- File Size: 635 KB
- Print Length: 313 pages
- Publication Date: November 1, 2019
- Sold by: Amazon.com Services LLC
- Language: English
- ASIN: B07X8QNPHX
- Text-to-Speech: Enabled
- Word Wise: Enabled
- Lending: Not Enabled
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #1,218 Paid in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Paid in Kindle Store)
Your Memberships & Subscriptions
The Event: A Second Chance Coming Home Romantic Comedy (The Creek Water Series Book 1) Kindle Edition
|New from||Used from|
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
More items to explore
- "The Event" is small-town romantic comedy at its best! Emmie is an up-and-coming professional until she's not. Her ability to pick herself up and make a new life for herself is inspiring. Her family is interfering, but it's all done in the name of love. The feud her mother and aunt have with a woman named Cootie, is laugh-out-loud funny. While the premise is outlandish, it all seems to hold together. The push and pull between Emmie and Zach will keep readers glued to the page. Most of all, these are characters readers will want to revisit again and again for laughter and romance!"-Ind'Tale Magazine
- " ...a fascinating plot full of social dramas, comedic situations and the sparks of romance. Author Whitney Dineen brings this about with a wry narrative style that builds up her punchlines well. Amusing dialogue serves to bring a fully rounded cast of quirky characters to life. The Event opens a truly excellent fiction series for chicks (and dudes) seeking a heart-warming but light read." -Readers Favorite, 5 Stars
- The Event is like the Beverly Hillbillies meets the Real Housewives of New York City, only it takes place in Creek Water, Missouri. Once again Whitney Dineen pens a story that is comparable to outrageously hilarious events you could picture in a romantic comedy movie. This is an excellent book which needs to be picked up to become a Big Screen hit!" -AJ Book Remarks
- "Emmie's big city life clashes with her small-town roots in this winning, hilarious romantic comedy." --USA Today Bestselling Author, S.B. Babin
- "Whitney Dineen never ceases to amaze me with her penchant for writing original and engaging stories. The Event is all that and more. Do yourself a favor and download this sweet book fill with Southern charm and laugh out loud moments. You won't be disappointed." -Jennifer Peel, Author of My Not So Wicked Boss
- "Funny, quirky, heartwarming, small town drama. I love the way Whitney sucks you into the story so easily. From the first line and throughout the entire book, I found myself smiling and laughing and swooning. I didn't want this story to end!" -Becky Monson, Author of Just a Name
- "Whitney Dineen's sparkling wit and brilliant humour shines bright in this delightful tale of coming home and second chances." - Bestselling author Kate O'Keeffe
- "I laughed until I cried! I want to live in this town, with these characters. Picture Sweet Home Alabama meets Hope Floats with a touch of something totally unexpected. Hollywood needs to pay attention to this one!"-USA Today Bestselling Author, Diana Orgain
- "A wildly funny, superbly romantic page-turner. Whitney Dineen brings her signature wit and wisdom to another tale that you'll think about long after you reach the end."-Melanie Summer, Author of The Suite Life
- "The Event" has all the elements I adore in a rom-com: a small-town Southern setting, relatable characters, and a witty, fast-paced storyline. Dineen brings her usual sparkle and hilarity to this super-fun novel." -Karin Gillespie, author of the Bottom Dollar Girl series
- " ...a clash of small-town ideals and younger generational values. Whitney Dineen takes small-town drama to the next level. With plenty of hilarious scenes sprinkled throughout, you're guaranteed many belly-aching laughs." -Maureen Dangarembizi for Readers Favorite, 5 Stars
Would you like to tell us about a lower price?
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
Emmie’s friend, Lexi, encouraged her to go back to the baby’s father and get child support. But she had been so ashamed that she ran out and has no idea who he is or where he lives. Then Silver Spoons laid her off, which worked out anyway since baby Faye arrived a month early! Her family insisted she come back home rather than try to raise a child in New York by herself. Her uncles offered a job and gave her a warm welcome when she showed up at their office. Then Uncle Jed asked if she remembered Zachary Grant, as a tall, gorgeous man with green eyes get off the sofa and walk over to greet her. He sure had changed since high school! The shy senior had built up the courage to ask her out to the Spring Dance at the Creek Water Country Club back then, but she and her Mama were not members and she didn’t want to show up there and draw attention from the nasty gossips. But she didn’t say that to Zach and he assumed she didn’t want to be with him. He had stopped talking to her and ignored her after that.
Her uncles continued to tell Zach that Emmie and Faye came home and she would be working on the project with them to turn a building they bought into a restaurant, coffee place, gourmet food shop, and the like. Zach asked who Faye was – her little girl. He was surprised that she was married, but they told him her fiancé, whom she had been with for 3 years, was killed in the Middle East. She was stunned but went along with the lie. But it seemed that Zach may have shot her a nasty look as he left.
Emmie’s uncles show her the warehouse and then ask her to stay with Zach to learn his plans on the plumbing since he’s their contractor. He acts judgmental toward her, makes comments she doesn’t like. What is his problem?
This well-written book was enjoyable and funny. It had all of the Southern Charm feeling, with amusing quirky characters living in a small town and hilarious happenings that will have the reader laughing out loud. The descriptions of the town and people are so well done that the reader feels like a part of the town and easily envisions the areas the author vividly describes. As Emmie settles into life back home, will she ever think about her baby’s daddy? Will she wonder about his identity? And will she figure out why she reacted the way she did with Zach when she felt his breath and fingers on her neck when she begged him to help fix the buttons on her dress? Grab a copy of this terrific book and enjoy the perks of Southern charm!
I love the wit and zaniness author Whitney Dineen instills in her characters, along with the ensemble, family feel that makes you want to meet these people. This short romance set on the shores of the Mississippi carries her signature witty, easy-to-read style and includes some great side characters, like heroine Emmeline's uncles, the family arch nemesis Cooty, and Emmeline's flowerpot-wearing granny.
Emmeline is pretty smart, efficient and grounded EXCEPT when she is cheated out of a hard-earned award and/or drinks tequila. Her single mom status does not bother her but the gossips in her small hometown are fed a line to keep them off her back. Does it work and what about baby Faye's absent father figure? The path to happy families does not always run smooth but it sure is a trip!
The start of a new series I am really looking forward to reading. Bring me more, Seymour!🤗
It's like the Beverly Hill Billies meet the Real Housewives of New York City, only it takes place in Creek Water, Missouri.
Once again Whitney Dineen pens a story that is kindred, comparable with some outrageously hilarious events that you could picture in a romantic comedy movie but also real life. I truly enjoy this woman's style of writing it's clear, concise, witty and while reading her words you can picture the events unfolding in your mind's eye. Her words always leave me with a light heart and kindness that I wish to last forever. An excellent romantic comedy which I hope is picked to become a big-screen hit!