Your Garage Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning gotpremiere gotpremiere gotpremiere  Echo $129.99 All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis B06ZY5XM7W Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 820 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,388 reviews
on May 24, 2015
The story of Pip and his great expectations is a classic that I had never read before. Somehow, my class never read it in school. I have read a great many of Dicken’s works and love his writing. I decided to read it because the Literary Classics book club chose it for their May-June read.

The characters in this book are well drawn and very believable. I loved Pip and identified with him as he tries to do what he thinks is right but makes several wrong turns in his life as I think we all do. I felt sorry for Estella and Miss Havisham. She destroyed her own life in her quest for revenge and nearly destroyed Estella’s. My favorite character was Joe the blacksmith, the kindest and truest character ever written by Charles Dickens. I was so happy he came to wonderful end.

I listened to both endings of the book, and I have to say I prefer his original as it finishes everyone’s story but Pip’s and could have been made into a sequel. I understand his friend Edward Bulwer-Lytton asked him to write a happier ending and that is the one most people know. In this version we were treated to both.

Simon Prebble did a wonderful job with his characterizations on the different people in this story.

If you love Dickens than I would highly recommend you read this for the first time or again as a welcoming friend.
on March 13, 2017
For Christmas, my three children have me the entire Jane Austen collection of Penguin Classics Clothbound. Since then, I've been adding other titles to my collection and GREAT EXPECTATIONS was a no-brainer. One of my favorite books by Dickens. Well, one of my fAVORITE books, period. This edition, in my opinion, is just the loveliest. So beautiful in person and easy to hold on one's hand. I highly recommend the Penguin Clothbound Collection. Great for book collector's of any age. Start a collection for little ones and by the time they are old enough to enjoy they'll have a wonderful set of books.
on July 7, 2017
This book is amazing! There are so many twists and turns that you can never get bored. The characters and settings are described with so much detail, that you feel like you are looking right at them! I would definitely recommend this book to anyone who is interested in love stories and action.
The only issues I had were the language and the length of the chapters. Because the story is based out of London it was hard for me to understand some of the language and the dialect,but with the help of the dictionary it was alright. The beginning chapters were like 15-20 pages each, and when you're a teen like me it seems like it is taking forever to get through, especially when you lose focus.
But all in all this was a truly amazing book and a very good read!
on April 23, 2017
I've read this book 3 times now. The first time, I might not have actually finished it; I'm certain I skipped parts of it. The second time, I might have begun it, but again, did not reach the ending. This time, I read it from beginning to end. I found it to be a complex tale with several unexpected twists and turns, along with all the fodder of a classic story. While it might not have all of the technology and cynicism of some of the current popular novels, it's not a dry read, and the ending is almost satisfying.
on May 17, 2017
I have read most of Dickens work and continue to reread many. I have been touched by the skill, power and superb craft infused into the stories. Art reflecting life as a painting in words so rich in color and vibrancy is cherished each time I start again. I wish I could thank Mr Dickens personally.
on July 2, 2006
It is impossible to exaggerate the satisfaction this book gives to its reader and the power of its deep human sympathy. If you were to read only ten books in your lifetime, Charles Dickens' GREAT EXPECTATIONS should be one of them.

If you were to listen to just one audiobook in your life, Frank Muller's narration of Great Expectations should be it. One of the most complimentary things that can be said of such a performance is that it leaves you feeling that the work can be read only in that way. Muller accomplishes this, with the curious and endearing twist that Pip's own narration comes with an American accent, while all others speak in the unforgettable idiom of their place among the English classes and subclasses. Muller on Dickens is a triumph that even Dickens would have applauded.

Now, for the book. The personae will stay with you forever. Pip himself. The deeply generous Joe Gargery. The immortally beautiful Estella, her heart in the end made soft through suffering. Miss Havisham, too terrible to believed but in the end redeemed from her lake of bitterness, if her cry, 'What have I done?!' is to be taken innocently. Wemmick and the Aged P, then - belatedly, Miss Skiffens the gloved. Herbert, then Herbert and Clara.

Jaggers, about whom one is left to ponder, 'Who *is* this man?'

Dickens and Muller are at their best with scoundrels. Expectations provides them no shortage of villains upon whom to practice. Pumblechook. Bentley Drummle. Old Orlick. Compeyson, about whom the best thing said is that he has drowned.

Dickens' keen eye for the glory and the pathetic depths of humanity is almost unparalleled in English literature, with apologies to his critics. He knows that there are Gargeries and Biddies and Herberts. He understands this without for a moment denying the hell in human hearts that is comprised by the likes of Pumblechook with his false respectability and Orlick with his violent, drooling hatreds.

