Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Fall Reading Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch $5 Digital Albums PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 631 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,713 reviews
on September 13, 2017
To be clear: this review does not concentrate on the movie itself, which, I concede, was pathbreaking in 1973 and still holds up for Halloween. Instead, my focus is on this particular edition.

You get what you pay for. At this writing Amazon offers this edition at about eight bucks: very economical. What did I get at this price? The movie itself in good quality video, modest but effective stereo. (The Blu-Ray version, I imagine, would present a much denser and crisper image; I doubt, however, that the colors would be more striking, since Friedkin, his cinematographer and production designer, decided on a more muted palette to start with. "The Director's Cut" refers to an additional 10-15 minutes that Friedkin edited out of the movie's first release (probably to keep the running time closer to the two-hour mark, thus helping Warner Bros. sell more tickets every day). What of the extra features? In THIS edition—not others—most of what you get is a series of re-relase trailers, TV, and radio promos. How much you adore these will depend on how much you love hearing, over and again, that this is "the scariest movie ever made." (I disagree, but your mileage may vary.) The principal special feature, which I was most looking forward to, was the director's commentary, voiced over the movie. This, to put it mildly, is a disappointment. Having seen and heard other interviews with Friedkin, I know that he can be articulate and perceptive. Here, for some reason, he simply narrates the story we are seeing onscreen. There are practically no insights into the film's production, precious little on its background, and few comments on the acting, (I do agree with him that the quiet, subtle "interrogation" of Ellen Burstyn's character by Lee Cobb's is a highlight of the film.) It would be unfair to accuse Friedkin of phoning in this commentary. He sounds, not bored, but merely redundant.

So … if all you want is the basic, slightly extended version, with a bland frill at a low price, this should do the job. Be prepared for little more.
on September 14, 2017
There's no need for me to give a review of the most iconic horror film of all time, so I will review the region free Blu-ray set that contains both the 1973 & 2000 versions of The Exorcist. The picture and audio quality is fantastic on BOTH versions, and there are several special features included along with the films. I'm one of the few that considers the original 1973 theatrical version of The Exorcist the superior (and only) version of the film. I hate the "happy" ending of the Director's Cut as it completely dilutes the horror show that came right before it. The nihilistic, 1973 somber theatrical ending with the priest looking down the stairs, turning towards the camera as "Tubular Bells" kicks in is far more powerful than a lighthearted discussion about free movie passes and Casablanca (the Director's Cut ending). I highly recommend this two disc set as it's one of the only ways to watch the original version of The Exorcist that terrified audiences in 1973.
on August 17, 2017
I stood in line for an hour to watch this movie when it was first released. It is the only movie that had a moment that actually startled me. It was a great experience and it is a treasured memory. While tame by today's standards, it is still an excellent piece of movie making; beautifully filmed, well acted, and excellent direction. A must for everyone's collection. It will stand up well for many years.
VINE VOICEon November 3, 2006
After thirty-four years, 'The Exorcist' remains nearly as shocking and horrifying as it was upon its release in 1973. Back then, it was a movie event, and news pieces showed that 'The Exorcist' did to post-modern times what 'Dracula' did back during its debut. Near hysteria came to some, but the masses were at least electrified by what is unabashedly called "the scariest movie of all time".

The key element of this hallmark is that 'The Exorcist' is so convincingly real. Reinventing horror, it relies on revealing the nature of a possessed demon inside of its innocent young host, Regan MacNeil (Linda Blair). The way the drama unfolds is not unlike an investigation, complete with medical exams, psychiatry, and a police detective. All of the inquiry gives the whole horror a plausible presentation. For who would not be struck by the contrast between the skepticism of the modern world--including from Catholic priest, Damien Karras (Jason Miller)--in all its attempts to explain an irrational phenomena? The demonic revelation sneaks up on its main players as well as the audience with a tension that only increases over time. Needless to say, it doesn't rely a whole lot on the element of surprise with terrible malevolent beings jumping out at once. As expertly as the sound and special effects are rendered, there is little for the audience to guess at what times terrible things will happen. The presence of the demon inside of Regan makes its menace present to the audience as well. We can feel the full force of the ordeal.

'The Exorcist' takes place mainly on the Georgetown campus where Chris MacNeil (Ellen Burstyn) is lead actress for a film she describes as "Walt Disney meets Ho Chi Min". She has three helpers, including two German immigrants, and her director, Burke Dennings, provides an important part of the plot's direction. Her loose connections with the priests at Georgetown provide some needed solidarity. It is mostly Chris's story, and her struggle to find some solution to her daughter's developing problem, but it is also the story of two priests (including, the exorcist, Fr. Merrin [Max Von Sydow]) whose determination and struggles give more meaning to the main plot and how it remarkably develops.

'The Exorcist' was directed skillfully by William Friedkin who has a host of classics under his directing belt, including 'The French Connection'. Based on William Peter Blatty's modern bestseller and a screenplay adapted by him, 'The Exorcist' is still a masterpiece of modern horror meant to make one look for a reality beyond the senses.

