Amazon Vehicles Beauty Return your textbook rentals STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning Moonlight Moonlight Moonlight  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Spring Savings Event on Amazon.com toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 258 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 270 reviews
on October 29, 2012
Let me start by mentioning that I ordered this from Amazon and it arrived super fast!! I ordered it on a Sunday night and although it was not scheduled to arrive until the following week, it arrived within a few days (Thanks Amazon!). UPS delivered it to my door and since I happened to be home at the time, they brought it inside and dropped it off at my entryway (every little bit helps!). Since I'm in a split level condo, I had to haul the 150 box upstairs. That was probably the toughest part of the whole experience. Once I managed to get it up to my home office, the set up was pretty easy.

Everyone has different reasons for purchasing a treadmill which is reflected in their review. I am writing this review based on my very specific intent of using this as a walking treadmill desk. This is the second treadmill I have purchased for this specific reason. My first treadmill was a much higher-end treadmill with all the bells and whistles you could think of and I used it for nearly 3 years. The problem with the higher end treadmill was that it was VERY LOUD to begin with and VERY BIG (even though it was foldable it was too heavy to move. I finally got rid of it because the noise was just too unbearable. In comes the Exerpeutic TF1000 Walking Treadmill. I was a bit nervous to get what I perceived as a "lower end" treadmill, but after a lot of looking around and reading hundreds of reviews, I decided to give this one a try.

I AM SO GLAD I DID!!

I've had this about a week now. So far, so good. There were a few bumps along the way, which kept me from giving it 5 stars (explained below), but I managed to get them worked out. I am walking on my treadmill right now at 3.0 mph/6% incline.

PROS:
**EXTREMELY QUIET!!! The lower the speed the quieter it is. My normal walking speed is 3 mph. I can listen to music at a normal volume, I can hear my doorbell ring, and I can listen to a conference call. If I lower the speed to 2 mph, I can have a normal phone conversation without the other person hearing a weird humming sound in the background.

**INCLINE. The problem with many "walking treadmills", including some of the very expensive treadmill desks, is the inability to incline. While it may not be important for everyone, it is to me - it's what ultimately led me to purchase this particular model. This is one of the only treadmills in the "walking treadmill" category I could find with an incline option. Although it is a manual incline function, an incline is still an incline! There are 2 pre-set inclines using the Incline Adjuster in the back of the frame. The 2 options are either a) 3% incline degree or b) 6% incline degree, which is the one I use.

**HANDRAILS PERFECT FOR A DESK!! The handrails is the perfect size for a desk. There is still plenty of clearance for my legs to move at full stride. I am 5' 4", so the height of where the desk sits on the handrail is right at the cusp of being ergonomically comfortable for me. For someone too much shorter, it could be ergonomically uncomfortable for the wrist and shoulders with long term use. The size of my desk is 18.5" height x 34.5" wide. 3/4" thick plywood. I am using the same desk I used on my original much larger treadmill. The desk sits right where the handrail controls buttons are located. Because this console is much smaller than my old treadmill, I still have about another 4-5" opening between the top of my desk and the console. I'm using this opening for baskets which allows me to put things I might otherwise put in a desk drawer.

**CONTROLS ON BOTH HANDRAIL AND CONSOLE: I was originally concerned that the controls on the handrail might get in the way of my desk, but as you read in my previous point, this was no issue at all due to the large size of handrails themselves - there is plenty of real estate to place a desk. Having the controls right on the handles has become my favorite thing! I absolutely love it!! As a matter of fact, I can't imagine how I managed without it!! As for the main console, I really like the small size (i.e. not so bulky). It has the key features I need which are a) SPEED/MpH b) DISTANCE and b)TIME spent moving. There is also CALORIES and HEARTRATE, which I consider more of a "nice to have" rather than "must-have". (You're better off using a free online calorie calculator using the SPEED, DISTANCE and TIME along with your weight, age and gender to get a more accurate reading).

**COMPACT SIZE, LIGHT WEIGHT. OK, "light weight" is all a matter of perspective, but compared to other treadmills that are nearly 200, this 130 lbs treadmill is light weight. I'm able to move it if need be by myself. It takes up a lot less floor space and the compactness of the console is a definite plus.

now time for the CONS:
**Either the console is confusing or the manual is confusing - I'm not sure which. There are a lot of things which the manual simply never goes over. For example, there is nothing about the manual about the heart rate monitor let alone explaining why the console starts beeping after awhile when its registering your pulse. It doesn't explain how to change room temperature from C to F or how to change the clock from 24 hour time to 12 hour time.

