Your Garage Luxury Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Samsung S8 Launch Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Book House Cleaning animespring animespring animespring  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch National Bike Month on Amazon disgotg_gno_17

Format: Paperback|Change
Price:$15.04+ Free shipping

Showing 1-10 of 31 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 38 reviews
on April 8, 2008
This is a great book to have as a resource for not only some of the new features of Excel 2007, but also as a primer to what a data warehouse is and what it means to build one. Of course, the latter is something that can be learned in depth in many other texts, but for a user of Excel, it makes for a good launching point to other more complex concepts of data warehouses and BI (Business Intelligence).

There are many great examples that can simply make spreadsheets look and work better regardless of whether you are building a dashboard or not.
on April 5, 2010
I've been working with a web analytics tool to track our corporate web site performance. I found the available reports to be limiting, but recently learned that I can import the raw data into Excel. However, I needed help with what to do once I had the raw data! I want to disseminate this information throughout my organization, but don't want maintenance of the dashboard to be a full-time job. But I really wanted to be able to display trending.... that's what my users care about. So I ordered this book. I use Excel, but not extensively. I knew how to do pivot tables and charts, but had never used functions such as VLOOKUP. This book gave me the advice I needed to set up a useful, visually appealing, and maintainable dashboard. It was especially helpful in getting past my unfamiliarity with the 2007 version of Excel. Now I'm looking for a more advanced Excel book. I highly recommend this book as a first step into the world of dashboarding. If you get this book, don't forget to download the examples - it helps a lot to see how the functions interact.
on July 27, 2010
This book is very easy to follow, takes you painlessly and logically step-by-step through the dashboard development process and using Excel to get you there. My organization was so happy to see a single dashboard that I developed using this book that used to take 6-8 Powerpoint slides to present.
on February 28, 2013
I'm a pretty advanced Excel user, but got a lot of good ideas and tips on dasboarding from this book. It's packed with practical tools and advice. The author does a great job of explaining, step by step, how to use various form controls, charting tools, pivot tables, macros, and more.

I especially liked the sections on form controls, macros and Chart Design principles. I tried using Mr. Alexander's design principles on one of my recent charts (a chart that I had previously been rather proud of, but after reading, realized was a clunky and cluttered abomination). Using his "less is more" principles I turned that baby into a thing of beauty and a joy forever. I'm starting to feel like the Frank Lloyd Wright of Excel charting.

I might add that the author has a quirky sense of humor that helps make the book an enjoyable read.
on August 21, 2013
I love Excel. This is one of the few software that actually holds the test of time and keeps seeming to get better. But, getting better also means getting more complicated. This is what makes the "For Dummies" series so valuable. I can say that it would be nice if they added in interactive modules for download or created special forums for those of us who purchase this product to bounce ideas and questions around.
VINE VOICEon June 28, 2010
I've always considered myself a knowledgeable Excel user, but this book taught me a lot of new tricks and improved my knowledge of Excel charting. I'm new to the whole dashboarding concept but Dashboards and Reports for Dummies laid everything out in easy-to-understand chapters that slowly build upon each other. While this book won't make me a dashboards expert it will make it possible for me to present concise and useful information to my management team. Highly recommended for beginners and experts alike.
on March 19, 2014
This book clearly present the steps to making a dashboard. Starting with the pivot table, they build on various dashboarding concepts- conditional formating, the camera option, macro, sparklines, to dynamically linking excel to power point.

The authors make excel dashboarding easy, effective, and powerful. Thank you to the authors for making such a clear and useful book. This excellent book has really improved my output at work.
on January 5, 2013
I would whole-heartedly recommend this to anyone interested in building dashboards in Excel, or even anyone interested in representing data more effectively within Excel.

I especially enjoyed the functional nature of the book, in that you could immediately start applying what you have learnt, and I also enjoyed the fact that the author touched on the reasoning for doing something a certain why.

An excellent read, buy without hesitation!
on January 24, 2013
After taking a statistics course at my local university, I was able to convert the knowledge into practicle application with the use of this splendid book. As always "books for Dummies" are always broken down into useful compartments. The book does acknowledge that the user have had some statistical and Excel experience.
on December 24, 2012
After reading Alexander's book, I was able to put together a solid dashboard for one of my business partners. She loved it! The book teaches you how to use formulas, functions, and conditional formatting to help managers make informed decisions. I'm pretty good at Excel and this book taught me a few tips and tricks to add to my toolkit.