Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Etsy 101: Sell Your Crafts on Etsy, the DIY Marketplace for Handmade, Vintage and Crafting Supplies Paperback – January 16, 2012
Excel 2016 For Dummies Video Training
Discover what Excel can do for you with self-paced video lessons from For Dummies. Learn more.
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
From the Author
For artists, crafters, designers, and vintage resellers, it's a revolution. Never before has it been so easy to open a storefront that will reach millions of paying customers--with no up-front investment--online, in an afternoon!
Discover the new twist on good old-fashioned word-of-mouth advertising made possible online, courtesy of Facebook, Google, and Etsy itself. You'll learn the best tools for making it all work, no computer geekery required.
With tips to work smarter, you'll have more time to spend doing what you love: creating, finding new treasures, and belonging to a community of like-minded, independent artisans.
-- Read easy-to-follow guides for registering on Etsy.com and selling your handmade items, vintage finds, or crafting supplies.
-- Instantly supplement your brick-and-mortar store sales with an online sales outlet in the world's biggest and best-known artists' marketplace.
-- See examples and insider tips from dozens of Etsy's top sellers.
-- Learn to create an online shop and market your own brand.
-- See how to describe and photograph your items like a consummate professional.
-- Learn how to price your items to maximize your sales and fatten your profits.
-- Learn how to process your Etsy payments and avoid scams.
-- Get tax deductions for your home studio or office, and travel expenses.
-- License your designs to extend your reach and earn more.
-- Automate your administrative chores with Etsy apps.
-- Learn to use keywords to drive visitors to your Etsy shop.
-- Generate word of mouth and "free" advertising, and see why paid advertising is usually a waste of money.
-- Take your business to the next level by attracting wholesalers and retailers.
HOW WE GOT HERE
THE GENIUS OF ETSY
WHAT'S ALLOWED ON ETSY
PROHIBITED ON ETSY
SELLER PROFILE: INEDIBLE JEWELRY
REGISTER AND SHOP AT ETSY
Your Etsy avatar.
DRAW YOUR PRIVACY BOUNDARIES
SET YOUR REACH WITH 'REGION PREFERENCE'
GO ON A SHOPPING SPREE
Let's buy something.
ADDING ITEMS TO YOUR CART
Add Order Details.
PAYMENT AND SHIPPING VIA PAYPAL
Checks, money orders and other payment methods.
Submit your order.
ETSY CONVERSATIONS (CONVOS)
ETSY REGRETS? KISS AND MAKE UP
DELETION OF INAPPROPRIATE FEEDBACK
COUPON AND DISCOUNT CODES
SHIPPING TO A FOREIGN COUNTRY
Shipping to multiple locations.
REPORTING NONDELIVERY OF AN ORDER
REPORT A PROBLEM WITH AN ITEM YOU RECEIVED
FLAGGING INAPPROPRIATE LISTINGS
REVISING YOUR ACCOUNT INFORMATION
SELLER PROFILE: WOOLY BABY
OPEN FOR BUSINESS!
IDENTIFY YOURSELF ON ETSY
WHAT'S IN A NAME?
PRIVACY AND USING YOUR REAL NAME
Changing your Etsy avatar
Message to Buyers
BEEF UP YOUR PROFILE
ADD A BANNER TO YOUR SHOP
TWEAK YOUR SHOP TITLE
STATE YOUR SHOP POLICIES
OTHER POLICY DETAILS TO CONSIDER
EXAMPLE OF A GOOD SHOP POLICY
PRICING YOUR ITEMS
Average market price.
FIGURE YOUR COSTS LIKE A PRO
DON'T BE CHEAP, YOU'RE WORTH IT
From the Back Cover
- HOW WE GOT HERE
- THE GENIUS OF ETSY
- WHAT'S ALLOWED ON ETSY
- PROHIBITED ON ETSY
REGISTER AND SHOP AT ETSY
- Your Etsy avatar.
- DRAW YOUR PRIVACY BOUNDARIES
- SET YOUR REACH WITH 'REGION PREFERENCE'
- Language preference.