(The "version you've never seen before" doesn't do much to help or harm. A couple of added scenes provide some poignancy; some of it is extraneous, but none of it really ruins the effect.)
77 comments| 4 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 28, 2016
The acting is spot on. The score is fantastic. The tension builds excruciatingly slowly and then explodes in a wonderfully dramatic climax.
However, my younger friend who watched it with me found it too slow for about two thirds of the movie. For that reason I am giving it four instead of five stars. Perhaps I am biased because I have loved this movie ever since I first saw it. Perhaps he is too immature to appreciate it. I can't be sure.
on May 18, 2010
I choose this rating because the movie is good. What I like about the movie is that in this movie you better brace yourself as one of the all-time spellbinders possesses you all over again. Director William Friedkin and producer/screenwriter William Peter Blatty have revisited The Exorcist to integrate 11 minutes of scenes and images deleted before the film's 1973 release and digitally restore the picture and audio elements. The result is an experience more gripping than ever. Now seen are moments deepening the impact of the performances by Linda Blair, Ellen Burstyn, Jason Miller, Max von Sydow and Lee J. Cobb. They include a “nervous disorder” diagnosis, expansion of Father Merrin's arrival before the ritual, priestly doubts during the ritual, an epilogue with Lt. Kinderman and Father Dyer and most notably, a shattering staircase descent by Regan. Winner of Oscars for Best Adapted Screenplay (by Blatty) and Sound, The Exorcist astonishes time and again like no other movie. What I dislike about the movie is that I wanted to see more of it. I would recommend this movie to other people.
on May 24, 2014
I was only 86 when this movie first arrived in theaters. I remember being wheeled around the block for what seemed like days to get in the theater that late December evening. Having fallen asleep around the 20-minute mark, I missed the rest of the film. It's wonderful to finally be able to see not only the movie, but the Director's Uncut one as well. I can't wait for my great-great grandchildren to bring a copy to the twilight home, so we can all watch together. Ellen Burstyn's still got it to this day!
VINE VOICEon October 9, 2010
I love The Exorcist - always have. I have purchased all the versions along the way - vhs, dvd, extended version. But now that most films I purchase are blu rays I was thrilled at the release of The Exorcist on blu ray. There is always a simple first question to be asked when an older film is released on blu ray. Was it a quick hatchet job merely to make more money off the film or was it a lovingly done restoration taking advantage of the new technology of blu ray. I can gladly 1000% say that this one is handled with loving care. The film looks amazing. Color and the black/white ration is amazing. Close ups throughout will have you awestruck. It honestly is like viewing the film for the first time. And they so impressively left the grainy parts intact. This is a film over 30 years old and they could have easily erased all signs of age. But some of the graininess in dark or night footage is necessary to the telling of the story and they left it as it should be. Audio is superb and your home theater system will have a field day with the dramatic audio here. Dialogue is also pefectly presented and not off from the musical backdrop or extrememe sound of the violent scenes.

Now to the effects. Remember that this film is decades old and special effects have grown leaps and bounds. Here we get all of the scenes with Reagan totally cleaned up and let me tell you none of the frightening aspect is gone. The only thing I noticed was how the blood was obviously red paint. Otherwise this film is in no way dated and the blu ray version in fact raises it to another level. I was amazed at how my perceptioon of the film changed due to this amazing version. I think it is a huge gift that both the original theatrical version and the later extended director's cut are presented here in blu ray glory. I prefer the theatrical version so that is the version I am speaking of. I think that The Exorcist often gets misconstrued being described as a pure horror film. It is so much more than this. It is true that film makers have been trying to duplicate the effect of this film ever since. From Scream, Halloween and Friday the 13 directors are trying to reach the same effect. But by doing this they are missing the whole point.

Viewing the film this time was the first time I saw how obviously it is a film of good versus evil and each viewer will have a different perception. The Catholic Church plays a huge part and obviously represents the good and it works so well. The viewer must see the Church as a religious presence and the nurturing it represented before all the tragic issues that would later arise within the church. The priests here are good men, some troubled but all wanting to do their best. Regan is perfectly displayed as an innocent without rubbing it in the viewers face. From the beginning scene it is obvious that evil is being shown and as it wraps itself inside Regan it is terrifying. The special effects still work for they are used to add to the story and meaning of the film. They are not meant to be gratuituous. In a world with such trouble this films clearly shows that there is good and evil. The viewer is left with much to think about after viewing this superb blu ray version.

I know people have double and triple dipped on The Exorcist but I cannot praise the blu ray release highly enough. And it is handsomely presented in a hardback booklet with 38 pages of history on the film inside. And there are special effects galore. There is a new 3 part documentary on the film's production and legacy plus a feature length 1998 documentary on the making of the film with so much more. The Exorcist is indeed a horror film but it is so much more. It is one of the best movies made of any genre and deserves to be in any film collectors library. And this blu ray version does immense justice to a classic. Highly recommended.
on June 9, 2017
This is one of my all time favorite movies and a real classic. I've watched it probably a couple of hundred times over the past 30 years. I bought this copy as I went to meet and greet with Linda Blair and she was happy to sign it for me. Great movie after all these years.
on June 10, 2015
Some of the dialogue doesn't hold up, but that's a minor point. This is still one of the best -- and most important -- horror films of the last 50 years.
I saw this film when it was first released. The stories about people becoming sick while watching it might have been real, but I suspect they were exaggerations: this film won't make you ill. But it might send some chills down your spine.
Excellent cast, with Jason Miller (Karas) and Max von Sydow (Merrin) as the priests who perform the exorcism; Ellen Burstyn as the victim's mother; Linda Blair as the victim; and Lee J. Cobb as Lt. Kinderman. [Cobb should have been cast as Kinderman in the mediocre follow-up (Exorcist III: Legion); unfortunately, George C. Scott, who was at least 25 years too old for the part, got the job. Cobb would have done it better.]
I'm still impressed with the acting of a young Linda Blair (Regan): heck of a job.