- Series: Addison-Wesley Microsoft Technology
- Paperback: 624 pages
- Publisher: Addison-Wesley Professional; 1 edition (August 22, 2010)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0321700759
- ISBN-13: 978-0321700759
- Product Dimensions: 7 x 1.3 x 9.1 inches
- Shipping Weight: 2.1 pounds (View shipping rates and policies)
- Average Customer Review: 26 customer reviews
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #1,298,194 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Essential SharePoint 2010: Overview, Governance, and Planning (Addison-Wesley Microsoft Technology) 1st Edition
Use the Amazon App to scan ISBNs and compare prices.
Fulfillment by Amazon (FBA) is a service we offer sellers that lets them store their products in Amazon's fulfillment centers, and we directly pack, ship, and provide customer service for these products. Something we hope you'll especially enjoy: FBA items qualify for FREE Shipping and Amazon Prime.
If you're a seller, Fulfillment by Amazon can help you increase your sales. We invite you to learn more about Fulfillment by Amazon .
There is a newer edition of this item:
The Amazon Book Review
Author interviews, book reviews, editors picks, and more. Read it now
Frequently bought together
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
From the Back Cover
"This book will become a mainstay in your SharePoint library. You will find yourself reaching for it whenever you run into a difficult situation or need extra guidance on how to use the new SharePoint product set.""- From the Foreword by Thomas Rizzo, Senior Director, SharePoint Product Management, Microsoft"The Only Book That's Completely Focused on Maximizing the Business Value of SharePoint 2010 Solutions "Essential SharePoint(R) 2010 "approaches Microsoft SharePoint Server 2010 from a strict business value perspective, explaining exactly how to plan and implement SharePoint solutions to achieve superior business results. The authors are leading enterprise SharePoint consultants and draw on their unsurpassed experience to focus on the SharePoint features that offer the most real-world value. You'll find practical advice about how to succeed with knowledge management, business intelligence, and process improvement, and how to derive value from new innovations such as social tagging and mashups. The book includes comprehensive, "in the trenches" guidance on planning, architecture, governance, training, and other key issues most SharePoint books ignore. The authors identify success factors, intangibles, and "gotchas," helping you systematically reduce project risk and time-to-value ratio. Learn how to
- Customize your best portal or collaboration strategy
- Sustain a portal for continual, measurable value
- Leverage the new community and social features in SharePoint 2010
- Succeed with enterprise content management
- Streamline business processes with Workflow and Forms
- Choose the right roles for Web collaboration, search, and Microsoft Office
- Plan for secure external collaboration
- Migrate smoothly from SharePoint 2007
- Train and communicate for a successful launch
About the Author
Scott Jamison is managing partner and CEO of Jornata, a leading SharePoint and Microsoft Online Services consulting and training firm. He was previously director of enterprise architecture at Microsoft and led Microsoft-focused consulting teams at Dell.
Susan Hanley, president of Susan Hanley LLC, is an expert in designing, developing, and implementing successful portal solutions, specializing in information architecture, user adoption, governance, and metrics. Her clients include many of the world’s largest global SharePoint deployments.
Mauro Cardarelli is a SharePoint evangelist who has been active in the SharePoint community since 2001. He has twenty years’ experience designing and building technology solutions.
Top customer reviews
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
Keep one thing in mind, though. This book is all about PLANNING, not as much DOING. There is not a lot of click here to do this and click there to do that kind of instruction. That part I can figure out. Although the use of screenshots in the book is appropriate.
The first and most important thing to keep in mind about building a SP site is to plan it out thoroughly first!! You really don't want to go in and start building things without a VERY detailed plan. Trust me. Been there! It's all about the plan is this book is a great guide!
Someone stated that this is not a beginner's book. Yes and no. Definitely yes / must-read for a beginner / first time designer or manager who wants to understand what types of problems SharePoint might help solve, and how to go about developing a strategy, governance and implementation plan. No for a first-time user who needs to understand how to create a site and which buttons to click.
A good book to have going for client meetings and implementation.
1) This book was written as SharePoint 2010 was coming out so it is more about the general way to approach SharePoint site design and not so much about war stories from the front.
2) The images are so low resolution on the Kindle that they range from eye strain to illegible. This is because much on SharePoint sites is text intensive and the font is small...particularly the administrative and setup screens. I tried it on my small Kindle, big Kindle, and PC. No luck. Magnification doesn't help: the pixels are blurred at any resolution. This is particularly a problem in the WalkThrough parts because those are image intensive. A blurred picture of a thousand words is worth considerable less than a thousand words. If I needed this aspect of the book in particular, I would rate it a 2.
This book is critical for any IT managers or consultants who are planning a SharePoint rollout. Having a solid SharePoint foundation helps to better understand the concepts within this book, beginners may have an uphill battle with it.
I particularly appreciated the sections on:
* Planning Your Security Model
* Information Architecture and Enterprise Content Management
* Making Search Work
This book isn't for developers, it truly is for those who need to communicate how to have a successful SharePoint rollout. As a consultant, this is one of the few books I have gone back to time and time again.
Most recent customer reviews
You can't have enough books when learning a new product.