Industrial Deals Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis hots Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 286 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 310 reviews
on July 22, 2016
This device *can* help with the heat issues inherent in the old 1st and 2nd gen backward compatible PS3 models, but that is only part of the equation. The venting design of those original PS3's (CECHA01, CECHB01, CECHC01, and CECHE01) is terrible, and in my experience this gem works quite well long-term if you follow the same kind of procedures that you would with a high end PC. Don't run it in an enclosed space where there are 5 sides closed such as an entertainment center with closed back. If possible stand it on its side instead of laying it flat. Heat rises and there is no active cooling on the top side of the console. If you are going to be away for a while, turn it off. If you are going to be away for less than 20 minutes or so, leave it running. Simple common sense steps along with the additional cooling from the Evercool Defender fan will keep your console running cooler.
on February 14, 2015
Having had the same ol' dinosaur of a PS3 for 7 years now, the fan was understandably loud, even after taking the thing apart (Does a warranty even last that long? HA) and cleaning it out inside. It would not stay on for more than 30 minutes playing a game without giving us the warning that the system was too hot and would shut down. It would still stream online through Netflix, for example, just fine though. So we figured, why not try this thing? It's way cheaper than getting a new PS3, or even a refurbished one.

It works GREAT! The system's fan is still much louder than this one, but it plays games for hours now without giving us the 'too hot' message!! Definitely worth a try if you are having this issue with your older PS3. This product is NOT for the 'SLIM' styles of PS3's.
on November 10, 2014
So this is just what you thought you might need for your old PS3. Guess what your right. While yes it does make a whering sound on start up, its a fan thats moving at 7k RPM so ya its going to make some sound.

The unit is not all that hard to put on. It is not an install job but click in place and forget it. While the lines dont match up exact who cares its behind the PS3 so is not supposed to be pretty. The Retracting wire is a nice touch how ever while a bit thin it will hide out of site and out of the way.

Im using a PS3 80gb 500gb convert Gen 2. Rebuilt twice now so im vary Mom when it comes to my system dieing a third time. I also use a motorcycle helmit bag cover when I'm resting its tired circuts. There is a significant drop in outer touch temperature and og the rear air flow. No hard numbers as of yet but its a drop I can feel.

Over all this is going to save your PS3s life down the line. Dont think so. Dont but it and dont cry when your PS3 repair says ''its cooked sorry''. Ive been in the IT field for nie on 25years now. Heat and dust KILL electronics. This fan will get dusty... die... and need replacing. But its better then the alternative...?
on January 11, 2013
Bought this product to replace an old Nyko cooling fan system that finally wore out the bearings and creating awful noise levels (not to mention no longer actually cooled).

Simply put, this product works, and is silent. BUT, there are a few things that need to be mentioned:

1. Do be aware that the emblem is just a thick sticker that can fall off.

2. The assembly is powered by a retractable USB cable that will invariably go around the PS3 (around the top/front when horizontal or behind/front when vertical), and depending on how you set the PS3, will be somewhat unsightly.

3. The silver retention hook button that has to be depressed in order to clip the cooler to the PS3 is made of a very cheap plastic and uses an equally cheap spring; both of them the type you'd see in $1 plastic toys, that that squeaks when attaching or detaching the cooler.

Again, it DOES work, even with the PS3 sharing space with an older and hot-running Plasma flatscreen. And rarely will I hear the PS3's own cooling fan rev up to "IT'S TOO HOT HERE!" level (and only because I ended up turning on the heater, and only because one of the vents is unfortunately placed directly above the theater system). Just play nice with the cooling fan when cleaning the PS3; while the assembly itself looks capable to withstand a few shocks, the aforementioned silver plastic retainer and spring assembly does not.
on May 22, 2015
I have the 60 gig backward compatible PS3 which tends to get very hot. Even after opening it and spraying it down with a can of air spray, it still got hot. So I decided to try this to see if it really works.

I didn't want to write a review right away without testing it out. Before this fan my PS3 fans would turn on low speed at 10 minutes. Then full blast at 20 minutes depending on the weather.

I then connected this fan to test out, It blows out the hot air from the back of the PS3. It latches on to the air vent of the PS3 and then has a retractable usb cable which connects to the front of the PS3.

