Your Garage Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning powers4premiere powers4premiere powers4premiere  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-7 of 7 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 10 reviews
on April 11, 2017
Bad communication skills as usual. But still useful if you can look past all that. Its common in IT. Bad communicators Who can only communicate on any level with computers. Bleach! maybe Ill write a book soon myself to help remedy this hogwash that has run so rampant in the industry. Information is good but only when it tastes good as it goes down.
on March 21, 2010
I know the phrase "must-have" gets thrown around a lot, but in terms of System Administration reference: this book *really* is "must-have".

If you are a professional System Administrator (as I am), you will often find yourself using this book in your day-to-day activities. It can almost always impart quick knowledge in disaster situations where time is a factor (especially when working on Solaris machines; I can't stress Solaris enough!).

Look at the price. It's (...). That's like nothing (even to the poor, underpaid, and underappreciated Sysadmin like you and me). As long as you keep this book handy and not buried under some crap on a shelf somewhere, you will see that it will pay for itself in man-hours and sanity probably the first time you use it. It has all the rarely-used commands and stuff that you will most certainly need in your typical "oh crap" scenario (for *several* different Unix-like operating systems).

I should also mention that this book is available as an iPhone/iPod Touch app for much an even cheaper (something like (...) price. That said, there really is something to be said for the old-fasioned version. Personall, I bought both (obviously I didn't get the iPhone app from Amazon). I keep the book on my desk at work nd I have the quick-loading but less navigable iPhone version one on my person at all times. In a pinch, or at a remote location, the iPhone version can be immensely useful. For day-to-day (at work-type) issues, the book simply can't be beat.

Bottom line: If you're a Sysadmin who deals at all with Unix like operating systems, you'd be a fool not to buy this book. If you're one of those *and* an iPhone owner (I know, Sysadmins are "supposed to prefer Android phones), you should probably get the app too. You never know when you'll find yourself staring at the business end of a Sparc qmail server that stopped working and you don't have your book at the ready.
on April 21, 2004
Ahem. I know this is only the "pocket" version of this book, but Essential System Administration Pocket Reference is the best system admin book I've seen in a long time. Now, I'm relatively new to Unix system admin, but I've knocked around the industry for over ten years now, so I know a thing or two about sysadmin work. Usually, what I look for in a reference guide is either something quick and simple or with miles and miles of depth. If I'm new to a system, or I only administer it as a backup or "once in a blue moon", the quick guides suit me well. In this case, that was precisely what I was looking for in a Unix system administration guide. Essential System Administration Pocket Reference provides this to a "T".
Without getting bogged down in lengthy descriptions or philosphical discussions of which tool to use when, this pocket reference lists the basic administration commands, beyond GREP (though it lists that, too!), with a short description of what it does. It's easier to read than the MAN file, usually gives me few examples, and I don't have to open a second terminal window to use it! Seriously, I really reccomend this guide to anyone new to Unix, including Linux, system administration. Or, like me, is getting back into it for the first time since, well, since the Dark Ages. It's a great guide or refresher and it literally does fit in your pocket!
on November 21, 2007
I brag an LPI-2 certification, but I definitely do not have such expertise in any other UNIX variant, be it BSD, Solaris, etc. This book covers everything you need to know to understand in a few minutes how one differs from another and, most important, use any of them with relative ease. And it does not limit to basic shell usage, that would be too easy. You can even set up a couple of services, such as Apache & Co., DHCP or DNS, all with some previous experience with any variant and this book as a translator of sorts. Of course, it may be considered outdated now, but that's why I'm expecting the new edition.
on April 21, 2016
Started a new role and this is my constant companion while expanding my skill set.
on May 5, 2015
GREAT BOOK FOR UNIX ADMINS AND OPERATORS, USES THE MOST COMMON FLAVORS AND SIMILARITIES
GOOD FOR STUDENTS ALSO. MUST READ.
on January 7, 2016
great product, as described.