Exergen Temporal Artery Thermometer
- Accurate temperature with a gentle forehead scan
- More accurate than ear - Harvard Medical School study
- At least as accurate as rectal - Hospital for Sick Children study
- Use on sleeping infant, or child with ear infection
- Imbedded silver destroys bacteria, mold, mildew and fungi... naturally and safely
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Actual product packaging and materials may contain more and different information than what is shown on our website. We recommend that you do not rely solely on the information presented and that you always read labels, warnings, and directions before using or consuming a product. Please see our full disclaimer below.
Top Customer Reviews
I actually wrote my Master's research paper on these thermometers, and here are a few tips in order to use them accurately:
1. run the thermometer from forehead (above the eye) all the way into the hairline. DO NOT LIFT the thermometer at all!!!
2. repeat this 2 more times
3. take the HIGHEST of the 3 readings. It is always important to take the HIGHEST as it is most accurate. There is a chance it didn't read right on the artery so it wouldn't be as high, which is why it is best to do 3 readings.
4. clean the head of the thermometer with a Q-tip and some alcohol occasionally to help it read accurately.
5. If your child is sweaty, the sweat dries off quickly and cools their skin temperature, so it isn't as accurate! In this case, it is better to run the thermometer over their carotid artery on their neck- off to the side of the voicebox. Run the thermometer side to side, and not up and down.
If you follow all of these steps, this thermometer is quick, easy and very accurate. I highly recommend it over any other form of temperature taking for young children.
1.) Test it on me - both readings came out about 98.8 which is good because the average human body temperature is 98.6.
2.) Test it on my wife - we have always known she runs about a degree cooler then the average. We know this because this always occurs during hospital visits or doctor visits, she just runs cooler. We tested it on her three times and it came back about 97.5 which is what we expected.
3.) A sick baby - our daughter's daycare told us yesterday that she was running a 104 degree temperature. They used an in ear thermometer to test her. We picked her up and tried the Exergen on her and consistently came back with a 106 degree temperature. We took her to the ER where the ER nurses tested her using their high end forehead thermometer (like ours, only industrial and hooked to a big machine). It also read at 106 degrees. Routinely through the night they kept taking her temperature using their industrial forehead thermometer. When they would leave the room, I would get up and test her with the Exergen thermometer and it always came back the same temperature as the hospital's readings.
Suffice to say that I very much trust this thermometer to give us an accurate view of our daughter's temperature.
The unit looks and feels like it is well-made. I consider it one of the best investments we have ever made and I would definitely buy it again if I had it to do all over.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Great thermometer if you don't want to keep sticking your baby's bum with a rectal one. That being said you really have to follow the instructions on this one to get accurate... Read morePublished 8 days ago by Stray Cat
I purchased this thinking it would save me some time and frustration but it has actually added to it! I get a different reading no matter how I do it. Read morePublished 10 days ago by Kristina J.
Apparently unless you're a medical professional, you can't get this thing to work. I bought this to track my fertility, and after days and days of trying to get it to work in the... Read morePublished 15 days ago by Buttercup TDD
Was exactly what I was expecting. Same brand as most hospitals use.Published 19 days ago by Steve H Jacobsen
Compared our results to the ER medical staff thermometer. Off an entire degree which is critical for babies and infants. However, seems more accurate on my older children.Published 20 days ago by Matthew Lamb
Wonderful product. It is nice for when your kiddo is sick and you don't want to wake them.Published 1 month ago by Chris Brown
Worst and most frustrating thermometer. Always a different reading. Read 98.9, 96.7 and 98.2 before taking my doctor to ER where we found she had a 101.5 fever. Read morePublished 1 month ago by MegRoney