Truck Reviews Beauty Spring Reading Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc CMA Fest Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Shop now STL18_GNO

on June 17, 2017
Strainer is bent on bottom - either bad packaging or broken beforehand - DO NOT BUY!!!
review image
7 people found this helpful
on March 14, 2013
This colander falls into the disappointing category. In fact, the only redeeming quality to this product is the price. Once you get it out of the box, you realize that the box is sturdier and weighs more than the colander. The base is loose and the bottom pops in and out of place. The one I received also came with some sort of coal like black residue on it. I am not sure but think this should go in as a child's toy and not an actual kitchen gadget. If you are looking for a quality colander look elsewhere.
21 people found this helpful
on May 18, 2016
This strainer is of good quality steel and really big size too. I use it to strain pastas,noodles, washing veggies,mushrooms. Works great!
review image
7 people found this helpful
on May 2, 2013
A colander with a handle is such a simple idea...and such a good one. You can rinse your fruits and veggies and only need one hand to hold the thingy, leaving the other free to turn the tap on and off, wave at a neighbor through the kitchen window, shoo the cat, or whatever you like. There is another handle...the usual little grip-style, on the opposite side, so when you're dealing with something heavy, like when draining a big bunch of cooked pasta, you can use two hands for added stability.

The colander has a nice wide ring base, so it won't tilt if you place it in the sink. How frustrating is it to watch a portion of spaghetti or those expensive out of season blueberries toddle down the drain when your draining or rinsing!

The ExcelSteel Colander is nice looking too. If you have one of those kitchen racks, you could certainly mount this there. The handle does mean it takes up a little more storage room than the ordinary short handled variety, but that's a small price to pay for the added convenience.

Speaking of small prices, that $17.17 price tag for the 3 quart size isn't exactly tiny. For some reason the 5-quart version is, as of this writing, about $4 cheaper, at a bargain price of $13.47. The 3 quart is fine for my purposes, but I cook for one or two most of the time. But if you want the most bang for your buck, or have a larger group sitting around your kitchen table, opting for the bigger and less expensive version makes sense. It's not so much bigger that it's going pose a greater storage problem.

My grandmother, who came from Poland, spoke very little English. When her colander broke, she trudged to the store and, not seeing what she needed, asked the man for a "Noodle Stop, Water Go." He figured it out.
3 people found this helpful
|88 comments|Report abuse
on April 27, 2017
I purchased this product in anticipation of moving into my new house. It was fine when I received it. I kept it in the plastic wrapping, in a box, inside of a temperature-controlled room. By the time I went to unpack it a couple of months later, it was already beginning to rust! I was outside of the return period and didn't really feel like dealing with it, so I ended up just throwing it away. I can't imagine a replacement would have lasted long, anyway.
on October 2, 2015
When our plastic colander broke, we turned to Amazon in order to find something a bit sturdier. I read many of the reviews and chose this product. It's very sturdy and the holes are spread apart where it allows for easy draining without losing any pasta. I used to have to worry about my pasta falling out of my old colander, but not this one! I like the sturdy flat bottom that rests nicely in my sink to allow for me to pour my pasta in without trying to juggle the colander as well to keep it straight.

As others have said, the water will tend to pool at the bottom of your sink due to the lack of bottom holes. To me, that's the one thing I would improve, but it's not a deal breaker. I just lift the colander up and shake out all of the water. All in all, this is a good product and I am satisfied with my purchase.

I purchased this item at full price.
on May 13, 2017
The colander I received is very large and made of beautiful, shiny stainless steel. It also has a substantial weight, and is quit thick, it seems to me, and not at all lightweight or flimsy as stated by some reviewers. Perhaps they received a different product. Made in India. I did not quite expect such a high quality item, especially for the price. I definitely recommend this colander, unless you need to save space, as it is quite large.
on April 6, 2017
It's basically a bowl with holes in it. Normally, that would be called a collander, except that the holes on the bottom are so ineffectively placed that this bowl with holes will hold about 1/4 cup of water. It's maddening having to tip and tilt and swirl to strain your boiling-hot pasta.
on November 3, 2015
I purchased this metal colander to replace my plastic silicone one. And while I do think this colander is better than the plastic ones in terms of durability and resistance, this particular one is not the best. Please be aware that it's made of very thin metal, and feels flimsy and poorly crafted. Also, it doesn't drain all of the water from the pasta and I would have to shake off excess water. I don't think there are enough holes in the bottom and that's why it doesn't drain properly. It works well, but it's not an overall excellent product. I have since replaced this product with something that's better crafted and has way more holes for proper drainage.
on November 14, 2013
It's ok, as in previous reviews, the round label glue on the bottom, and even the piece of tape / glue that hold the inner label simply will not come off, I've tried everything short of torching it. I got it to be able to drain boiling foods like straining beef broth to make gravy for example, and I think it will work. Concerned about losing a handle while I'm using it for hot foods, but if I have the same "discoloration" issues, or if the handles fall off, or if the bottom comes off, or anything, I'll update. The handles on each side are atttached crooked, one is up slightly higher than the other, so it's not cosmetically perfect. (Afraid to "bend" it down to match...) So, it's ok.