Amazon Vehicles Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Home Gift Guide Father's Day Gifts Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning americangods americangods americangods  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Spring Savings Event on Amazon.com Ellen

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 78 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 95 reviews
on June 9, 2010
For the past couple of versions of Excel, I have always used John Walkenbach's books for learning and reference. His books provide quiet a complete reference for Excel users and this book is no exception. This edition contains forty-five chapters covering all aspects of Excel. I pretty much read through the entire book in order to familiarize myself with the latest features of Excel 2007.

This version is a significant upgrade to the previous versions. The biggest change is the ribbon bar. Yes, it is something new to learn, but once you become familiar with this, you will probably find that this really is a much better idea.

Walkenbach covers all aspects of Excel in his books such as:
1. Formulas and functions
2. Charts
3. Graphic objects
4. Advanced features such as data validation, number formats, sharing data, etc.
5. Analyzing data with pivot tables, what-if analysis, goal seeker and solver
6. A whole section (seven chapters) on VBA programming

His book also contains appendixes covering worksheet functions, Excel resources and Excel shortcut keys. Included also with the book is a CD-ROM containing the complete text of the book. But, what I really like about the included CD-ROM are the sample files. Sample files are included for each chapter. You can load them into your Excel directory and access them as you read the chapters and practice what you are learning thereby not just reading but getting hands on experience.

Yes, I know at this point in time, you can now order Office 2010 and Walkenbach has released his book on Excel 2010, but I would say that, based on my experience with Walkenbach's previous versions this review would probably also apply to the 2010 version I'm sure. Of course, many people will not be using Office 2010 for some time to come, such as myself, so I decided to write this review anyway for those who will be using Excel 2007 for the near future.
on December 27, 2008
I love using Excel at home for just about anything I can find using numbers. I enjoy making data bases, charts, graphs, pivot tables, conditional formatting, formulas etc etc. But since Excel does so much I rely on a good book to refer to to answer difficult questions.

With 866 pages this bible covers just about everything from simple introduction to much more difficult over my head information. I had a similar book for an older version of Excel and bought this after I updated to Excel 2007. Some of the help books cover specific areas of Excel, this one covers it all.
on January 8, 2012
I have found this book to be a great reference when I'm working on formulas and formatting in Excel. The only reason I did not give this review 5 stars is because, sometimes, it's hard to find the answer to a question unless you know exactly what you're looking for. The answers are in there, there's just not always a clear path to them. Otherwise, a great reference book!
on February 3, 2014
This goes into far greater depth than I actually needed. I loaned it to a friend who used to work for a software company and is really into modifying Excel spreadsheets for specific uses at work. He said found it very helpful.
on September 19, 2010
I teach Excel on a regular basis. My students are all working people who need to be able to use Excel in their jobs. I teach at the beginning, intermediate and advanced levels. This book makes an excellent text, and each student gets a copy. For each topic I discuss in class, I give them directed reading in this book. It makes a great reference. In some other reviews, I have seen complaints that this book is very difficult to learn Excel from. I can see where that would be true; but, once you have a base of Excel knowledge, this book is very good for building further skills. It is not for the novice who has no other source of learning.

Excel is such a huge topic, that it is impossible to cover it all in one book. As with all other Excel authors, Walkenbach has omitted some things. The most glaring omission is the Subtotal command (not the function). I am continually amazed at the people who have been using Excel for years and don't know about this command. It is not covered in John's book (at least, I haven't been able to find it even with a PDF search), but the subject is covered pretty well in Help and is easy to find there. The other subject I wish he had included was Advanced Filtering. Advanced Filtering is a true workhorse in Excel. Any heavy user of Excel should know how to use it. I feel it is more valuable to the daily user than the intricacies of array formulas. If he had covered those two topics, I would have given him five stars. Regardless, this is a very good book.
on May 13, 2015
In the absence of a Faithe Wempen Excel 2007 book, I purchased this, and it's not bad. It does the trick most of the time, although I do struggle with finding things sometimes.
on May 26, 2013
Like the 2003 version, this book and CD can save a user a lot of time and frustration that can be expended trying to work out some problem with MS's dismal and neglected help files or on the many dedicated web-sites. It's well organized and, I think, pretty complete. Probably too light for advanced users, though.
on August 6, 2011
Content is good and the readability is good. Page readability is poor. Pages look like they have been copied with poor quality copier. Also recommend all illustrations be in color. If book cost more for this to be done that would be ok if reasonable.

I would like to see more formula development and illustrations. It would be also helpful to have a website to ask author questions.

Thanks,
Jerry
on September 3, 2015
Never read it because it is too dense. I personally believe the best way to learn things like this is to actually practice with it.
on October 12, 2015
Best overall guide for EXCEL 2007. Very in depth and comprehensive. Dry reading but it helped me with several projects.