From the Author
Imagine my happiness when I discovered parkour as a young adult. It meant I could do all those things and when other adults asked: "What the hell are you doing jumping around like a fool?" I could reply... "Parkour... it's a legit activity, like martial arts."
Now parkour to me is so much more. It is a vital part of the Survival Fitness Plan. Imagine being chased by an attacker that may be faster than you, but because of your parkour skills, you can easily out-maneuver him/her. For this kind of skill, you only need the foundations. That is why this book is only basic parkour. In the Survival Fitness Plan, functionality for survival is what counts, not flashy movements. Know the basics and drill them so they are instinctive.
Parkour is a great way to keep fit, a tremendous confidence builder, a means of expression, and a pathway to seeing your surroundings in a new light.
This book is the official Survival Fitness Plan (SFP) Parkour Training Manual.
The techniques covered in SFP parkour training focus on "essential" parkour movements only.
By essential I mean those movements and techniques which, with basic training, would be relatively safe to use "on a whim", i.e., if you are running away from someone in an unfamiliar area.
Of all the flight skills in the Survival Fitness Plan, parkour is the one that should be given the most attention since it is the most useful get out of immediate danger when on land.
Why Learn Parkour?
The main reason for learning parkour in the Survival Fitness Plan is for the same reason it was invented in the first place, i.e., to develop the ability to get from one point to another as efficiently as possible. There are other benefits also such as:
- It is a fun and challenging way to keep fit. It's exercising without feeling like you are exercising. You just learn the skills and physical fitness is a welcomed by-product.
- Socializing with other parkour enthusiasts. Or if you prefer to be a loner, parkour can be practiced solo.
- Seeing the world around you in a new light. Once you start to learn parkour you will no longer see buildings, stairs, rails, or any other structure in the same way again.
- Overcoming fear and building confidence. Many parkour movements, e.g., jumping gaps, can be daunting. Just like overcoming any fear, you will be able to use this inner strength in other areas of life.
- Increasing your imagination. Figuring out different ways to get from point to point using different parkour skills.
About the Author
He describes himself as a "Survivalist, Minimalist, Traveler" and spends his time traveling the world and refining his skills. He has studied Martial Arts with the masters in China and the Philippines. Sam has also trained with experts in parkour, climbing, wilderness medicine, survival, alternative healing, white water rescue, and more.
Now he shares his knowledge with the world through his books.
Follow and Connect with Sam Fury
- Amazon.com/Sam-Fury/e/B00C8Z4U8S (full book catalogue)
- Facebook.com/AuthorSumFury (book promotions)
- SurvivalFitnessPlan.com (website)