Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Trade in. Get paid. Go shopping. Shop Now STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 300 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 351 reviews
on June 5, 2016
I needed this book, "Essentials of Sociology," for my Sociology class in college. The book arrived in the mail in a very timely manner, it did not take long to arrive. The book, "Essential of Sociology," was actually somewhat interesting. The book was not in the very best condition, but I did order a used edition. The book was much cheaper here on Amazon than it was at my local college bookstore, or anywhere else I looked, for that matter. The book was a very fair price, and not way over priced! Although I did not find my Sociology class very interesting, I did find the book very interesting. Each chapter begins with a story from a personal experience had by the author, and the story relates to what we would learn in each chapter. The stories at the beginning of the chapter really brought the learning to life! The book also had pictures and experiences, making it much more personal.
on August 12, 2016
Out of all the textbooks I've ever had for every college class I have taken, this is definitely one of my favorites. Not only does it present the material in an organized and easy to understand way, but it gives very very good examples to help the student/reader thoroughly understand the theories and concepts. I am in school but I'm not particularly organized and I have a short attention span when it comes to reading textbooks, but I have found myself having no issue studying from this book for long periods of time, and I think that's because of how interesting the book is and how easy it is to understand. I would recommend this book to anyone, even if you are just curious about sociology. I have learned a lot about myself and the environment around me due to this book.
on December 30, 2014
I fully expected to be bored to death, but this book was engaging and informative. The pictures were great and the writing style is educational without being dry. Dr. Henslin offers real-life examples to support the information given, and is able to impart information in a way that isn't overly technical. I would definitely recommend this book to any Sociology student.
on April 18, 2013
I purchased this book for an introductory class to Sociology. I am biology major, and I must say I was pleased with the content, the format, and perspective Dr. Henslin achieved with Sociology: A Down to Earth Approach.

Each chapter provides global and unique experiences that tie into the theme the chapter will discuss. The major sociological perspectives are thoroughly explained with the issues sociologists deal with.

Another feature that made this book worth the purchase was the pictures. Often, textbooks display pictures that show how little the people cared about conveying the message or concept, but not with Henslin's text, the pictures perfectly show you what is being discussed and embeds the image in your mind.
on June 25, 2017
Required book for school.
on January 7, 2014
This is a great book for someone who knows nothing about Sociology. I am taking this class online for an 8 week period. The book is an easy read and is actually hard for me to put down. I have never experienced that with a textbook before. Also very vividly put together and great visuals and examples. Besides the fact that the user I bought this from shipped me a bent book, it's a good price and I suggest getting it used and saving some money. It's not that much different than the newest edition.
on September 27, 2015
Love this book it is not a difficult read like most college textbooks can be. The author writes like he's having a conversation with someone so you can understand the material. There are also good examples the book in case you still don't get a concept
on August 13, 2017
Good
on May 12, 2014
This is an outstanding sociology text. It gives the basics in a personable and engaging manner. The author shares his own experiences and research. It is a great book for personal study, to review what you learned in college, and it would be a practical introductory text for a course. It emphasizes practicality in addition to theory, how sociology can help affect social change.
on July 29, 2013
Well written, easy to read, fascinating book. Great distribution of vignette-type pieces that illustrate concept being discussed; it's like having enjoyable little mini-documentaries scattered throughout the text.

If this is your textbook for a class, start by reading the summary at the end of whatever chapter you are studying, THEN read the chapter. It gives you focus and familiarity with the material.

I used the previous edition of the one the teacher recommended - and it was FINE, still got an A.

I'm keeping this one!