Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheOnlyLivingBoy TheOnlyLivingBoy TheOnlyLivingBoy  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $79.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 2,767 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 3,735 reviews
on June 9, 2016
I bought this book because I love Mindy's sense of humor on her television shows. That self-deprecating yet congratulatory dialogue is what I expected in her writing, as well, but was disappointed. Okay, maybe there's a little of that, but it's not really the same. I feel she ends up wandering somewhere between being "funny" and writing something that could be informative or instructional. There was a lot about her stories that instead of delving into their emotional content, which I think could be just as funny and also more engaging, she skims over and underscores. I also didn't feel that Mindy is really the odd-man-out or outsider that she would I guess want us to believe. I felt like her story was pretty basic. All around I expected more from a proven talented writer.
on January 29, 2012
I got this book for my kindle as a co-worker of mine raved about how entertaining it was. She did tell me that the book was going to be light reading, and it was not like Tina Feys' (I had been contemplating on reading her book).

Her anecdotes are fun, its sort of like reading a magazine. She doesnt claim to have all the answers or portray herself as perfection. Her book is really like a blog, talking about her experiences and sharing them with an audience. Sort of what celebrities do on talk shows, light hearted humor/talk except its written.

You will breeze through the book, I actually didnt want it to end, I just felt that she was real in her words and at the end I wanted her and I to be friends, just because her personality is something I would totally click with. If you are expecting her to talk about The Office in detail, surprisingly it is not a big part of the book, again, she talks about it but it doesnt take a huge chunk of the book.

Again, if you are looking for something in depth to read, with metaphors, this is not the book, if you are just looking for something light to read, and getting to know a little more about her.. this is it.
on July 1, 2015
I am a fan of Mindy Kaling, and her book is a light and fun read. It is not especially profound, nor does it contain any groundbreaking words of wisdom, but then again she doesn't pretend that it will! My expectations were a little high after having read great reviews and watched her hilarious show, and while the book did not *quite* live up to the hype, it was very good in its own way. I recommend it to women in their 20s and 30s because you might recognize a little bit of yourself in some of the thoughts and worries Kaling shares, in addition to having a few laughs!
on November 26, 2016
I bought this expecting a celebrity memoir, and that's what I got! We tend to want these kinds of books so that we can read about the lives of people that we "know" from the media. This was light, funny, and interesting. I will definitely pick up the second one, as my biggest criticism of this one was wanting more. The anecdotes were well polished: it was clear that they had been condensed into just the pertinent and interesting parts, and that Ms. Kaling spent a lot of time thinking about what to put in the book, and how to explain the way things like childhood friendships, parental expectations, and creative failures affected her. I recommend this book to fans of the celebrity memoir genre and fans of Ms. Kaling.
on April 16, 2015
Mindy is legit funny. Not quite as biting or "deep" as Tina Fey's "Bossypants" was, but there is plenty here for a good time and really, there isn't a lot of trying to be more or less beyond the self-deprecation and what that means for Mindy and potential audience.

There *was more than I thought there would be about dating, boys, wanting love, wanting to date, etc. So like really obviously meant as self-effacing a lot of the time, but also gets a little repetitive. Like, super...well... hetero? Not sure what else to say. I guess "normative" is better word. I've never felt that reading/watching Bossypants, 30 Rock, Parks and Rec, the Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt... basically it just sticks out somehow more here for some reason out of all the comedic spaces I live in that seem to be related to Kaling's humor. It feels like a weird thing to write in a review for a comedic book but literally I was like "really?" during some instances of the book. Do we need to be Disney Princesses transported to modern times? Like I said, self-deprecating, but also, sometimes in a vaguely nefarious "it's a joke but also we all know the drill so sit and watch what you know happens." Can't explain it. I've seen parts of Mindy's show and thought it was funny. I'm going to check it out to see if I can pin-point what exactly I'm feeling.
on September 17, 2015
Well I'm a HUGE Mindy fan so I suppose it's no brainer that I would love this book. She's cute, quirky, and has the same silly sense of humor. She's the girl next door you want to be best friends with. Unlike Chelsea Handler (who I enjoy as well), Mindy is relatable, yet funny. And like her, I like to create imaginary celebrity friendships in my head. Gwen Stefani, Pamela Anderson, and Amy Poehler to name a few. So far I've met 2 out of the 3. I'll let you figure out which ones.

What's great about this book is that you can also give it to a young girl (think 12 and up) as well. Mindy's story is inspiring to all aspiring artists and a good example of what hard work and a straight head and can achieve. A nice change from the Mileys and the Britanys, if you ask me. Her drive is admirable.

The only thing I would say, as much as I love Mindy, it sometimes she comes across as being a teenager instead of a grown woman. Maybe it's because she barely addresses sex or other heavier issues, but there is something that makes me want to go Mindy grow up!

But all in all I loved the book! If you're a fan, it's a must.
on January 20, 2017
As a huge Mindy fan and avid Mindy Project watcher, I finally got around to reading Kaling's book!

I was never the prettiest, skinniest, or most popular girl throughout growing up and it is such a relief to have a great female role model write about her own struggles with self acceptance and identity. Kaling bluntly talks about what it is like to be body shammed, finding herself, and what makes her happy. This is someone who should be a role model to all women, and I cannot wait for my step daughter to be old enough to read this book and learn that it doesn't matter if you are skinny, curvy, into comedy, seriously academic, etc. as long as you are happy with yourself and what you do!
on August 12, 2016
I have to preface this review by saying I love Mindy Kaling--I watched her on The Office and loved the fact that she wrote for the show as well. When she created The Mindy Project, I followed right along. I find her humor funny. With that said, this book did not disappoint! It traces her childhood up through her career, and there are moments, many, many moments, where I laughed out loud. And it kept me up at night instead of sleeping--I had some tired work days until I finished the book! Because I've been a fan of hers and have seen her in her in so many sitcom episodes, I had her voice in my head as I was reading. The writing is natural and quick-paced, with short chapters that keep you turning the page to see what funny story she'll have to tell about her life next.
on February 15, 2015
I expected this to be a series of humorous anecdotes about Kaling’s life in showbiz. Yes, there are some work-related stories included, but this reads more like a quippy autobiography than a collection of essays, which isn’t a bad thing at all. Mindy portrays herself as a successful Everygirl; her writing style is mildly self-deprecating, but she still manages to remind the reader of her talent. It’s a hard balance to strike, but she manages to make herself sound impressive and relatable all at once, and that (to me) makes her immensely likable.

After reading about Mindy’s childhood, her budding love of comedy, and her triumphs (and mishaps) in the world of Hollywood, I became a fan, not just of The Office but of her. I will admit that I expected this to be a laugh-out-loud sort of memoir (closer to Aisha Tyler’s Self-Inflicted Wounds, which I also loved), and it wasn’t, but that didn’t detract from my reading experience. In fact, I couldn’t put it down because I couldn’t get enough of her dry humor and ability to make me smirk while reading. The only thing about this book that irked me — and it isn’t a big deal, but I can’t help but notice — is that the title has absolutely nothing to do with the book.

All in all: I enjoyed Kaling’s tone so much that I used my limited free time to check out The Mindy Project...and got sucked into a binge-viewing situation. I think it's safe to say I'm a fan!
on February 14, 2015
I so enjoyed reading this book and laughed out loud many times. Mindy has many startling insights thrown in which made me think...such as my own best friend code, when friends annoy me, how I exit a party. Her story about her second date that cancelled at the last minute brought me to tears. Her work ethic and her stance on people complaining about stress was spot on and I had to look in the mirror. Mindy, you will make a great mother and wife! Hope you find your special someone, pal and soul mate.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.