Spring Deals Automotive HPC Best Books of the Month New-season heels nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now TG18SW_gno

on June 6, 2013
I have several of Myron's cookbooks. They are well organized, detailed and the instructions are pretty good. His 'style' of BBQ is very different than mine - I like very very simple BBQ with very little sugar. I like to let the flavor of the meat speak. Having said that, I have learned a lot about technique from reading his books. I think he and Aaron Franklin are the two hottest BBQ chefs in the country. If you can't learn anything from Myron's books you are not being open-minded.

Separately, I made his cornbread recipe not once, but twice. Both times it turned out like a rock. My better half confirmed all the ingredients I put in against the recipe. I am convinced the recipe is missing something - namely a leavening agent. If you make this recipe I recommend adding a tsp of baking powder.

Overall he writes great books, but let's be honest, you didn't buy the book for his baking skills :-)

Follow-up: I wrote Myron's team at jacksoldsouth.com (via the 'contact us' function) about the cornbread recipe. I was most impressed that they wrote back immediately and admitted the recipe was missing a leavening agent...the recipe needs 1.5 tsp of baking powder and 0.5 tsp of baking soda. They will fix the recipe in future editions. So refreshing to deal with an organization that admits its errors so readily. My kind of people.
33 comments| 71 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on July 20, 2013
For someone with so many awards, you would think Miron could at least write the first BBQ sauce recipe in his new book correctly. The recipe is clearly erroneous and totally unusable. Specifically, the recipe calls for a 3-cup yield, but the only liquid in the entire recipe is 2/3 cup cider vinegar and two tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce. Once you add that to all the other solid ingredients in the rest of the recipe like two cans of tomato paste, various powders, 1/4 cup of brown sugar, maple syrup, salt and pepper, etc., the "Only Barbecue Sauce You Need" ends up being the "Only Barbecue Sauce You Need to Throw Away" because it's so thick you need an ice cream scooper to get it out of the saucepan. This is the last thing that your average backyard BBQ guy wants to experience after following a core recipe written by an experienced Pitmaster.
33 comments| 26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on June 18, 2013
I guess when you get to believe your own press clippings, are on TV all the time and front your name for big glitzy new restaurants in Manhattan and South Beach you can act like a dumb ole good ole boy and fleece the Yankees.

A new Civil War only Georgia wins this time around. If you bought Smokin, save your money, nothing new or technique in this book.

Third book coming, possum's and Yankee pot roast, by the the biggest money grubber in BBQ.

I can't wait for the BBQ craze to blow over, just like fondue and avocado colored cookware.

In the meantime, spend $750 go to Georgia and learn what Myron really does and the spices he really uses. Don't waste your time on his books, he did not include the Crayola's. Of course you can learn from his kid, kind of like Ozzie Ozborne's spawn.
33 comments| 3 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on June 17, 2013
I've been a fan of Myron for years. He's cocky and he's good! Most of all he knows BBQ! This book does not give up any secrets to his award winning food but rather gets you close to it. You can't expect him to give away all his secrets and then have everyone making the same things he does at competitions now. Right? What you can expect are recipes that are 'almost' what he'd do in your place. The sauces and rubs have key components withheld from them for this reason and you have to wonder if they're as good as what he would use. This point makes me wonder why I bought the book if I'm to get almost maybe used recipes and ingredients. I noticed that one key ingredient is missing from his rubs and that's Cumin. Cumin IS BBQ, but not in this book. I recommend Steve Raichlen books for exact recipes that have been used and proven good. Sorry Myron, not today.
22 comments| 5 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on March 13, 2017
This was agift and she uses it a lot with great success.
on November 24, 2017
My husband loves smoking meats, when cooking, this is the go to book for hime
on August 28, 2015
So far, most of the recipes are pretty off, surprising. The "only bbq sauce" is crap and so think it's worthless. Secondly, the pork belly sliders, smoke for one hour at 150 covered? Not unless you want raw pork! Something's not right (write??) with this book. Save your money. Much better books out there. Pic is of his "only bbq sauce" that is so thick, it's like frozen ice cream.
review image
on January 21, 2014
I like the story, I like the recipes, and I love how he keeps it simple. This is the perfect book for the weekend BBQ guy.
on September 23, 2015
I just bought this book because of the "Only Sauce" and "Whiskey Grilled Shrimp" recipes. A friend made them last summer and they were great, even my husband loved them, not too hot or spicy. the sauce may be thick, but if you read the recipes, it is used as a marinade as is and mixed with more liquid as a sauce. I hope this is helpful. Our friend is from Kentucky, we are from Tennessee, and Myron Mixon is from Georgia, it has to be good.
on August 12, 2013
Bought his other book about smoking meat and expected a little more from this book. The recipes are for a lot of leftover bbq meats as well as some other dishes which I thought were uninteresting as we already know how to cook most of them. The author also cooks at a higher temperature and uses equipment I could not afford to own.