- GO ON A SHOPPING SPREE
- Let's buy something.
- ADDING ITEMS TO YOUR CART
- Add Order Details.
- Payment method.
- PAYMENT AND SHIPPING VIA PAYPAL
- Credit cards.
- Checks, money orders and other payment methods.
- Bank transfers.
- Submit your order.
- ETSY CONVERSATIONS (CONVOS)
- LEAVING FEEDBACK
- ETSY REGRETS? KISS AND MAKE UP
- DELETION OF INAPPROPRIATE FEEDBACK
- COUPON AND DISCOUNT CODES
- Percent Discount
- Free shipping
- SHIPPING TO A FOREIGN COUNTRY
- Shipping to multiple locations.
- REPORTING NONDELIVERY OF AN ORDER
- REPORT A PROBLEM WITH AN ITEM YOU RECEIVED
- FLAGGING INAPPROPRIATE LISTINGS
- REVISING YOUR ACCOUNT INFORMATION
OPEN FOR BUSINESS!
- IDENTIFY YOURSELF ON ETSY
- WHAT'S IN A NAME?
- PRIVACY AND USING YOUR REAL NAME
- Changing your Etsy avatar
- SHOP ANNOUNCEMENT
- Message to Buyers
- BEEF UP YOUR PROFILE
- ADD A BANNER TO YOUR SHOP
- TWEAK YOUR SHOP TITLE
- STATE YOUR SHOP POLICIES
- OTHER POLICY DETAILS TO CONSIDER
- EXAMPLE OF A GOOD SHOP POLICY
- PRICING YOUR ITEMS
- Average market price.
- FIGURE YOUR COSTS LIKE A PRO
- Tiered pricing.
- Loss leaders.
- DON'T BE CHEAP, YOU'RE WORTH IT
- CHOOSE YOUR ACCEPTED FORMS OF PAYMENT
- SPOTTING SCAMS ON ETSY
- OPERATE A COLLECTIVE SHOP
- SELLER PROFILE: INDULGE YOUR SHELF
- CREATE AND EDIT YOUR LISTINGS
- LIST AN ITEM
- 1. Let's list an item for sale.
- 2. Categorize your item.
- 3. Add images.
- 4. Add item information.
- 5. Provide a description (and more)
- 5. Tag your listing
- 6. List Materials.
- SELLING INFORMATION
- Shipping Info.
- PREVIEW AND POST YOUR LISTING
- Editing listings
- MADE-TO-ORDER, CUSTOM ITEMS
- Reserving a listing for a buyer.
- FIND THE LISTING ID FOR YOUR ITEM
- COPY YOUR LISTINGS
- RENEWING YOUR SOLD LISTINGS
- DEACTIVATE YOUR LISTINGS
- LISTING EXPIRATIONS
- DELETE A LISTING
SELLER PROFILE: ANGIE'S SUDS 'N SUCH
PHOTOGRAPH YOUR ITEMS LIKE A PRO
- HOW TO TAKE GREAT PRODUCT PHOTOS
- JEWELRY PHOTOGRAPHY WITH A LIGHT TENT
- ORGANIZE AND MANAGE YOUR SHOP
- Organize your shop into sections.
- CHANGE THE ORDER OF YOUR SHOP LISTINGS
- FEATURE YOUR ITEMS
- COLLECT PAYMENTS
- SEND PAYPAL INVOICES DIRECTLY TO BUYERS
- CANCELING ORDERS OR TRANSACTIONS
- CANCEL PART OF AN ORDER
- DOWNLOAD YOUR LISTINGS AND TRANSACTION RECORDS
- LOCATE ORDERS FROM YOUR SHOP
- COLLECT SALES TAX
- AUTOMATE YOUR BUSINESS WITH APPS AND SOFTWARE
- Stitch Labs.
- Etsy for iPhone.
- TAKE A VACATION
SHIP YOUR TREASURES
- PROCESSING ORDERS AND SHIPPING
- Expedited shipping
- SHIPPING THROUGH PAYPAL
- SAVE TIME WITH SHIPPING PROFILES
- Batch shipping tool
- Combined shipping
- International and "everywhere else."
