- File Size: 2497 KB
- Print Length: 710 pages
- Simultaneous Device Usage: Unlimited
- Publication Date: January 26, 2012
- Sold by: Amazon Digital Services LLC
- Language: English
- ASIN: B0072MW19M
- Text-to-Speech: Enabled
- Word Wise: Enabled
- Lending: Enabled
Amazon Best Sellers Rank:
#1,137,660 Paid in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Paid in Kindle Store)
- #363 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Religion & Spirituality > Christian Books & Bibles > Christian Denominations & Sects > Protestantism > Lutheran
- #824 in Books > Christian Books & Bibles > Christian Denominations & Sects > Protestantism > Lutheran
- #3321 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > History > Religion > Christianity > Biblical History & Culture
|Print List Price:||$15.99|
Save $15.00 (94%)
An Examination of the Pearl Kindle Edition
|New from||Used from|
|Length: 710 pages||Word Wise: Enabled||Enhanced Typesetting: Enabled|
|Page Flip: Enabled||
Matchbook Price: $0.00
For thousands of qualifying books, your past, present, and future print-edition purchases now lets you buy the Kindle edition for $2.99 or less. (Textbooks available for $9.99 or less.)
See the Best Books of the Month
Want to know our Editors' picks for the best books of the month? Browse Best Books of the Month, featuring our favorite new books in more than a dozen categories.
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Would you like to tell us about a lower price?
Top customer reviews
This book also tells the story, in what could (I think, should) be a doctoral dissertation in Church History, of a tiny sect living in a high-walled theological cell by itself, writing off all fellow Lutherans, to say nothing of other Christian denominations and non-Christian religions, as kindling for hell fire. It is astonishing the enormities that people will take for granted!
The Biblical section reminds me very much of the old Joseph Wheless classic "Is It God's Word?" Wheless was a Methodist of some type, and his journey was closely parallel to Suominen's. It will challenge any reader, and not just the author's former co-religionists.
"An Examination of the Pearl" is spiced with ironic humor but never sinks into bitter polemicism. Its author is scrupulously fair in describing doctrines and policies he now rejects, and as such the book is a model for the "confessions of an ex-believer" genre.
Without having read the book, close-minded bigots will no doubt come out of the woodwork to decry the author's foray into the deepest recesses of Laestadian doctrinal heritage. They will tell you that everything in this book is out of context or irrelevant. They will claw at anything to maintain their state of complete ignorance. Nevertheless, I think the author says it best when he says:
"...without critical reflection like that found in this book, each [faith] is a self-sustaining doctrinal bubble that quivers unsteadily in the air, vulnerable to being poked by the slightest intrusion of fact."
Take some time to read this book if you are a current, former, or ethnic Laestadian of any of the many different sects still in existence. Read this book even if you're a curious heathen. Doing so will radically develop and change your views about so-called faith, the history of the church, and all of the doctrinal underpinnings that prop up the carefully-selected, sanitized, and misconstrued biblical (or extra-biblical) myths perpetuated from the pulpit each and every week. Prick that doctrinal bubble and see if it can't hold up (the Devil talking here). For some of you, having the correct faith is a matter of life and death; so get to it.
Set up an Amazon Giveaway
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Christian Books & Bibles > Churches & Church Leadership > Church History
- Books > Christian Books & Bibles > History
- Books > Christian Books & Bibles > Protestantism > Lutheran
- Books > History > World > Religious > Christianity
- Books > Religion & Spirituality
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Religion & Spirituality > Christian Books & Bibles > Churches & Church Leadership
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Religion & Spirituality > Christian Books & Bibles > History
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Religion & Spirituality > Christian Books & Bibles > Protestantism > Lutheran