What really had me knock this rating down to 4 stars was because I had to do A LOT of adjustments with the actual belt! The belt was centered on arrival but after about a mile or two of walking, the belt moved to the left. I adjusted it using the provided Allen wrench, but then it wound up to the far right. This back and forth movement went on all day! And if it wasn't already bad enough - the console began to show an "ERROR 6" code and the treadmill would just STOP. I couldn't find the meaning online, but I assume it has something to do with the belt. The only way to get rid of the code is to shut off, wait 2 seconds and then power back up. Needless to say, I was extremely frustrated by the end of the day.

On the second day, with my head much clearer and my patience restored, I tinkered a bit more with the screws and finally got the correct tension to keep the belt in place. I'm nearly at 20 miles and so far it's been good. TIP: Even though the manual says to turn 1/4 at a time, I think turning a 1/4 may have been too much. I recommend turning only 1/8 at a time.

In case anyone is interested in seeing my desk, I submitted a few pictures along with notes in the product picture section.
I you are looking to add your own desk directly on the handrail, you will need to be mindful of the weight of the material you are using. Plywood or plastic would be good. I would recommend not using solid wood because it is will be too heavy on the rails. BTW - To keep the desk in place all I did was screw in 2 "cup hooks" one each side of the plywood. I then attached one bungee cord to the left hook, wrapped it once around the left handrail, stretch the cord underneath the desk, wrapped it once around the right handrail and then hooked it to the right cup hook. No tools needed!

Aside from the issues with the belt adjustment (which ended up being solved), I would most definitely highly recommend this particular model to be used as a treadmill desk.

I hope this review and pictures helps!
review image review image review image
55 comments| 199 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 14, 2013
It doesn't have all the bells and whistles of more expensive treadmills, no auto-incline, no speakers, no jogging map on-screen, or ipod connection. Which is good because that's not what I was looking for. There isn't a great deal out there on the internet but I did as much research on this as I could, found a few vids on youtube and the company website also, read thru the user guide. I found numerous positive reviews and a handful of negative reviews. On balance this sounded great so I went ahead and took the plunge. Amazon had the best deal and I managed to get free shipping with a prime trial. Delivery took about 10 days by UPS, and as luck would have it I was at home and looking out the window when UPS arrived, I helped the two delivery people carry from the truck to my front porch, this is a big box, 149lbs, sheepishly I asked if they wanted to help me take it inside, they 'didn't hear me' and were back in the truck before I could blink! So I lugged it up the step through my front door and then down the basement stairs, I'm not the fittest but survived, would not recommend most people doing this! Get someone young and fit to help you manoeuver the box. Unpacking wasn't too difficult, and setting it up took me about an hour, mainly because I read and re-read instructions to the nth degree before doing stuff so take twice as long as most might, it all went easily anyway, there really isn't much you have to do, and the instructions are easy to follow.

My wife asked me to get her a treadmill for Christmas. Initially I had gone to the local sporting goods store and looked at their treadmills, huge great behemoths of machines, they had maybe 10 different ones on display. I didn't like the look of any of them, the designs all seemed outdated and garish, and just very big and overly plastic with features I knew my wife would never use. A couple looked ok and simpler but had a 250lb weight limit. Well my wife is less than that but I figured that 250lbs limit meant that it wasn't exactly built very well, what do heavier people get? surely they need a treadmill more than most, and all of them had a 1 yr guarantee on the motor... so I started looking for something better made and found this. The company's website won me over, they somehow seemed to actually care, I believed they meant well, and the product design showed a lot of thought, a higher weight limit, the name 'exerpeutic', the 'walking fitness' label made sense, I've always thought to myself why run when you can walk, you travel the same distance eventually and burn the same calories getting there, but what do I know, that's probably why I'm fat! This machine has a shorter belt because you are supposed to walk on it, I guess you could jog but it isn't made for sprinting anyway so you don't need a long stride. I liked the idea of the longer than usual arms. I imagine older people would find this very reassuring. The speed goes from 0.5 miles per hour, to 4.0 mph in 0.1 mph increments. 2.5 mph is a fairly brisk walk for us. So I was impressed by the design and thought that the company had put into the design.