Verdict: My fans still kick on high which seems to be a problem with the very first gen fat boys, but the system is much cooler now even with the fans kicking in at high. I am able to play for hours now without worrying that the system will over heat.

Is the fan loud? I am not sure what other people speak about when they say it's loud, does it have a sound to it? Yes... but it isn't as loud as the PS3 fans kicking at high speed.

This fan indeed helped my concerns of the YLOD happening to me.

Pros: powerful fan that does blow out the heat from the PS3.

Clips on and looks like a part of the PS3 instead of looking like a non Sony part.

Great price

Cons: the retractable usb is very weak and can break.

on October 16, 2014
So Ive only been using this cooling fan for ten days or so and it might be too early to go ahead and say its great but so far ill tell you what ive experienced. Before purchasing this fan my PS3 would be getting EXTREMLY hot. Not even after long hours of playing. I started to worry and looked into buying this fan. Now ever since ive installed the cooling fan onto my PS3 I will say there is a difference in how my PS3 used to get Before the heat would be so intense at the top and bottom where the main fan is on the PS3. The cooling fan has managed to keep my PS3 at a decent heat level. At the point where its not getting hot like it used to. extremely hot. The fan is just a tad noisy but nothing out of the extreme where youd have to turn up your game volume on the tv cause the fans too loud. No nothing like that at all. Its also a very easy set up. The fan easily clips onto the back where the fan is. I have my fan attached to where there is just the perfect space for my power chord to plug in and also not getting in the way of the Ethernet cable and HDMI cable inputs. So far I like it. It has kept my PS3 at a decent heat level. I'll recommend it. Give it a try!
on August 2, 2014
I wasn't sure what I was expecting when I picked this thing up, but I'd hoped it would at least take the edge off the internal heat the machine produces. I was in for a shock.

It far exceeded that margin, and not only is the machine just mildly warm to the touch right over the vents, but the poor fan inside the unit runs at a far lower rate, whisper-quiet. The 60GB PS3 units aren't cheap, and it's good to know this one will last a good while longer than the last two. It clipped on easily over the grill in the back, but it took a careful reading of the instructions to see exactly where it was needed (you can lock it down in a few places, but the exhaust ports are the intended place)

The downside to this intercooler is that the connectors are fairly cheap plastic, and if you have small children (or rowdy friends), you'll want to keep them away from the back of your machine at all costs. They won't melt, but they could be easily broken if you hit the bit sticking up from the above the machine with enough force. Under more reasonable handling, it'll pop off before the hooks break, but I wouldn't want to put that to the Four-Year-Old Exam.

Overall, an outstanding piece, as long as you're smart about your machine placement.
on October 13, 2013
It's hard for me to say if this is helping my PS3 that much, but it couldn't be hurting.

I recently got the dreaded YLOD (Yellow Light of Death) and had to have it 'fixed'. I have no idea if having the thermal paste replaced really fixed it or not, but my system is working again, if only temporarily.

As a precaution, I now only lay my PS3 horizontally so it's able to vent easier--or so I'm told. I bought this fan because I figured more airflow couldn't hurt it, either.

Is it extending the life of my PS3? Maybe. Is the fan blowing hot air out of the system? Yup! So, I guess, with that being said--it works as described. vOv
on January 29, 2015
I don't know what all of the complaints are about so let me educate all of these people who clearly don't know what they are talking about. It fits on ALL FAT MODELS you just need to put it in different spots on the back depending on which one you have. YES some of them require the air to blow on the power or Ethernet cable. THIS IS NOT GONNA HARM YOUR CABLES!!!! ITS WARM AIR!!!!! not fire. the wires have warm air being blown on them without the intercooler and have heat resistant insulation so that is the most irrational excuse for giving this a negative review I have ever seen. Yes this does pull air away from the GPU and CPU faster than without. If you properly line it up with the vents it does not block air.
on September 29, 2014
Great save for the now veteran system. Near perfect item that is easily attached to the back side of the system. No pins or screws, just a spring loaded plastic clip on to the existing fan slot. It leaves just enough room to still attach the HDMI cable and does not interfere with the power cables. The only real complaint it the it must now stow on the side standing position or on a little platform for the horizontal shelf. The fan attachment lifts or tilts the system otherwise. Keep the dust clear and play on gamers!

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.