Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One ft Vant PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Trade in. Get paid. Go shopping. Shop Now STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 39 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 45 reviews
on August 10, 2013
This book succeeds as a story of a five-man sniper team in Iraq, but it is not a shoot-'em-up nor a more technical look at the art of sniping. It covers more of the mundane day-to-day life of the team.

The views presented by the author were not what I ever experienced in the military. Not all officers and staff NCO's were incompetent, power-hungry mini-Napoleons. Most I ever met were professional, competent individuals. And I never met group of Marines, sniper team or not, who exhibited such a disregard for military courtesy and demeanor. That is not to say that the author's sniper team was not rather disrespectful; I just never ran across anything like that during my time in service.

The constant demeaning of "pogues" got to be a little old. In the Marines, every man is a rifleman, and while the infantry might be top dog, I never experience the level of distaste for Marines in other MOS's. In Iraq, while many job specialties kept inside the wire more often, almost every Marine wanted to go outside of the wire, and they volunteered to do so. I know of one admin corporal who volunteered for numerous convoys until he was killed manning a machine gun in a truck turret.

The author was not a sniper himself. He was a SAW gunner, there to provide support to the actual snipers. As such, that may have contributed to the lack of technical detail I expected. However, as a member of the team, I would have expected a little more of the sniping and a little less of the hijinks in the book.

The author's brother was one of the members of the crew who put on the show "Jackass," and I could see much of that reflected in the author's view on his experiences. There was more of almost falling into canals, blasting away with his SAW, almost deafening one of his teammates with an ill-placed burst of fire and then waiting for the inevitable "pay back" from that Marine.

If you want to read about what the daily grind of combat is like, the poor food, the poor conditions, the boredom, and the like, this book works. If you are looking for something more specific on the art of sniping, it is not as good. Regardless, I thank the author for his service.
on December 17, 2011
I was a little hesitant to buy it but its worth more than the .99 cents. I think we are just beginning to see what will be a ton of true stories about our war in Iraq. There will be a ton of academics that will analyze everything but the key to really understanding any war is hearing from the men who fought it.

Not every combat soldier is Ernest Hemingway but I like that. Uncommon men sharing their lives and experiences in everyday language. Having been in the Military, he brings out alot of the 'chicken!@#$' that people pull making it more true to life than if he had been a lone hero saving the free world. I'm happy with my purchase and proud to have it as part of my collection on Marine Corps Snipers. -D.R. Tharp author of 'Task Force Intrepid' the Gold of Katanga
on August 9, 2012
This is more like the humdrum life of a grunt in the field. They do some shooting, but tells more about the "crap" that they have to put up with,daily
Stupid rules they have to follow, living conditions are straight from hell. It also shows the new military. They have to write reports on everything they do, or see.
Then they have to be very cautious around any media because it seems they are looking for anyhing that can be used against the troops.

This is no way to fight any war, having to play "mother, may I" all the time. Then having to worry someone files a complaint against them. which the troop is wrong, unless proved innocent.

IT MADE ME MAD JUST READING IT, BUT SORRY FOR THE TROOPS LIVING IT
on March 11, 2016
I enjoyed this!! It was a very good read, and as a Marine myself, it tells the truth! Maybe if all politicians had to be on active duty before they could hold office, they would better understand the weapon that we are, let us do what we are trained for without tying our hands behind our back with B.S. ROE's.
Semper Fi
on November 23, 2013
I could not get past the first couple of chapters. He got out of the Marines and then bitched about going back in. Any SNCO was worthless in his eyes. I couldn't' stand reading it. Lots of BS in this book. I did my time in the Marines- 20 years, and never had half the problems he had in his short time. I've been in that sand box a couple of time myself. Kudos for his service and time in combat.
on July 19, 2014
Not at all interesting, only had about 10% reference to sniping the rest was about how they talked to each other and that time it took to get to one place to another. They seemed to do a lot of just sitting and not much shooting. Not good reading in my opinion.
on December 14, 2011
A pretty well written book. As I was in Iraq, I was very interested in reading this. They did some of the sniping, but they did most was patrolling. I am not down marking it for that, after all, you can only write about what you have done. It was very well written and at times I had really thought about things that I had gone through as well.
on August 3, 2012
This is a great realistic take on a "day in the life" of a soldier that is more believable than just what is seen in the media. I gained an even greater respect for the guys that have gone over there. I am jealous of the connection the guys in the group have. Seems closer than blood family. Very respectable. I hated that the book came to an end.
on March 3, 2012
Jason Raab does a good job of telling the story of five guys who re-up into the enlisted Marines for the "excitement" of going back to Iraq. While the quality of the writing isn't the greatest, it certainly is good enough to keep me engrossed and reading. Ok, I do like these military stories and this one is a good one.
on April 29, 2016
Had some less that stellar reviews but I liked it.