I managed to get it all setup and ready for when she came home from work, I think initially she was happy but underwhelmed, it doesn't look fancy, and the only 'complaint' she had was the lack of auto incline. A month later though it's definitely grown on her more, I think she appreciates the simplicity of it, it does what it says on the tin, it gets her sweating, it isn't complicated, it isn't intimating, it's friendly to people that aren't fitness geeks but just want to do more exercise. You don't have to sit there pushing buttons for 5 minutes to start your workout. She uses it 3 or 4 times a week. I think it will last for years, there isn't much to go wrong. We work out together, I have my elliptical next to her treadmill and we watch tv while doing it. We're both very happy with this purchase and highly recommend it.
11 comment| 95 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 28, 2017
Best. Idea. Ever. I made a custom treadmill desk, angled to be level, mounted a computer monitor in front, and game while walking. I'll walk for an hour, and not even notice the time going by. I'm around 375, and this treadmill handles my weight with ease. I've walked around 11 miles this week on my new treadmill. That is 11 more miles than I normally would walk. Am I going to win any races walking along? Yes. I'm moving faster than I would be sitting in my office chair! I'll update in a few months with my health increases (and hopefully, waistline decreases!)

Also, I'm 6'1" with long legs. The track length is just fine, I never feel like I'm going to fall off, and only occasionally hit the front (if I get too excited and start walking faster). The extra width is really nice, I had a previous treadmill with a 16" wide deck, and was always hitting the sides. Not had that problem yet. Also, the treadmill belt stays centered very well, took only a slight adjustment out of the box, and haven't had to readjust yet.

*Update 3/6/17
Two months in, I've been consistently using this 5-6 times a week for an hour or more. I am starting to notice that the belt gets hot to the touch after long workout, but I haven't had any problems with it yet. Working to keep it well lubricated, the lube that comes with it is kinda hard to get very deep under the belt. I've put 70+ miles on it so far, no signs of trouble yet. I'm hoping this lasts me for years.
on August 7, 2016
Ok I was looking for a treadmill that would suit my husbands size. He weighs 345 and needs to lose weight asap. We started eating right 2 months ago after a week long hospital scare. Our diet consists of all vegetables and fruits. Now it's time to shape up. The treadmill arrived within the same week we purchased it. It was simple to put together, but it did take the 2 of us. We put it together without the instructions they were more complicated than helpful, however, since putting the treadmill together we have have gone to the manual several times. This treadmill was brought to my attention by a website comparing treadmills for heavier people. This treadmill had great reviews and was the best price. So after a week of comparing specs, reading reviews and price checking, we opted for the Exerpeutic TF1000. And I am glad we did. Since putting this machine up we have already walked 5 miles each! It is easy to start, stop, it has a timer if you want to set your walk for however long you want to walk. It is wide and the bars are long. It is my favorite thing in the house right now. And it folds easily for storage. The only problem I see so far is when walking the mat slides a little to the left. I haven't oiled it though and heard that it goes away if I do.
on September 7, 2015
Really well built and perfect for my needs. It's solid, doesn't creak or move at all when I'm walking on it and I'm at the top of it's weight limit. Highly recommend for large people who are trying to get some walking in to their routine.
on February 13, 2011
UPDATE: A YEAR LATER!!
Hi everyone it has been a wonderful healthy year on my treadmill desk. I lost weight, almost 20 lbs, which is all I had to lose. I am now as thin as I was as a teenager, and that was over 20 years ago. The treadmill has held up well and I log about 6 miles a day on it..wonderful!!! Everyone who has a desk job should get one of these. It has given me more energy as well.

I just received this treadmill three days ago, and it was a cinch to set up, just a few minutes and I was up and walking. My main purpose for this treadmill is for a treadmill desk, and I need a model that is very quiet at low speed and can deliver consistent speed. I looked at every treadmill on the market, and this one won me over because of the controls on the handlebars, so i don't have to make room on my desk for a bulky control console, and its claim of being quiet. It is so quiet that i can hear my kids in the next room, the radio is at a normal volume and I can still hear myself think. Thank you Exerpeutic for delivering on that promise! This treadmill can handle up to 400 lbs, and the designers put a lot of thought into the dimensions of this design. It has a wide belt, and extremely sturdy side arms, plus lots of room in front of the console. I also like that it only can go up to 4 miles per hour, plenty fast for a brisk walk. I do not intend to jog or run on it, so that was not a negative for me. I have assembled my desk at just below elbow height, above the handlebars (the console I ended up mounting upside down,to fit it under the desk, since I only use the handlebar controls). I am 5'4 and it may not work for a shorter person unless you get a desk specifically designed for a treadmill. The length of the belt is relatively short, but honestly I am only using about half of the length. A very tall person walking very fast(faster than I jog!) might need a longer belt, but for most people this should fit the bill. I typed this review from my treadmill desk, and I couldn't be more pleased with this treadmill. Great walking treadmill!
66 comments| 118 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 9, 2012
Bottom line: If you buy this treadmill save the box.

