Your Garage Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning gotpremiere gotpremiere gotpremiere  Echo $129.99 All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis B06ZY5XM7W Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Format: Audio CD|Change

Showing 1-10 of 406 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 987 reviews
on June 28, 2017
Released in 1972 So nothing new to say here. Just a great Rock n Roll album from the Stones. I still can't figure the picture of the guy with the three balls in his mouth...
on July 13, 2014
Unfortunately I had to return this disc as it didn't play in my player. I first thought that it was because I didn't see that it was in wrong region as posted by Amazon, my mistake, but it played in a friends player. I returned and repurchased from another vendor and the new one is fine.
I have a feeling that this might be a problematic pressing. In the end it is great, you will love it. It is stereo only, no 5.1, and the sound reproduction is absolutely worth the $29.99. You will have three choices of audio playback all in 24-bit 94Khz.
My 3 stars are based on the hoops/hassle I went through, even though Amazon was very accommodating. I give the Blu Ray reissue 5 stars.
on June 27, 2015
Good for the bonus tracks, but the remaster done by Virgin in the 90's is actually the better sounding one. I basically bought this one so I could have it in the car all the time, so the remastering doesn't bother me. Obviously, unless you are tone deaf, this is a 5 star album in every way as far as content goes. Not one weak song, but only one hit single, so it doesn't suffer from radio saturation. One of the finest rock & roll albums of all time.
on October 8, 2011
The remastered EXILE sounds ... OK. Better than the old CD or vinyl versions? Well -- as someone who started out listening to rock on a little transistor radio under the covers at night, maybe the subtleties of enhanced audio processing are lost on me. I think I actually like the original better, though I don't have the musical or technical vocabulary to precisely explain why.

I really got this for the second disc of previously unreleased tracks. And here again ... interesting, I'm glad to get to hear these, but I'd be even happier about it if I'd paid a little less. "Loving Cup" is a great alternate version, and the different-lyrics-over-the-same-music "Soul Survivor" sung by Keef is fun, though I wish written lyrics had been provided. But it's pretty much yeah, the best songs were already on the original album in the first place.
on April 6, 2014
Exile on Mainstreet is my favorite Stones record, and in my opinion, probably the greatest rock record of all time. I've listened to all sorts of versions of it, all the vinyl releases, and a number of very high quality 24-96 rips from vinyl (which up to now have been much better than any CD, and even better than any vinyl, that I've heard, including Pdthal's legendary rip). This new blu ray release is definitely the best version I've heard. Everything is much clearer, instruments are well defined in space, the drums and bass are much more clear; really, on every level it's fantastic. I don't listen to it as a disk; I ripped the files from the blu ray as 24-96 flac files, which I play on my Burson Conductor or my Hifiman HM-801.
44 comments| 11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 20, 2017
Nice Stones album, superb sound. I would recommend it.
I'll begin by echoing what some other reviewers have mentioned: this is a terrific Rolling Stones album (actually, when released, it was a two album set), but without a lot of great singles on it. But that may be a part of why this is such a good work. There is rawness throughout the set of songs--and raggedness. It has an earthy rock and roll/blues sensibility and it works because of its rawness, as opposed to despite its rawness. One characteristic, too, is how difficult it is sometimes to make out the words to the songs (there is a famous quotation attributed to Mick Jagger that this was intentional at times).

The CD begins with two flat out neat rockers--"Rocks Off" and "Rip This Joint." Jagger growls and the band plays with a hard edge to it. Then, to one of the gems--the Stones' version of Slim Harpo's great blues number, "Shake Your Hips." Jagger sings it differently from Harpo, but he is effective in his own way. The Stones show that they can play blues well (and note a later piece on "Exile," once recorded by Robert Johnson himself, "Stop Breakin' Down").

One of the few "hits" off this work, "Tumbling Dice," well played here. Some interesting features: Jagger on guitar and Mick Taylor on bass. Then, "Sweet Black Angel" which, if my memory serves me correctly (please correct me if I'm in error), was inspired by activist Angela Davis. A catchy hook and tune. "Ventilator Blues" seems to focus on a bad hair day, with one line being "I feel like murder in the first degree." This is a down and dirty song, with some gritty instrumental work.

One of Keith Richards' earlier solos shows up here, the up tempo "Happy," featuring a nice guitar riff to start the song off, presumably Mick Taylor's work. And "Exile on Main Street" concludes with "Soul Survivor," a lively song featuring some guitar work and nice keyboards. Jagger's voice is ragged and, because of this, quite effective in the context of the entire CD.

The Stones near or at the pinnacle of their career--Jagger on vocals, Taylor and Richards on guitar, Wyman on bass, Watts on drums. "Friends" showing up: Keys on sax, Price on horns, Hopkins on piano, Stewart (an old Stone himself) on piano, and so on. A rip roaring rock and roll album.
1111 comments| 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 19, 2014
I've owned this recording on vinyl, CD and now Blu Ray.

Its probably overall my favorite Stones record, neck and neck with Ya Ya's and Sticky Fingers.

The sound of the Blu Ray is really good, with more details coming through, especially drums. I think in general that good new maters of rock music really benefits the drums for some reason? It's kind of a murky record in general, but I think the Blu Ray opens it up a bit. By the way, for those of you who follow this, the master has a Dynamic Range of 11 which is very good.

On the CD, you can hear some distortion made by the guitars, and that tends to muddy the mix.

On the Blu Ray the guitar distortion is more musical, because there's a more space and detail. You can more readily hear the difference in Richards and Taylor's parts and the tone of the guitars.

With that being said, I am not sure you will hear a huge difference between the CD and Blu Ray unless you have good headphones or a really top notch system.

As a big fan of the music, I think it was worth the investment.
on January 14, 2005
What can one say ? 'Exile on Main Street' is easily one of the Stones' greatest albums. It's a bluesy, raunchy, soulful, erotic, grinding, swaying, moaning ode to the qualities and musical styles of the best rock music --- rhythm, blues, country, soul and gospel. The album does indeed sound like a late night jam session that recalls nothing so much as those that be-bop jazz musicians used to have in the late '40's and 1950's --- fueled by whisky, cigarettes, pot, heroin, but most of all fueled by an absolute love and dedication to the music being made. Mick Jagger's voice, while more indescipherable than ever, has never sounded more passionate or committed : check out "Let It Loose", possibly his greatest-ever vocal moment with the Stones. And throughout the record, Keith Richards and the much-missed Mick Taylor bounce riffs and rhythmic ideas off of each other like two brothers who have been working together for ages. The lyrics seem to be focused throughout on the usage of sex for power and manipulation ("Rocks Off", "Loving Cup", "Turd on the Run", "Let It Loose" and the album's fiery closer "Soul Survivor" are all prime examples), but the music shows a band in fighting trim and more determined than ever to survive past their 30's --- which, of course, the Stones did (sometimes admirably, but more often not). What they achieved here is certainly one of the best studio double albums in rock 'n roll history, just behind Dylan's 'Blonde on Blonde' and Derek and the Dominos' 'Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs'.

The Stones still had one great ('Some Girls') and one very good ('Tattoo You') studio album left in them, but 'Exile on Main Street' is truly where they shot their load for rock immortality once and for all. The listening experience is nothing less than enthralling.
on October 13, 2016
If you even remotely like the Rolling Stones, then this should be part of your music library. Many consider this to be the greatest rock album ever made. For me, an avid Stones fan for more than 50 years, I can only say that it is one of the 4 greatest rock albums (all Rolling Stones) ever made! Exile on Main Street, Sticky Fingers, Beggars Banquet, and Let It Bleed.