Truck Reviews Beauty Warlight Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Shop now STL18_GNO

Everybody is Stupid Except for Me
Format: Paperback|Change
Price:$14.98+ $3.99 shipping

on March 6, 2014
I have longed for a collection of Bagge's strips so I don't have to search through back issues of REASON for them. Now they are here in one place.
One person found this helpful
|0Comment|Report abuse
Peter Bagge is, perhaps, the wittiest, most talented political cartoonist out there. And paradoxically, he's also the least doctrinaire, and perhaps the only political cartoonist who doubts and questions his own beliefs in his work.

Bagge's intuitions lead him to beliefs best characterized as libertarian- the idea that the rights of the individual are sacred, and that governments cannot- or should not- ever sacrifice the individual for the "common good." Yet unlike some who profess libertarian (or Individualist) philosophies, Bagge is possessed of a strong moral sense that compels him to consider the interests of those who are the worst off in society. This essential tension, combined with Bagge's brilliant art and ear for dialogue, makes his work at once entertaining and thought provoking.

There are few, if any, heroes in Bagge's work. Most politicians strike him as less than admirable, whatever their political leanings. He finds doublespeak and self-interest as common in politicians as in businessmen, and will quickly point out when he sees taffy being distributed, whether by flag waving cultural conservatives or granola chomping communitarians. Bagge peers through the nonsense, and looks at the real dynamics

If you're tired of the sanctimonious rants of Gary Trudeau, Tom Tomorrow and other untalented, doctrinaire posers, take a look at Bagge's work. You'll come away impressed, entertained, and, perhaps, compelled to think about some issues in a new way.
7 people found this helpful
on May 20, 2010
Bagge is a favorite of mine, so I did my best to ignore his inept political observations. He has a real knack for humor in comic form. I prefer his "pure fiction".
4 people found this helpful
on September 23, 2017
I am a big Peter Bagge fan from back in the day and have followed him since his contributions to Weirdo and his own comics Neat Stuff and Hate. I did not read the original appearances of these short pieces in Reason magazine, so I was glad to have them collected all in one place. I generally enjoyed reading these thought pieces and exercises in journalism. The least effective were rants that Bagge labelled as such, but so much of the thinking was conventional or reactionary and not particularly interesting.

Bagge seemed to come alive and show his brilliance in the pieces where he acted as a reporter either at a political convention or on the campaign trail; Bagge's gift for caricature and sardonic mockery flourishes in these pages and I found myself laughing and re-thinking beliefs as Bagge was illustrating his ideas rather than mouthing cranky old man tropes.

This book is best read in small doses and the one-pagers are often more successful than the four-page features. Not a major work in Bagge's output but definitely worth reading.
on February 13, 2018
Yeah, I'm a pinko liberal so my ilk are skewered throughout this publication but that's not my problem with this collected work. It's hackneyed, simplistic, naive and just plain not funny. What's more, one of the main reasons you subscribe to the cult of Bagge is for the outrageous artwork which so viscerally mimics the emotions on display. All absent and unaccounted for. I guess we all get old and uninspired eventually.
I think I would have prefered reading about Leonard "Stinky" Brown's afterlife as worm food.
2 people found this helpful
on March 30, 2017
Humor! Insight! Social commentary! Peter Bagge! THIS IS THE ULTIMATE COMBINATION! AMAZING!!!!!!!
on July 28, 2009
God I love Peter always have always will. I love Hate and everything he has done, and this book is no exception. It's funny and crazy with his own brand of drawings that I think are better than anyone else out there. No one compares to Peter ever!!!
6 people found this helpful
on January 7, 2012
I'm normally a big fan of Peter Bagge--his Buddy Bradley books are works of genius--but this collection of self-righteous idiotic rants is a complete waste of money and time. I'm normally fine with (if mildly amused by) Bagge's Libertarian edge, but this foray into political commentary is disoriented, disjointed, and too often downright boring--the comic book equivalent of an Andy Rooney bit.
At its best, Everybody is Stupid comes off like a rambling email from that deranged relative who spends too much time on internet forums. At its worst, the subjects of its rants are predictable and outdated, often leaving you with the feeling that you had heard the same argument or pointed observation worded better somewhere before.
Save your money and go listen to the maniac at the bus stop instead--at least some of his ideas may be original.
12 people found this helpful