Original Review:
Purchased this item along with some milk crates to convert my desk into a treadmill desk. Controls on the handles allow me to control the treadmill even though the console is not accessible with my setup. The treadmill works great for my purpose.

This product gets five stars and the time to write a review because of customer service. My treadmill produced an "Er 4" message periodically and shut down until power cycled. At most once a day, mostly every few days. I called the tech support number expecting the typical bad experience. Instead after one choice from a phone menu a human answered the phone who was familiar with the problem and told me to exchange the item via Amazon. It took no time at all. Customers should be able expect this type of service but getting it was a shock. If the replacement doesn't fix the issue I'll lower the rating.

Dropping two stars because the replacement treadmill has the same "Er 4" error message. Talked to a customer service rep and was promised a callback.

1/11/2013
Dropping two more stars. Very disappointed in what should be a good product. I E-mailed the company earlier in the week about the treadmill with no response. I called today and got a voicemail. Yesterday the treadmill was giving me an "Er 4" message every 20 minutes.

I am giving them another week hoping I don't have to pack this monster back into the box. After that it goes back to Amazon.
on May 6, 2017
Boy was it heavy when it arrived. I managed to slide it into my living room and got it set up fairly easily. I'm trying to use it every day to improve my health and fitness. It works well, but has a few idiosyncracies. Sometimes as you are stopping it speeds up a couple of seconds before it slows down. I've learned to step on the edges before stopping it. A couple of times when increasing the speed, it has sped up for a couple of seconds before it settles into the set speed. Overall it works well and I'm very satisfied with it.
on October 12, 2015
Note: This is a therapeutic treadmill. It is not meant to run on. If you are a 150 lb 20-something, this is not the treadmill for you.

Pros:
1. Cheap.
2. Does in fact, function as a treadmill.
3. Very high weight limit and sturdy construction.
4. Assembly has mercifully few steps.

Cons:
1. Really slow top speed (this is for therapeutic use, so this is expected)
2. Really REALLY heavy. (Due to sturdy construction)
3. A NIGHTMARE to put together. In my case, I had to hammer the flanges of one of the bars so that it would fit into its' slotted space.
(Note: Some manufacturing defects are expected, and your mileage may vary. It may be that I got a bad unit on this one bar, but I was able to make it work with difficulty. Once put together, it gave me no problems.)
4. Loud when in use. This may be resolved by further oiling something or other, I haven't tried to troubleshoot yet.
5. Belt seems to slip to one side of the other easily. However, it is not difficult to calibrate when this happens.

I knocked off one star collectively, for the difficulty I had with the construction, and because the belt is difficult to calibrate so that it does not drift from one side to the other.
on May 4, 2013
I always read all the reviews before I purchase anything so I was a little weary about actually purchasing this Treadmill. I am so glad I went with my instinct. I don't know what all the bad reviews are about but I have had no problems with this treadmill. It weighs about 125 lbs so I expected it to be a little hard to get out the box but me and my 12 year old granddaughter took it out with no problem (I am 52 and a female), so I'm not sure what others were complaining about. The setup is so easy it amazed me. I still can't figure out why some were complaining about the instructions (which also has pictures to follow if the words are too hard for you) being too hard to follow? We had it out of the box and put together in less than 30 minutes.

Mine does not make any weird noises, etc. that were discussed in other reviews. It works smoothly. If you are considering purchasing this item, just remember that it is a WALKING treadmill...not a running treadmill.

My only word of caution would be to make sure you order one that is shipped by Amazon. I researched what others were saying and also checked with the BBB on Wayfair. I would not recommend using them for shipping, but use your own judgment. I had no problems with the shipping from Amazon and received the treadmill days before it was scheduled to be delivered. I've had mine going on 4 months and I absolutely love it and have already recommend it to several others.