Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New Album by Prophets of Rage PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 61 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 70 reviews
on April 20, 2017
In 2001 David Allen published a guide to time and task management titled Getting Things Done. The book was wildly successful and the most recent update was published in 2015. Daniel Gold has published an e-book, now in its second edition, which marries the concepts of Getting Things Done with the rich feature set of Evernote.

As Gold proceeds with his descriptions of using Evernote for "getting things done," it almost seems as if Evernote were designed with the principles of Getting Things Done in Mind.

As with any time and task management system, discipline on the part of the user is required. I recommend before utilizing Gold's book that the reader become familiar with the principles Allen sets forth in Getting Things Done. Although Evernote: The Unofficial Guide to Capturing Everything and Getting Things Done could be used without having first read Allen's book, the concepts covered in the Evernote book make more sense if the concepts already have been understood with a reading of Allen's Book.

The writing in Gold's book is simple, readable, and straightforward. No special expertise in time and task management theory and practice is required any more than with Allen's book. Gold's book, as does Allen's, illustrates principles that can be utilized by everyone from students to soccer moms to corporate executives.

The two books complement each other well. Gold's book is especially helpful for demonstrating the use and utility of some of Evernote's more esoteric and obscure functions that might be overlooked by the casual user. Gold does an excellent job of demonstrating the power contained within the Evernote app. Gold's book does need updating, however, to reflect the changes made in Evernote. Some of the more cumbersome procedures described by Gold have been updated by the Evernote app; the use of reminders is one example.

Recommended with the caveat that the text has become dated with modifications to Evernote. The text helpfully supplies business-oriented templates that can be incorporated into Evernote which then can be modified to suit the user's needs.
on December 19, 2012
The book is ok. It gives a short brief over the GTD method and did reveal to me a few (minor) things I didn't know I can do with Evernote, but all in all it's a very personal interpretation of David Allen's book. I've seen on YouTube a few other videos made by other individuals that have their own suggestions of how to apply GTD using Evernote.

I, personally, think that Daniel Gold's way of using it is a little too complicated, which relies heavily on Evernote's feature of linking notes to each other. I find this method requiring a little too much maintenance over my projects, and hard to stay consistant with it. Having said that, I can totally see how a different personality could find good use for this book.

My recommendation is to look into Daneil Gold's website and blog, or even watch some of his videos on YouTube, in order to get a grasp of his method and see if that fits with your personality before buying this book.
HALL OF FAMEon October 2, 2014
I am fully bought into the use of Evernote as a platform to help implement GTD.
So when I saw this title I jumped on it. I learned quite a few things (for example the concept of Master Notes and linking to other notes). But there are too a few outdated items that are no longer relevant since Evernote started offering reminders (for instance).

All in all, a great reference but you will find some things are now easier to do than the book would imply.
on June 25, 2012
Evernote is just an amazing product. I've used it now for a little over a year and it's been my number one goto tool for information capture and retrieval. In addition, Getting Things Done has been the digital generations equivalent of the Seven Habits so common in the 90s. However, I think GTD is flexible enough that once you understand the spirit of the system you can make it work for you. That's the great thing about Daniels' guide. He's not trying to sell you either the Evernote product or the GTD system, but showing how these two powerful tools can work together elegantly. As a side, I've recently made great use of followupthen.com and now Penultimate on my iPad. This combination of tools really makes me portable and productive. Like a lot of people these days, I practice mixed disciplines as a developer, a writer, and I'm about to launch my own small business. Learning to do more with less, track where I am in various projects and tasks, and take advantage of knowledge storage solutions like Evernote in combination of GTD is one part of the big picture of survival in today's crazy, busy world. Do yourself a favor and buy this book. It's well worth the incredibly small investment.
on February 16, 2012
I am a huge fan of Evernote and always on the lookout for information and tips that can help me get more out of the application so I decided to get Evernote: The unofficial guide 2nd Edition to capturing everything and getting things done.

While I am not a GTD follower, I thought there might still be some things I could learn from the book.
While at this time, Evernote doesn't feel right as a task manager for me (I use OmniFocus), I do appreciate how the author breaks down how one can use Evernote as a GTD tool to manage their projects and tasks. Even if like me, you aren't into GTD, the author provides some details about processing and organizing information in Evernote

Even though this book is not for me, I'll stick with a separate task manager with Evernote for capturing information, I still recommend this book to people especially new Evernote users still exploring uses for the product.
on August 24, 2014
Quite a few ideas to use. I don't think this little guide captures "everything", however. The book presumes you know GTD and Evernote quite thoroughly. Unfortunately, the external links within the text did not function. Thus, important examples were not accessible at the moment of reading. However, the link in the Appendix did work. I'd go to that to see the examples. In fact, you could go there first and load those examples into your own Evernote so they're available once you hit them in the text.
on January 13, 2012
If you are familiar with David Allen's system for personal productivity, Getting Things Done or GTD for short, and if you have a working knowledge of Evernote, an online note collecting and management system with apps for most smartphone operating systems, then Evernote: The unofficial guide... will give you some good ideas on how to implement GTD using Evernote. David Allen emphasizes that GTD'ers need to find a system that works for them personally, and in Evernote: The unofficial guide... Daniel Gold lays out exactly how he has done this with Evernote. But, the ebook appears to be a lengthy blog post reformatted as an ebook, and links to pre-formatted notes the author provides in his text did not work on my Amazon Kindle. (I'm not even certain what I could have done with the linked documents on a Kindle had the links worked.) The book's fast-paced narrative may also make it difficult for some readers to follow, particularly those who are only lightly grounded in GTD and Evernote. If you are still looking for your own personal GTD system, using Evernote and adapting Daniel Gold's techniques to your own needs may be the solution you seek.
on July 4, 2013
Evernote is great! As a note taking, document collecting app, there is none better. This book takes all the strengths of Evernote and applies them to the David Allen "Getting Things Done" methodology and it seems very effective. If you are not using OmniFocus or Things or some other software that is both capable of adopting the GTD activities, and is accessible over a variety of platforms, such as Mac or Windows OS, or iPad, iPhone, or android, then Evernote is an excellent substitute with the techniques explained in this book. Some of the improvements made to evernote since this book was written, make these techniques even easier to adopt. And it's a quick read.
on June 23, 2013
I'm a long-time fan and semi-successful user of GTD, so when I discovered the awesomeness of Evernote, I also wanted to work on adapting it to GTD.

This book itself is interesting in that it does touch all the highlights of GTD and how to adapt Evernote to a "like water" mind; however, there is much to distract--I find the writing too "chatty" (the author is a blogger) and not as structured as I would expect for a checklist-oriented GTD book. Templates are pretty basic. I got a few good ideas from it so it's worth the read, just guard your expectations.

Additional note: I found many of the links in the shook to be broken (perhaps "shards" to Evernote notebooks?)
on September 11, 2013
This book needs editing. There are far too many exclamation points, and many of the links to the author's Master Notes don't work (at least, not from the Kindle app on an iPad). The organization of the material also seems a bit haphazard and doesn't follow a logical flow. An update on apps that had been in beta at the time of this ebook's writing would also be helpful.

But this is a reasonable introduction to using Evernote with GTD. Another great resource is "The Secret Weapon" series of videos (free).