YED Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Subscribe & Save nav_sap_shop_all_hm_cal Shop now Shop Popular Services SneakyPete SneakyPete SneakyPete  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Go Explore Outdoor Recreation on Amazon NYNN

Format: Blu-ray|Change

Showing 1-10 of 818 reviews(Verified Purchases). Show all reviews
on February 8, 2015
I am a total fan boy of the original Evil Dead trilogy that I was glad to see they went a different direction. I knew that it had to be good because both Sam Raimi and Bruce Campbell were producers on the film. They did none of the campy fun from the original and went full blown horror. The young actors all did a great job and it leaves a resonating creepiness with you. When I saw this in the theatre there was a young woman behind us crying.
on April 23, 2015
I was VERY leery when I heard they were doing a remake, but this movie scared the crud out of me. There was definitely some fun, unique new stuff in here, while keeping the flavor of the original classic!
on December 22, 2016
This is in a completely different style from the earlier Evil Dead films. It's more dark, and ABSOLUTELY GUT-WRENCHINGLY DISGUSTING. It will literally be a challenge keeping yourself from turning away from the screen at times. And yes, people reported having to walk out of the theaters during this movie. Bruce Campbell was heard expressing his pride with that. He says, "that's when you know it really is a great horror film!" Aside from that, it's not terrible. Nothing special.. The earlier Evil Dead's/Army of Darkness, I can watch AGAIN and AGAIN. This one? Heck no!
on December 13, 2016
I already own the blu ray release of this movie, which is the theatrical cut. After watching the cut scenes on youtube that were put back into this unrated version, I realized that I needed the unrated version of this movie.

Even though the cut scenes are only around 5 minutes total, they add several new scenes to the movie which just makes it that much better in my opinion and really harkens back to the original.

The addition of "we're gonna get you" (which was shown in the original trailer), as well as the girlfriend saying "give me back my hand", more tongue slicing gore, and now I understand where they got the original movie poster from with Mia walking down the road in a new scene at the end.

I just wish they would release this version on blu ray - come on guys!!

Bottom line - if you liked the theatrical version, do yourself a favor and see the unrated version. It is soooo much better!
on October 16, 2016
Loved it! Scary and over the top gore! Huge fan of the originals and this remake did a great job retelling the story although it is missing the campy Ash character. Don't expect any comedy relief scenes other than a line or two. This version had a more serious tone to it with a ton of good jump scares. I had my hands over my eyes a few times. The main demon gave me goosebumps whenever it appeared. Definitely one of the scariest films in the last few yeasts.
on July 7, 2014
I first saw this film in the cinema, and remember that a good portion of the audience walked out after the first action sequence -- for those of you who've seen it, you know exactly which one I'm talking about. Yes, there is plenty of violence and gore. Yes, there are things that will disgust you and possibly even make you physically ill. I mean, holy crap in a pita, I've been watching splatter-fest horror movies since I was in diapers and this movie still makes me cringe multiple times even after repeated viewing! So consider yourself warned.

That being said, let me now remind everyone reading this review that the movie we're talking about here is a HORROR movie, not a feel good family pic. I mean, the title is frickin' "EVIL DEAD," for Cthulhu's sake! I must, therefore, tip my hat to the makers of this film for creating a horror movie that was genuinely horrifying.

All-in-all, this is one of the best reboots I've seen to date that stayed true to the IDEA of the original, without making a line-for-line, shot-for-shot remake. All the thrills and chills of the original have been turned up to 11.

Fun Fact: The first initials of the main characters (David, Eric, Mia, Olivia, and Natalie) spell DEMON.

Die-hard fans of the original: be sure to watch the credits all the way through.
on December 20, 2015
Much better than I thought.
This has the same framework as the original but is its own story. If you go in with that mindset you will enjoy the show.

It is not tongue-n-cheek nor is it slapstick. This is a realistic brutal version of the story.
on October 22, 2014
I bought this movie on Amazon instant the first week it was available. A friend had never seen it and was over, so we WERE going to sit down and watch it until I got the prompt you see in the picture. I can't remember if I paid $20 or $25 for it, but if you don't own it (like they lead you to believe) it's not worth a red cent. Do yourself a favor and wait the few days to buy a physical copy.
review image
on July 30, 2013
The effects are good, for the most part, with some genuine gory scenes.

All of the major issues are plot-based.

It starts with a weird flashback teaser that sets up the main premise of the story, which was basically stolen from every "demon-possession" film, ever.

Some of the original story remains...kids at a cabin, they find a strange book in the cellar, an idiot reads the words off a page that has scribbles on it, telling him NOT to read the words...panicked girl gets assaulted by trees in the woods, then the kids start getting possessed, one by one.

The problem is, they made the whole thing a basic satanic possession story; taking away all of the Lovecraftian and weird elements of the original. The great thing about that film was that there was no discernible reason for the things that were happening...no real way to stop it, and no idea how to reason with whatever was causing it.

This also left the film makers with the option to go completely crazy with the story, without having to explain very much about what was happening or why.

When they added this satanic plot element to the whole thing, they opened up so many plot holes in the story that it ends up looking like a bloody piece of swiss cheese. The ending seemed so nonsensical and wedged in at the last minute, all I kept thinking was that its only purpose was as an excuse for one more gory kill.

If you do end up watching this, make sure to keep watching 'till the end of the credits, so you can see the single most disappointing cameo in horror fiction...one that makes you wonder out loud, "Where were you when this thing was being MADE, man??"
on October 5, 2015
not as engaging as the original, but OMG is this ever one helluva gratuitous gorefest! Pretty clever allowing the tripped out sister be the lone survivor this time; the numerous role variations worked for me. Technically brilliant--enjoy!