- Conflicts with PayPal invoices
- Regional Shipping
- International shipping
- RESOLVE NONDELIVERY DISPUTES
- Certificate of mailing
- SHIPPING SUPPLIES
- ENCLOSE SOME EXTRAS IN YOUR PACKAGES
- SELLER PROFILE: ZOU ZOU'S BASEMENT
- ETSY MARKETING ON A NICKEL (OR LESS)
- PLUG YOUR ITEMS ON FACEBOOK AND TWITTER
- PROMOTE YOUR SHOP ON FACEBOOK
- My Etsy application.
- TWEET YOUR HORN ON TWITTER
- OFFER A NEWSLETTER OR BLOG BASED ON YOUR FEED
- CREATE COUPON CODES
- Percent Discount
- Free Shipping
- Deactivate coupon codes.
- PUBLICIZE YOUR COUPON CODE
- GET YOUR ITEMS ON GOOGLE PRODUCT SEARCH
- TWEAKING YOUR LISTINGS FOR GOOGLE
- Deal directly with Google.
FIND AND SELL VINTAGE ITEMS
- HAVING A SEPARATE SHOP FOR VINTAGE
- DEVELOPING A VINTAGE NICHE
- DEVELOP SOURCES OF VINTAGE ITEMS
- Estate sales.
- Thrift shops.
- Classified ads.
- Garage sales and yard sales.
- Items on consignment.
- Library sales.
- Vintage and handmade.
MINE THE ETSY COMMUNITY
- ETSY FORUMS
- TAPPING THE ETSY COMMUNITY
- Creating Treasury lists.
- Moderate comments.
- Expose your list
- Share your list
- Deal with mature content
- Searching Treasury.
- DRAW YOUR CIRCLES
- Deleting members from your circle
- ACTIVITY FEEDS
- PRIVACY FOR CIRCLES AND ACTIVITY FEEDS
- Email notifications
- Purchase History
- FAVORITES AND HEARTS
- SECRET ADMIRERS
- ETSY'S 'COLORS' SHOPPING TOOL
- GIFT IDEAS FOR FACEBOOK FRIENDS
- PEOPLE SEARCH
- ETSY TEAMS
- STARTING YOUR OWN TEAM
- TEAM DISCUSSION FORUMS
- USING TEAM TAGS
- ETSY'S TEAM GRANTS PROGRAM
- TEAM ACCOUNTS
- Team shopper accounts.
- TEAM SHOPS
- ONLINE LABS AND LIVESTREAM
PUT GOOGLE TO WORK FOR YOU
- SEO ON ETSY: BROWSING VS. SEARCHING
- FIND MORE KEYWORDS, BETTER KEYWORDS
- ETSY SHOP STATS
- SEO FOR THE WEB
- Shop Title
- Shop Announcement
- SHARPEN YOUR SHOP SECTIONS
- OPTIMIZE YOUR ITEM DESCRIPTIONS
- BUILDING LINKS TO YOUR ETSY PAGES
- ETSY MINI
PAYING TO ADVERTISE YOUR ETSY SHOP
- DISPLAY YOURSELF WITH SHOWCASE
- ETSY SEARCH ADS
- GOOGLE ADWORDS
PROTECT YOUR WORK AND MAKE IT LEGAL
- DERIVATIVE WORKS
- PUBLIC DOMAIN
- REGISTERING YOUR COPYRIGHT
- LICENSING YOUR WORK
- FIRST-SALE DOCTRINE AND 'FAIR USE' DEFENSE
- REPORTING INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY THEFT ON ETSY
- GET MORE INFORMATION
- SELECTING A LEGAL FORM OF BUSINESS
- Sole proprietorship.
- * Partnership.
- * Corporation.
- * Limited liability company.
- LOCAL ORDINANCES
- Sales taxes.
- Income taxes.
- Supporting documents.
- Reporting by online marketplaces.
- Business use of your home.
