highlight or mark in them, I don't toss them around, I don't cram them in backpacks. This is just from gentle use. If not for the easily-ruined cover, I would have given this textbook five stars.
on April 2, 2018
I was pretty disappointed as all the other books I've ordered in "good condition" have had minor wear and tear such as scratches on the cover and folded page corners. With the constant highlighting and writing on pages this should've been more like "acceptable"...if even that. Otherwise, seems to be a great book so far. Very informative, and great pictures to help explain. I especially like that it has actual electron micrograph photos in addition to the colored drawings/diagrams so you can see what they look like realistically.
review image
on May 18, 2010
I was desperately looking for a textbook to cover the Biochemistry and Cell Biology for the GRE Subject Test i am preparing for.

Everyone was praising Alberts' Cell Biology but i found the information a bit advanced.
Cell Biology is a FANTASTIC textbook but it requires prior background on Cell Biology to fully appreciate it and i had none.

Then i found Essential Cell Biology. By the same author, it partners with others in bringing Cell Biology to a wider audience. Reading it is a breeze, it makes you wonder why Cell Biology is considered such a hard topic!
Explanations are straight forward and the movies that come with the DVD are a life saver.

You can easily read and assimilate 10 pages an hour and you don't even know when the time passes.
The only chapters that require more time are "How cells obtain energy from food" and "Electron transport in mitochondria". But this is because of the chemical reactions implied by processes such as citric acid and glycolysis.

Don't get fooled! Essential Cell Biology covers ALL chapters that his big brother Cell Biology includes. It only does it in a simpler and wiser manner.

If you want to get acquainted with Cell Biology this is the book for you!
22 comments| 53 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 25, 2016
This book is what I call the annotated version of The Cell. It has the "essentials" with enough figures to help you understand the basics. I found that the descriptions of some of the concepts were lacking in the amount of detail I was expected to understand in my class. If this is a required book for your class, you should read through the chapters before class and write down a list of concepts not explained in detail that you can ask your professor to elaborate on so you don't spend hours researching literature online without a sense of direction in order to master the material.
on June 2, 2013
It was compiled and written to update Cell & DNA Biochemistry.
IF you can get one w/ the CD, or DVD,, Do so.. to supplement the book
which requires detailed reading and comprehension.. a Good student
reference to use to re-read key sections to realize how the body systems
all work together.. so that new research can help humans readjust on how
best to keep us in a healthy state.
I liked to link this to L.McTaggart's "Field" book to relate to the force fields
which supplement how the total body functions, both chemistry, atomic
and frequency nerve circuits.
on July 18, 2015
This was a great book for a few of my classes just to use as a reference, it has nice large diagrams that are properly labeled without adding the headache of trying to fit too many things into one image. All of the subjects were laid out in a logical way and the book itself was very neat and organized.
on October 17, 2017
substandard binding. pages fall out. this is the second book i have purchased by 'garland science' , GS,a 'taylor &francis group'.