Industrial Deals Beauty Summer Reading STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Shop Popular Services TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 213 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 220 reviews
on June 6, 2013
I have several of Myron's cookbooks. They are well organized, detailed and the instructions are pretty good. His 'style' of BBQ is very different than mine - I like very very simple BBQ with very little sugar. I like to let the flavor of the meat speak. Having said that, I have learned a lot about technique from reading his books. I think he and Aaron Franklin are the two hottest BBQ chefs in the country. If you can't learn anything from Myron's books you are not being open-minded.

Separately, I made his cornbread recipe not once, but twice. Both times it turned out like a rock. My better half confirmed all the ingredients I put in against the recipe. I am convinced the recipe is missing something - namely a leavening agent. If you make this recipe I recommend adding a tsp of baking powder.

Overall he writes great books, but let's be honest, you didn't buy the book for his baking skills :-)

Follow-up: I wrote Myron's team at jacksoldsouth.com (via the 'contact us' function) about the cornbread recipe. I was most impressed that they wrote back immediately and admitted the recipe was missing a leavening agent...the recipe needs 1.5 tsp of baking powder and 0.5 tsp of baking soda. They will fix the recipe in future editions. So refreshing to deal with an organization that admits its errors so readily. My kind of people.
33 comments| 69 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 23, 2015
I just bought this book because of the "Only Sauce" and "Whiskey Grilled Shrimp" recipes. A friend made them last summer and they were great, even my husband loved them, not too hot or spicy. the sauce may be thick, but if you read the recipes, it is used as a marinade as is and mixed with more liquid as a sauce. I hope this is helpful. Our friend is from Kentucky, we are from Tennessee, and Myron Mixon is from Georgia, it has to be good.
on August 19, 2015
I'm currently on his first cookbook. his recipies are all great the only thing I do recommend is when cooking with this man especially be sure to use a traditional wood/charcoal smoker as a electric smoker will not keep enough heat to cook your meat for and to provide you time to add basting. If you remember his recipies you can easily win any cookoff at your local fair pending he is not around.
on July 25, 2016
My DH LOVES to BBQ. He's started a collection of BBQ Cookbooks, utensils, gear, etc. This was a perfect edition full of recipes and helpful hints for a newer BBQer. My husband's a reader so he particularly enjoyed this book by one of the stars from one of his favorite cooking shows. It gives lots of details and little stories about the author and his experiences. A great gift for a starter BBQer.
on March 19, 2015
On certain BBQ forums, I've read negative reviews about Myrons books; however, in my opinion, they can't be more wrong. What I like about this book is, the recipes are simple. A lot of BBQ "experts" will make simple BBQ complicated. Even the ingredients that Myron recommends are those found in most homes. I checked this book out from my local library and was so impressed that I bought it for use on my Ipad.

I may have mis-read something but the only issue that I have from one of his suggestions is to cover meats (with aluminum foil) which are being smoked. If so, foil will block the smoke. Maybe I made a mistake. But this is a great book.

Thanks Myron
on March 13, 2017
This was agift and she uses it a lot with great success.
on February 15, 2014
At the age of 58, I have taken up the art of smoking meat. Without the use of this book, I would still be struggling. In almost every endeavor, I have had success. In fact, I not only use the book as a reference guide for meat but for side dishes that compliment as well.

I found the Only Rub to be a great blend. The Only Other Rub didn't impress me as much but to each his own. My only complaint is I found the two sauces to be lacking. I have switched to a Memphis sauce and the dishes are much better in my opinion. Again, to each his own.

I really appreciated Myron putting this book out for us neophytes. It has been a great help!

Michael L. Gooch
on July 21, 2017
Have used many of the recipes & recommended the book to others. Good Stuff!
on August 21, 2015
It is mostly just recipes. I would like to have know the whys and reasoning behind the recipes. Myron only gives two different rub and two different sauce recipes which he uses in all the meat recipes throughout the book.
on February 11, 2014
I haven't had a chance to try a lot of the recipes in here yet, I'm still working on perfecting the basics. However, I could recommend this book for his rub recipes alone. I now make my own rubs for BBQ and it has made a tremendous difference in flavor profiles. The reason I enjoy this book so much is because it is intended for back yard BBQ'ers and has simple, easy to follow recipes you can cook any night of the week. If you are looking for competition secrets, this isn't the book for you.

I'm still eager to try out some of the other recipes, but that will come in time, there are only so many BBQs I can squeeze into a week.