Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating ToyHW17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 39 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 63 reviews
on June 13, 2015
Disclaimer: I have not finished this book. However, several chapters in, I find that this book is exactly what I was looking for.
As the title suggests, it is a somewhat abstract guidebook on the conversations that parents should be having within themselves in order to parent with grace, patience and wisdom. It is NOT a traditional manual on childrearing. It is not about methods to use when disciplining or interacting with your child (though there are sections on co-sleeping, breastfeeding, etc.). (For concrete parenting tips and approaches, I HIGHLY recommend Janet Lansbury's books.) Instead, this book is about the mental workings of the parent as he or she plays, admonishes, lives with children. If that sounds confusing, let me offer an example...
My 3 year is spirited, to say the least, and can be running around, shouting with excitement one minute, or falling into a very intense tantrum the next. While I recognize that the tantrum is a sign that she's: a) sleepy, b) trying to communicate but is overwhelmed by her emotions or c) wants my attention, the intensity of her emotions can often feel like an assault on my senses and I tend to react emotionally. Then, we often fall into a battle of wills and both get increasingly upset and frustrated. Whether you believe in time outs, time ins, consequence driven discipline, or none of the above, this book is about what the parent does with his or her energy and thoughts in such a scenario and many others. When I am able to apply the approach in this book, I am able to completely improve my outlook and level of contentment. This is a much needed and often overlooked aspect of parenthood! I am very grateful for this book!
on October 9, 2016
Wow. If you are struggling with how to balance being a good parent while also trying to maintain a household, job, and your sanity, buy this book.

This book is not a how-to on parenting, or an esoteric book of brain theories, but a wonderfully honest, thoughtful book that highlights how mindfulness can ground parents moment-to-moment, even amidst chaos.

I am the father of an extremely strong-willed 17 month old boy who often challenges my ability to be the calm, cool, collected parent I want to be. Basically, I am a person who is type A and usually in control. Parenting, for the most part, is out of control, especially with a determined child like mine. What I want, and what my child want are usually two very different things. This book helped me see that it was my wanting things to be or happen a certain way that was ruining the little time I have with my son. Not a single day of my time as a parent has gone down exactly the way I planned it, and after reading this book, I'm okay with that. I'm more open & flexible to changes in my son's behavior, and I see that I was expecting way too much from him. He is 17 months old, not 17 years, and he's going to behave in ways that 17-month-olds are supposed to behave.
on July 31, 2014
An excellent book on parenting, strikingly different from most of the conventional parenting books.The book is written by two mindful and loving parents with examples from thier own Iives. I appreciate both Jon and Myla Kabat-Zinn coauthoring this book with openness, integrity and compassion. There is a beatiful balance between valuable theoritical and philosophical information and real life illustrations. I got easily engaged with the book. I thank both Dr. Jon Kabat-Zinn and Myla Kabat-Zinn for writing such a wonderful book based on the Mindfulness paradigm. I use Everyday Blessings: The Inner work of Mindful Parenting in the Mindfulness Parenting class I am teaching at Desert Garden Montessori School. The parents love this book, especially the emphasis given on working on themselves to do the challening but joyful and fulffiling parenting work.

Jagdish P Dave Ph. D, Psy D
on February 3, 2010
This is by far my favorite parenting book, although it is not a "typical" parenting book. Yes, it's about parenting, but it's also about so much more than parenting. While one can read the anecdotes and apply them to children, they can also be applied to our other relationships as well. From a parenting perspective, this book challenged me to try to see the world from our children's perspective and to slow down and engage in the present moment. I was reminded of the dangers of labeling our children, either to them, or even to ourselves - that these labels are limiting. It helped me become more patient. It revitalized my commitment to persevering in a formal meditation practice.

If you are looking for a discipline book - a book that outlines specific childhood behaviors and how to eradicate them, then this is not the book for you. It's not a "how to" book. It's not black and white. But, in my opinion, it is so much more.
on August 12, 2014
I will attempt to express how much I love this book. I began reading it while I was pregnant with my first child, he is now almost 2. The inspiring stories and beautiful teachings have shaped my mind and heart and have helped me be the parent I want/strive to be. We, as parents, are faced with daily challenges and so many opportunities to have more joy and less stress. These pages have wisdom, exceptional advice, and limitless joy. Buy it, dive in, kick ass at parenting!
on September 20, 2016
And I've read many parenting books since becoming a mother. Written by both parents, so my husband easily agreed to read it, too.
Courageous, timeless and relevant, poetic, inspiring, practical, and helpful, I will keep this Bible close as I grow into the parent my children deserve, nourished by every chapter of this wonderful, beautiful, challenging work of collected brilliance.
THANK YOU, Jon and Myla, from our whole family
on August 27, 2017
In all honesty I could not read more than half the book.

The reference to Dr.Sears and attachment parenting is an affront to reason.

His theories have been debunked.

Please read classical Buddhist thought
on August 5, 2017
I discovered this book shortly after my daughter's birth. Though she is now 19, Everyday Blessings remains a precios primer on mindfulness from a parent's perspective. It is timeless, and has become my gift to new parents. Thank you, Myla and Jon!
on May 5, 2012
This is not a 'how-to' parenting manual - it doesn't provide (or claim to provide) specific advice on feeding, sleeping, discipline, etc. It is the story of one couple's personal experience with their own three children, and their efforts to raise those children compassionately and mindfully in a frantic, materialistic world. The authors clearly believe strongly in their own choices (extended breastfeeding, co-sleeping, etc.), but do not condemn those who do not adhere to that exact parenting style.

Can anyone (even the authors) maintain Zen-style tranquility at every moment as parents? Of course not. If I compared myself to everything in this book all the time I would feel awful! But the overall concept - paying attention to everyday moments with a child - is an important one. The book talks about parenting as an up and down, winding journey, and it has many wonderful examples of how self-awareness can bring parents and children closer together as children grow.

It's beautifully written and will be on my shelf for years to come, especially for when I need encouragement in the hard moments of raising my son. Yes, it's very crunchy/touchy feely, but in a very benevolent way :) - there are great messages here for all parents.
on February 28, 2011
I found this book after loving, and benefiting from, Jon Kabat-Zinn's book Full Catastrophe Living. This book applies minfulness practice and traits to parenting. It strikes at the root of parenting rather than simply addressing the branches, like many parenting books. By developing mindfulness traits and attitudes, you can completely change your view of your children, how you respond to them (rather than ract), and cultivate the same wonderful character traits in them. Highly recommended.