Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Ethiopia - Culture Smart!: The Essential Guide to Customs & Culture
Amazon Vehicles Fall Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now STEM

Format: Paperback|Change

on August 4, 2015
This little book is packed with information and insights that helped me understand a culture that was complete foreign to me ahead of my first visit. It contained all of the great parts of a guidebook, without heavy page after page of advice on where to stay and eat, which I didn't need. It's clear that the author understands both Ethiopian and western culture -- she helped me to understand how the two worlds perceive and interact with each other.

Particularly helpful to me in my recent visit:
1. How/why Ethiopian people both respect and look down on westerners.
2. The Ethiopian system of telling time, which is completely different than western time.
3. Traditional greetings (so I was prepared when I was offered a wrist-shake)

This was my first Culture Smart book -- I'll definitely seek them out in the future.
on October 14, 2010
This book will really be used in our family as we have a little granddaughter from Ethiopia. Learning customs and the culture of her native country is important to all of us. It will also be helpful to anyone traveling in a country whose customs may be different but which are greatly valued.
on October 12, 2011
This was merely okay. I read this in honor of my son's birth country for his 2nd birthday. Some of it was interesting; some wasn't; some I already knew and much of it seemed to be slanted to the middle or upper class Ethiopians. Although it took 4 days, it seemed longer and I was glad for the most part to be finished. But is a decent book to read if you know nothing about Ethiopia or are planning to travel there.
on December 27, 2010
A great overview of cultural topics. Sections are short and easy to ready. Provides a great flavor of the people, food, and customs. This also helped me identify specific historical events and geographic places to study before my trip.
on November 23, 2014
I am planning to make and deliver a slideshow with images from our recent trip to Ethiopia. This handy and easy to read book will supplement the knowledge I have of Ethiopia and add to the information I present along with the images.
on April 29, 2014
I would definitely recommend this book for a business person or researcher going to Ethiopia. It is clear the author has first hand experience in the country.It is not too exhausted, but has just the right about of information.
on April 17, 2013
Great help in understanding the culture and people for an outsider. It was very helpful in our one week visit.
on May 30, 2012
When my friend Jan headed to Ethiopia, I handed him this essential guide to the country, its culture, and people. It served him well, I think.
on March 15, 2013
This book gives lots of information. I would recommend it for anyone who has not traveled to any African country.
on May 12, 2016
Good summation of culture, religion, geography, etc. for the new traveler to this country.