- KEEPING YOUR BOOKS
- Hiring employees.
- INSURING YOUR BUSINESS
- General liability insurance.
- Product liability insurance.
- Commercial property insurance.
- Home-based business insurance.
STAYING CURRENT WITH ETSY
- EMAIL NEWSLETTERS
- ETSY HELP
- ONLINE LABS
- ETSY'S FACEBOOK PAGE
- ETSY'S TWITTER PAGE
- ETSY SUCCESS TEAM
- SELLER APPS
- ETSY CRITIQUE TEAMS
MIND YOUR MANNERS AND DOS & DON'TS
SELLER PROFILE: CUSTOM HEMP TREASURES
If you buy a new print edition of this book (or purchased one in the past), you can buy the Kindle Edition for FREE. Print edition purchase must be sold by Amazon. Learn more.
For thousands of qualifying books, your past, present, and future print-edition purchases now lets you buy the Kindle edition for $2.99 or less. (Textbooks available for $9.99 or less.)
Top Customer Reviews
2. Register and shop at Etsy
3. Open for business
4. Create and edit your listings
5. Photograph your items like a pro
6. Organize and manage your shop
7. Ship your treasures
8. Etsy marketing
9. Find and sell vintage items
10. Mine the Etsy community
11. Put Google to work for you
12. Paying to advertise your Etsy shop
13. Protect your work and make it legal
14. Staying current with Etsy
15. Mind your manners and dos and donts
I found the book to be well written and organized. It was definitely an easy read. Probably my only complaint was the way the book's main chapters were interlaced with several profile capsules summarizing current Etsy shop owners. To tell you the truth, I enjoyed reading the profiles more than the main content of the book. I would have enjoyed the book more if the 15 chapters had been presented first as a Part I, and then the 16 profiles were grouped together as the subject material for a Part II. However, I am sure any artisan who wants the skinny on getting into Etsy and making money through it will not complain about the order of the chapters. They will be reading the book with pencil and paper in hand to take notes to help them get everything there is to get from the book. 5 stars!
I am new to Etsy and I feel like I can find whatever information I need here, and I think I will be using this book a lot. This book is great!!
Mr. Weber has written a very comprehensive book about how to navigate the Etsy marketplace. The book begins by explaining how to open an account and how to make purchases.
The real value of this book is the precise information that is given on how to open and operate an Etsy shop. Mr. Weber explains what kind of items can be sold in an Etsy shop, how to design the shop, how to list items and how to manage sales and shipping. He also goes into detailed information about how to market your shop with social media, SEO and paid advertising.
Mr. Weber explains the importance of interacting with the Etsy Community. He describes the Etsy forums, Circles and Teams. He features 14 successful Etsy sellers in this book and shares information about how they got started and how they operate and manage their businesses.
The author provides some basic information about copyright, licensing and taxes. The last chapter in the book is "Mind Your Manners and Dos & Don'ts". This section offers advice that will be a great help for buyers and sellers who are new to the site.
I read this book because I am in the process of setting up an Etsy Shop. I have sold on eBay for many years but I agree that Etsy is the best place for "crafty" people.
I was very impressed with the amount of information that this book offers. It is a very useful primer for selling handmade art and crafts online.Read more ›
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Thorough book and very helpful! I reread a few years later after bought and read it the first time ~ STILL helpful and used all the info! Timeless!!Published 1 month ago by PEN NAME
Very good book. Great Source of information. I put the information in this book to use and it workedPublished 6 months ago by Kim Loewenstein
This is a very useful book with many helpful tips for the etsy newcomer. I highly recommend it to anyone interested in opening an etsy shop. Read morePublished 14 months ago by J. Trefethen
I really like this book, it is very informative. The book arrived very quickly and was in great condition.Published 20 months ago by Terrianne
Very helpful tips on how to get started on etsy and I loved the encouraging testimonials at the end.Published on August 28, 2014 by Jeannie Smith
Great information. Useful and easy to understand. Would definitely recommend to others. I will use this as a reference book.Published on April 21, 2014 by Amazon Customer