Industrial Deals Salon Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. Electronics Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon soul2soul soul2soul soul2soul  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on March 15, 2015
I saw Penn Jillette speak at the Mobile Beat show and downloaded this to my kindle during his talk. I was just as entertained reading his opinions on things as I was hearing them from the stage. Jillette has a lifetime of great stories and he shares many of them in this book. There's no real theme that runs through it so he has the platform to opine about performing ("The Penn who lives with his family doesn’t always feel like doing those tricks onstage every night in Vegas at nine p.m. But the Penn who works at the Rio wants to put his suit on and walk onstage every night at the same time, in the same mood, and perform those same miracles.") America ("One of the things I love about the USA is that it’s built on an idea. Other countries were built on everyone having the same heritage, the same ancestry, but this country was built by neophiles who wanted to get away. Wanted to live an idea. No matter how long you live in Italy, you’re not really Italian, but once you become a U.S. citizen, you’re an American.") and of course religion, ("Only atheists can be moral. If you’re doing it for reward or to avoid punishment, it’s not morality.”). If you like The Penn Jillette you've see on talk shows or from Celebrity Apprentice, I'd recommend this book. You'll get more of his outspoken, straightforward, unfiltered opinions. But if you already don't like him or think he's a pompous jerk don't bother with this. It'll only annoy you more.
on March 5, 2013
Last week after the book arrived in the mail I was reading it while waiting for the school bus to drop off our son. While we were walking home talking about his day he asked about the book, so I explained the premise (every day should be lived to the fullest). He asked me to read a little, so I did, substituting for a few of the words and phrases we don't usually use around the house. He absolutely loved it.

We read to him every night, and a few nights since then he's asked me to read from EDIAAH! He asked again last night, and since he got to bed a little later than usual so I chose the chapter "Happy Birthday!" since it was a shorter one. While reading portion about the phone conversation he started laughing hysterically. He laughed so long and so hard he "sharted". Yes, the book is that funny. It may literally make you laugh so hard you s*** yourself. If you've just had a lot of coffee or mexican food the toilet is probably the safest place to read this book.

I loved his book God, No! and this one is even better. I've read a lot of books, and I can't remember another that has simultaneously been so funny, moving, and inspirational.

Pay no attention to the negative reviews. "Happy Birthday" to them. They don't get it.
on January 16, 2014
I have been a HUGE P&T fan for about 25 years. They've been together over 30. Man we're old! I absolutely love how Penn tells a story. you're right there in the moment and sometimes you have to question: did that really happen? But if you're a fan you quickly realize yeah... it probably did. It seems he talked more about Teller and their early years in this book but in God No the stories seemed more outrageous and funny. Even still I really liked it and can't wait for a 3rd one. and we all know there will be a 3rd one. He seems to be a workaholic! As for the politics/religious views- I can give or take. Politically he seems to be your average Joe with an opinion and I don't mind. Religiously he does bring up some good points that make you stop and think. I wouldn't call myself an Atheist but I do share some of his views. Peace, love, and... pie. Yeah. That's the Penn Jillette world I can dig!
on February 27, 2016
I'm a big fan of Penn and Teller. And I like Penn's writing style. But I thought the title was a bit misleading. This book is just a collection of essays... most of which--so far at least--don't really deal with atheism at all. They're just collected ramblings by Penn on various subjects. Which is fine. Makes for good bedtime reading. But it's not really a book about atheism or contemporary atheist experience, which I assumed it was when I bought it.
on April 1, 2017
Thoroughly enjoyed this book. ,
on January 26, 2016
Regardless of your religious pont of view, this is a very good read. Mr. Jilette is insightful and presents his points with clarity and quite a bit of humor. He inserts some strong language throughout the book, bit taken in context it's not offensive. I wouldn't read this to the toddlers as a bedtime story! It makes you think and makes you laugh at the same time. You won't want to put it down.

The guy can write!
on June 10, 2014
There wasn't really enough meat in this book. If you are a regular listener to "Penn's Sunday School," you can save your money. There's almost nothing in this book that you haven't heard already. The highest point comes right at the beginning, when Jillette goes on a rant about the illogic of the lyrics to "Theme From Shaft." That and his telling of a phone conversation with a representative of EPCOT earn my rating of three stars, but the large amount of repetition (or should I say that PSS contains too many spoilers?) keep me from rating it any higher. Sorry, Penn. I still love you, brother!
on September 29, 2017
Loved it
on January 22, 2014
For a fellow who's had a far more interesting life than my own, he sure tends to replicate a lot of his bits from one book to the next. And very little of his books on atheism actually focus specifically on that topic. Not Christopher Hitchens, Richard Dawkins or Sam Harris if that's what you're seeking. A pretty entertaining read but the overuse of unnecessary profanity gets tiring after awhile.
3 helpful votes
on September 13, 2016
This was another awesome book by Penn Jillette. His stories often include famous people and fantastic situations, but the everyday person can still relate to his experiences. His thoughts are often deep and he shares them with a meaningful and personal voice. I really appreciated and enjoyed this book.