Industrial Deals HPC Children of Blood and Bone Casual Friday Style nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Only: $44.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon marchmadness marchmadness marchmadness  Echo Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now TG18PP_gno

Every Human Has Rights: A Photographic Declaration for Kids
Format: Hardcover|Change

on November 16, 2017
Great book to teach human rights to children. The pictures and stories really engaged my students.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on March 4, 2015
on July 26, 2014
It is time for children to understand the basic human right of justice for all people. This book is a great resource for teachers and parents who want to promote global connectedness and the value of all human beings.
Around the world people live different lifestyles, look different, act different and sometimes think differently, but we everyone has certain inalienable rights that we must all respect and protect. Sixty years ago a treaty was formed to lay out just what rights all of us are entitled to. These thirty rights, adopted by a United Nations General Assembly Resolution chaired by Eleanor Roosevelt, are not laid out in a law format, but rather an ethical one that all children need to learn at home and in their classrooms. Mary Robinson, former President of Ireland says in her preface notes that "we need to make our own pledge to live by the principles of the Universal Declaration." Everyone's voice needs to be heard and respected.

In this book each of the thirty rights is accompanied by a poem or short essay written by a young person and appropriate photographs. For example the first right (abbreviated) states that "All humans are born FREE with the same dignity and rights." There are three photographs, one of an infant, one of a young Mexican woman and one of an alienated young gang member. There is one poem and an essay by a thirteen-year-old girl that states in part, "Nobody has the right to mistreat me just because I don't look, think, or act like you . . . all I'm asking for is that you show me some respect, even if you don't think I deserve it."

I thought the concept of the book, the text and the photographs were wonderful. The poetry and essays were from ePals, a safe community where children and classrooms around the world can connect with one another for educational purposes. I did have one problem with this book, not for the content which was thoughtful and very well written, but with the print. The poetry and photo captions are in a light gray print which blends in with the white background. This can be very problematic for the visually impaired. I had to make sure when I read the book I was under a good lighting source. This book would be a marvelous complimentary book to Amnesty International's children's book, "We Are All Born Free: The Universal Declaration of Human Rights in Pictures!"
on October 5, 2010
I bought this book to use in my classroom. What a disappointment. Instead of taking an opportunity to create a visually stirring message that could magnify empathy for those who need support of human rights, the author/publisher instead used the book to sneak in a homosexual agenda. The right to marry page was introduced with two women marrying in a photograph at the TOP of the page. If that wasn't enough, each woman held a child. Bless their little hearts. In a book about human rights, these two children are being denigned what should be the most fundamental, important birthright: a mother and father.
1010 comments| 5 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse