Industrial Deals Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning _baw _baw _baw  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 846 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,132 reviews
on July 7, 2014
I first saw this film in the cinema, and remember that a good portion of the audience walked out after the first action sequence -- for those of you who've seen it, you know exactly which one I'm talking about. Yes, there is plenty of violence and gore. Yes, there are things that will disgust you and possibly even make you physically ill. I mean, holy crap in a pita, I've been watching splatter-fest horror movies since I was in diapers and this movie still makes me cringe multiple times even after repeated viewing! So consider yourself warned.

That being said, let me now remind everyone reading this review that the movie we're talking about here is a HORROR movie, not a feel good family pic. I mean, the title is frickin' "EVIL DEAD," for Cthulhu's sake! I must, therefore, tip my hat to the makers of this film for creating a horror movie that was genuinely horrifying.

All-in-all, this is one of the best reboots I've seen to date that stayed true to the IDEA of the original, without making a line-for-line, shot-for-shot remake. All the thrills and chills of the original have been turned up to 11.

Fun Fact: The first initials of the main characters (David, Eric, Mia, Olivia, and Natalie) spell DEMON.

Die-hard fans of the original: be sure to watch the credits all the way through.
on July 27, 2017
I choose this rating because the movie is good. What I like about the movie is that “Terrifying, exhilarating and relentlessly entertaining” (Chris Tilly, IGN) and “Will absolutely blow you away!” (Perri Nemiroff, ShockYa.com) A secluded cabin. An ancient curse. An unrelenting evil. The original producers reunite to present a genuinely terrifying re-imagining of their original horror masterpiece. Five young friends have found the mysterious and fiercely powerful Book of the Dead. Unable to resist its temptation, they release a violent demon on a bloodthirsty quest to posses them all. Who will be left to fight for their survival and defeat this unearthly force of murderous carnage? What I dislike about the movie is that I wanted to see more of it. I would recommend this movie to other people.
on December 13, 2016
I already own the blu ray release of this movie, which is the theatrical cut. After watching the cut scenes on youtube that were put back into this unrated version, I realized that I needed the unrated version of this movie.

Even though the cut scenes are only around 5 minutes total, they add several new scenes to the movie which just makes it that much better in my opinion and really harkens back to the original.

The addition of "we're gonna get you" (which was shown in the original trailer), as well as the girlfriend saying "give me back my hand", more tongue slicing gore, and now I understand where they got the original movie poster from with Mia walking down the road in a new scene at the end.

I just wish they would release this version on blu ray - come on guys!!

Bottom line - if you liked the theatrical version, do yourself a favor and see the unrated version. It is soooo much better!
on May 23, 2016
I went into this film with an open mind, trying not to let the originals cloud my judgment. I'm happy to say that this film set outs what it says it will do, by drenching you in Gore, blood, and insanity. If you're a fan of the originals like i am I think you'll like it overall, The gripes that I had with it were that I think they rushed it a little too much... They could have spent more time building tension and suspense and the acting while it's satisfactory at best, buy the last 35 minutes of the movie I didn't really end up caring about any of the characters. In conclusion if you like the originals I think you'll like this for what it is, yeah ash isn't here but the director told the story in his own way, and I think he succeeds
on August 7, 2017
This is the reincarnation of a brutally violent, morally disgusting, cringe-inducing psychological horror. The action is so disturbing that some people will turn it off. If you can see the humor and artistic merit in a film that really shouldn't have been made in the first place, you'll love this.

Everyone else will hate it.
on July 6, 2017
This is how to do a remake! This is a super fun, bloody ride. A divergence from the original Evil Dead films, but not so much as to alienate fans of the original and a ton of nice Easter eggs. Definitely listen to the commentary track, as there are a lot of things you probably missed. Well acted and directed, and the set design and special effects are excellent, with some (but not too much GCI). Some of the most disturbing scenes in the franchise. A great film at a good price on Blu-ray.
on February 8, 2015
I am a total fan boy of the original Evil Dead trilogy that I was glad to see they went a different direction. I knew that it had to be good because both Sam Raimi and Bruce Campbell were producers on the film. They did none of the campy fun from the original and went full blown horror. The young actors all did a great job and it leaves a resonating creepiness with you. When I saw this in the theatre there was a young woman behind us crying.
on April 23, 2015
I was VERY leery when I heard they were doing a remake, but this movie scared the crud out of me. There was definitely some fun, unique new stuff in here, while keeping the flavor of the original classic!
on January 8, 2017
Scary, serious take on a Classic. A must have for any fan of the Evil Dead Series or horror fans..
on February 4, 2017
One of my favorites in recent years. This took cabin the the woods type horror films to a whole new level. This time the entire movie is contained within the house so you're left wondering what's around every corner. Definitely rewatching this one.