Industrial Deals Beauty Oprah's Book Club STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services _fof _fof _fof  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis Shop Now toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 97 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 177 reviews
on November 17, 2013
I chose this rating because I have spent nearly 30 years in various countries and I know the attractions and dangers of living overseas. Naturally,I was drawn to the events in this woman's life. I couldn't help admiring and feeling a sense of pride in her courage. In many biographies women are depicted as helpless victims of the situations in which they find themselves. Quite recently, I have read several biographies in which women faced with horrendous odds remained determined to change their conditions; this has been one of them. I would recommend this book to every woman who has ever wondered what it is like to live in a country which is in a state of constant revolution. Mrs. Betancourt,was not only confronted with the possibility of being killed by her captors, but even in freeing herself was confronted by the dangers she would encounter in the Amazon jungle. Both nature and wildlife vied for her life.

Bonita Evans, Ph.D.
on December 16, 2016
it hard to beleve that in todays complex world people still treat others in this shameful manner .
on January 2, 2016
A great, thought provoking, and inspiring, biography of perseverance.
on January 29, 2014
As much as it seems to go on forever, it also conveys the feeling of how her captivity must have felt - going on forever and ever. It is long and yet somehow gripping. You cannot stop reading as depressing as the story might be. It makes you think, what would you do, who would you turn into if faced by these conditions? In light of Ingrid's story, I definitely had to reevaluate my own attitudes to my own struggles and hardships in life. The story propels me to be a better person. I never thought I would like a story about captivity, but man, does it go deep and makes you think. A must read!
on September 12, 2014
This book is about the trials and tribulations of a woman whom was captured by the FARC and held captive for 7 yrs. Overall the book was well written and I was in Ingrid Betancourt's shoes most of the time...most of the time. I don't know whether it was to flesh out the book for a more interesting read or if it is actually her, but three quarters of the way through there does seem to be an air of self righteousness on the narrators side. That partially ruined the book for me.
on October 18, 2014
I heard about this book while listening to a BBC Podcast one day and the review of the book while mostly positive did hint to the fact that Ms Betancourt was a little full of herself.

If I were to survive six and a half years in captivity, I would be full of myself as well. Where many people would have given up, she found a courage to live on despite whatever the FARC did to make life difficult for her.

A long read but well worth it.
on March 21, 2014
Although I found the whole story fascinating, I sometimes became confused. I think that was due to the back and forth of time. Overall it was a little drawn out but definitely worth a read.
I knew little about kidnappings and found Ingrid's strength not only to live through it but relive it in this book fascinating.
The whole business of kidnapping and radio programs that are available for family to communicate with their missing loved ones. How anyone can physically and mentally survive such conditions is inspiring.
on February 5, 2014
Why hasn't anyone made the movie yet??? This is an incredible incredible read. I couldn't put it down. Although I wanted to just to catch my breath, day after day.
on December 9, 2016
Very good Book...So happy when Ingrid was rescued from the Farc in Columbia, SA.
on November 27, 2013
It was hard to put this book down, even though I knew the story in part, this was one of the better reads in a long time.