Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating PSFF17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 112 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 119 reviews
on January 4, 2013
Although the battery lasts a long time on the UV-5RA, this car adapter lets the user keep the radio "on," whenever you go somewhere. In our cars, the cigar lighter/accessory socket turns off when you shut off the ignition. In my case, that means I can keep the radio clipped to the passenger seat belt and when I start up, so does the radio, preset to the frequency where I left it.

The coiled cord could be a little longer, that's why the rating is down a star. The wire that they use is not very flexible, so it takes a good pull on the coil to get to a comfortable length. This might put stress the cord at the radio end, and could potentially pull out the plug from the car's accessory receptacle if it's nearly out of reach. There are extension cables but they are bulky and not worth the trouble.

Fit and finish are both good, matching the color of the radio's housing, and sliding correctly into the radio's battery compartment with no slop or uneven dimensions.

The red LED power indicator on the car end is very bright, and at night you may want to turn it away from the driver's position to avoid mistaking it for an unfastened seatbelt light, the parking brake indicator, or any other idiot lights that happen to be near the cigarette lighter.
on October 21, 2013
It is not engineered to deliver the current required to run your Baofang radio - it does not have a current limiting resistor and the regulator over heats and shuts down. I bought 2 of these and a friend who has an engineering degree is redesigning the circuit so it will be a usable adapter. When using the adapter it will transmit fine for about 15 seconds, then you start to notice your display backlight going away an then the display goes dead and then you get a signal report back from the party you were talking to and they report your SN ratio as going into the toilet and eventual unreadability - STEER CLEAR!!! I'd give it zero stars if I could!
on March 23, 2013
If you plan to use your BaoFeng UV-5R in you vehicle (seems likely for a handheld), you should have a way to preserve the rechargeable battery. Be aware that this unit replaces the battery; it doesn't recharge it. It strangely enough has the contact pads on it that the battery has, but they are, as far as I can tell, purely cosmetic. They have no function. The cord plugs into the cigarette lighter/accessory outlet and the other end replaces the battery on the handheld. So, the good:

1. It works.
2. It's inexpensive.

The not so good:

The cord is short and very tightly coiled. As a result it is a struggle to pick up the handheld and talk into it. If you use the handheld's earpiece/microphone, that mitigates the problem. A longer, less tightly coiled cord would be better.
on January 15, 2013
Since the UV-5R does not have a Dc Jack, this is a necessary Mobile accessory. While the battery life is impressive, Long trips in the car will unnecessarily use battery. It has been banged around a bit in my vehicle. Seems rugged enough.
on November 22, 2013
Before I plugged this into my UV-5R I wanted to make sure it worked correctly... so I hooked it up to a 12V DC power supply and measured the voltage output at the terminals at the top end of the eliminator. Surprisingly I got 8.01V. A fully charged battery puts out about 7.95V, so the eliminator output is spot on.

The cigarette lighter end is nice and sturdy and includes a tip replaceable fuse. The cigarette plug uses two contacts for the negative connection, and both provide a good firm "spring" hold.
This should hold the plug securely in the the socket. Only one of the negative spring connectors is electrically active. The other connector on the plug isn't hooked up to anything, so it just provides extra holding power.

The coiled cable is a bit on the short side. It would have been nice if it had another foot+ of length. If your cigarette lighter socket is within arms reach, you will probably be happy. Don't expect to plug this in the front of the car and use the radio in the back seat. Also the "coil" effect of the cable is fairly "un-springy". I suspect as it is stretched out over time it will not want to spring back. Overall it seems like a decent product.
on May 7, 2014
I purchased this product so that I could use my new Baofeng UV-5 Handheld HAM radio in my car without running down the battery. The unit fits my handheld radio perfectly. I am able to power the radio from the cigarette light port while in the car.

I would recommend this product.
on December 3, 2013
Did not work. I opened it up to find items not connected. Looks like they glued the wires to the board and did not solder some of the connections. The cable also is to short. Would not trust this item. I had to buy another one from a different source. The new one worked right out of the box
My new car doesn't have much room to squeeze in a multiband HF/VHF radio, so while I try and figure out how to do at least a 2M installation I've been using a UV-5R with a remote mic and a mag mount antenna to check in to my favorite local repeater. A charge doesn't last too long when you're on high power, but with this battery eliminator I can take off for a weekend without worrying about running out of charge. Quality isn't up there with the best from Icom et al, but at the price they're asking I could buy four of these for the price of one Icom. Three stars for quality, but the bargain price pushes it up to four.
on April 20, 2013
Build quality is ok at best. Unit quickly overheats. Radio has to be shut down every few minutes so the Battery Eliminator can cool down.
on May 23, 2014
I use this adapter to power my Baofeng Uv5R in my car and it works like a charm. I connect it to a mag-mount antenna, and I found that on 4 watts I was able to hit a repeater more than 45 miles away. While I'd love to permanently mount a mobile ham radio in my car some day, this is a great alternative for so much less money.

I've been using this for more than 8 months and I'm exceptionally pleased with its performance, compatibility with the UV5R, and durability. I highly recommend this adapter from Etekcity.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.