Top critical review
179 people found this helpful
Not the highest quality, but you probably won't notice.
on September 27, 2013
Let me state that this item is fine for connecting a device to your home network. If you need an inexpensive 15 meter cable this is a decent solution. There are some issues though which I'll put into bullet points to save space.
- This is not a twisted-pair cable. This means it's technically not Cat 5e. Or Cat 5 either. Standards dictate it must be twisted-pair.
- Because it's not twisted-pair: This cannot reach maximum speed of a regular Cat5e (1 gigabit) cable.
- Additionally, it is more susceptible to interference from electrical sources. Do not run it near electrical lines or AC to DC converters.
- Again, without the twisted-pair it feels flimsy and is prone to crimping so be cautious about going around corners too sharply.
- Wires are not colored properly. Both the striped-orange and striped-brown copper wires are identical in color.
- This is VERY nit-picky. The cable is actually 15 meters which is 49.2 feet.
I'm using the item to connect a smart TV in an area with weak WiFi to my home network and it's fine for the application. Do take note though that this is definitely far from a high-end product, and I question using this in situations where dropped packets would be disastrous, like playing video games on a PC or console.
I contacted the seller with this information and was basically told that for 4.55 and free shipping it's good. The issue is more that the description is incorrect, but there you have it.