Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Trade in. Get paid. Go shopping. Shop Now PSFF17_gno

Format: Audio CD|Change

Showing 1-10 of 33 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 412 reviews
on June 17, 2001
As with most of DM's work, you definitely won't hear much of "Exciter" on mainstream radio. Musically, DM gets deeper into its own style while lyrically making a dissertation of the emotion love. "Exciter" is an evolving story from the first track to the last.
Just like the "Black Celebration" album was an evolution from darkness to light, "Exciter's" lyrics start with a yearning for love and flesh in an adolescent fashion and evolve into a deeper understanding of the emotion. It's impressive how each track brings into focus a single chapter of the larger story, yet no two are alike.
The sound is unmistakably DM, but like any band that has been around for more than a few albums, their style evolves and matures from the unique sound that made them famous into something far more sophisticated and even cerebral. Only 2 tracks in Exciter are fast tempo, but none are really slow enough to be called ballads. "I Feel Loved" (track 9) is a candidate for your local club, but it's the only track of that genre. The production in the whole album is crisp and dynamic, which is surprising given the depth and richness of the bass. They've finally discovered the bass drum!!! Yeah, okay, so I like it.
A must for any DM fan. Expect a bit of a "Violator" vibe, while musically it is completely original from anything you've heard by DM - which is the idea when you put out a new album. They nailed this one.
on May 18, 2001
Unlike some of the other "Exciter" reviewers I adored their last CD "Ultra." I thought it was honest, interesting and extremely solid, "Exciter" however, is fairly dull. Like other reviewers have pointed out, much of the album is very slow in tempo with just "I Feel Loved" and "Dream On" picking up the pace a bit. Not that I am saying a slow tempo makes for a bad album, but it does get a bit boring after awhile. I like a little variety. My other problem with this CD is the cheesey lyrics. Song after song deals with (presumably) Martin's love life (which seems to have improved 'cause he's all gushy). After awhile, I was sick of "sharing our freelove" as Dave softly sings on the track "Freelove." I am disappointed that they seem to have lost the edge that made them the best in dark electronic.
on May 17, 2001
This time out, Depeche Mode offer up a mellow batch of songs that aren't great, but they aren't bad. "The Sweetest Condition" appears to be a sequel to "The Sweetest Perfection" from "Violator" but "Exciter" is not as good as that cd is. It seems the band is retreading on songs like "Dream On" and "The Dead Of Night" because I found myself reminded songs from "Ultra" and "Songs Of Faith And Devotion". Staunch Depeche Mode fans will probably not be disappointed and new fans may show some interest, but where did the hooks and melodies go? Depeche Mode used to turn out some memorable songs and now with "Exciter" it seems that spirit is lost. Dave Gahan's voice has never sounded better but where are the memorable songs? Is this the same band that gave us "I Just Can't Get Enough", "People Are People", "Personal Jesus", "Somebody" and "It's No Good"?
on April 27, 2017
A really good album. Amazing they have been making good music for so long. Don't expect to hear on the radio any time soon! Enjoy!
on January 23, 2017
I am a huge fan of Depeche Mode. This album is really good and a plus is it came autographed so I am really lucky.
on February 21, 2016
Nice product. True 180 g, honest pressing (which is rarely the case, even with so-called “audiophile” LP’s -> this one does not present noticeable distortion on high levels, nor too much dynamic compression). It is a good way to listen to Depeche Mode, but I guess you can’t do better than their original mix (digital and not very good). Oh! and a note: this version is mastered with a lot of bass (substantially more than on the original [digital] edition). I guess it’s their remastering. It’s cool for an LP, since they tend to be shy on bass.
on January 6, 2009
4.5 stars.
I write this review only to try and do you the service of attempting to counter-balance the negative reviews. If anyone tells you that this is a poor album I tell you then to put their word to the test and listen to it and make a decision for yourself. That's what I had to do and I personally love nearly every song on here. Exciter is definitely not to be underestimated. If I had to choose three favorite Depeche Mode albums to be completely honest this under rated one just might make the cut along with Violater and Playing the Angel.
on May 29, 2005
I really do not know why so many Depeche Mode fans do not like this album. Yes, it is not "Violator" and no band not even our beloved Depeche Mode could duplicate their masterpiece recording. This album is a more mature yet still delightfully creative piece of art. Dave's singing is mature and the songwriting is still dark yet very romantic. This album at least lyrically and mood wise, feels much more personal and autobiographical. The reason I love Depeche Mode is their music has always grown and matured in different directions as the years pass. Each album has been musically and lyrically creative and special in it's own way. I believe Depeche Mode will be someday recognized along with Madonna in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Both are musical mavericks with the ability to reinvent themselves musically. The guys have come a long way from their first album.
on September 2, 2017
I love this band! Thank you for fast delivery!
on July 20, 2017
Great record. Its cool to hear the different edits too!