He has comprehended that heaven - if he believed there is such a place - is likely populated by people surnamed Havisham, Jaggers, and Magwitch, who perhaps dance the more vigorously for having been much forgiven.

Yet writing *about* Dickens and his worlds takes time that could be spend on reading Dickens and of his worlds.

For that you'll need to pick up Great Expectations.
on August 7, 2015
Great Expectations, hailed by many as Dickens' best novel, hardly needs my review. Nevertheless, here goes.

GE is very, very Dickensian – it's peopled by a multitude of interesting folks: good guys who are very good, bad guys who are sort of a mixed bag, and a slew of intriguing characters, major and minor. In particular, the wildly inventive and bizarre Miss Havisham, all by herself, makes reading this book worthwhile.

The bottom line for me is that Great Expectations is a tale told in first person by Pip, and I really couldn’t quite bring myself to like him. I kept thinking he deserved all the bad things that happened to him, and none of the good things. The novel also appears to make a point that is a little disturbing, that one should be careful what one wishes for, because you might be better off accepting one’s lot in life. Clearly, in this case at least, fulfillment of great expectations does not lead to a better life.

While it’s sublimely well written, as one would expect from a Grand Master of the English language, Great Expectations is not my favorite Dickens. That remains a tie between David Copperfield and A Tale of Two Cities.

A part of my personal "Classics I Should Have Read But Didn't" series, I listened to most of Great Expectations as opposed to reading it, the Audible.com version read by Simon Prebble. As usual, Prebble's narration is superb.
on September 14, 2015
Charles Dickens' GREAT EXPECTATIONS is a wonderful book for young readers. The story of Pip is a lasting memory for young readers and entrances their engagement into a classic read. Join other young readers as they discover the bends in the life of Pip and what happens to him.

The left-at-the-altar Miss Haversham is a memorable character in her goal to have her ward hate men as revenge for her spinster status. Dressed in her decades old wedding dress and the room and its content for the reception, Ms. Haversham is a misguided, however wealthy, person.

My ESL tutee will love this book and excite his desire for reading. He is in the first grade and reads at third grade level. When I met him three years ago, he was Spanish-speaking only. Many books that I read to him were read during the time he was home with his older brother and his mother. Both parents helped him learn English, although they solely speak Spanish in the home.

Since my limited Spanish is a rusty 40-year old level, I have been studying books from Amazon to keep my Spanish conversational and fresh with the mother.

Diego will love this Dickens' book.
on December 2, 2014
If this review is integrated into reviews of other publisher versions, let it be known I have purchased the Dover Thrift Edition. If you are in need of a classic, this book comes highly recommended. I make this recommendation for people who would be interested in a book for it's great characterization. While reading the novel, I had a distinct feeling for each of the characters, often having unique voices simply by the form of their words. It is a story of a poor boy who becomes interested in acquiring class, acquires it (by chance, not effort) and then readjusts into a new life separate from his old one. In this story, we meet eccentric characters of the countryside, then become acquainted with the classier characters of the city. The narrator, Pip, is both likable, unlikable, and relatable because of his many flaws and aspirations. Much of the story is driven by love, though the subject of our narrator's love is often admitted not to deserve it.

I found the first part of the novel comparable to a read of Huckleberry Finn because of young Pip's innocence and strong heart. When it got to the second part, it reads much like a Victorian version of Catcher in the Rye, because teenage Pip (self-aware and hard on him with it) often finds himself ashamed, embarrassed, and unhappy in a room with anyone--his lesser and higher companions. The third portion becomes unlike anything but itself, and is introduced precisely at the time that the story threatens to fizzle out. I found the third portion of the book to be the most suspenseful and ironic, where the moral point is fully uncovered.

This book is not heavy with action, combat, or thrills, but with voice, irony, and layered interaction. This is the type of book that someone reads when they're looking to reflect on themselves for who they are and how they treat their old and new loyalties.
on September 26, 2016
What Kindle readers want to know:
Illustrated yes, annotated no. That was a dissapointment to me however there are some good things to note. Other versions of the book came in a smaller typeface, this one is normal. Other versions omitted quotation marks making it unclear who was speaking, this one has quotation marks. It has click though chapters and a table of contents as well. Beautiful illustations illuninate the novel. I left off a star since the annotaions were left off.

Great book of course, an historic, dramatic look at the late 19th century in England from the point of view of a poor boy who becomes a man of expectations at the hands of an unknown. A classic tale, read it and you will fall in love with it.