Lyft Industrial Deals Best Books of the Month Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Thor: Ragnarok available to buy Thor: Ragnarok available to buy Thor: Ragnarok available to buy  Three new members of the Echo family Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now TG18_gno

on May 16, 2017
This is absolutely the antenna to have for your HT. It is so much less whippy (technical term) than the 15" that it is much more convenient to use. I have a 15" extendable antenna that does not get as good of reception as this little guy.

Think about where and what you are using your radio for. If you are getting into/out of cars, this is a great option because it is short enough to stay clear of the roof when you hold the unit to your mouth. If you are backpacking, it fits much easier into a bag or compartment. It is flexible and will not break when deformed. And the reception is great.
on July 11, 2013
A good add on to your BaoFeng UV 5R+.
The base of the antenna fits perfectly to the transceiver - nice and snug. The 7.56" length doesn't get in the way.
The antenna is better than the BaoFeng rubber ducky but it's not a powerhouse.
I did hit a couple of repeaters that I couldn't hit with the antenna that came with the hand held, however if you need more distance, you might want to look at the longer Comet or Diamond antenna.
I'm satisfied with the ExpertPower Dual Band antenna.
on October 11, 2016
I too recently purchased this antenna, the one that came with my Baofeng UV5R just wasn't getting out or receiving well. I'm just outside the range of the nearest repeater, but after receiving my ExpertPower Antenna, I noticed instantly a big difference in transmitting and receiving, I also purchased a 30 ft. cable with it to raise the antenna up twenty to twenty-five feet, you would not believe the difference. Now I have a great little system where I can talk to just about anyone I want. Plus I have purchased a second one for my other radio.
on August 12, 2015
Tested the SWR on the antenna is way too high (almost 2 watts reflected on UHF)! You will burn out your radio without even knowing it, I am assuming people have returned radios they used with this antenna thinking the radio failed - instead they blew it themselves with this cheapo antenna!
on June 30, 2015
For those who may be interested in the technical specs of the antenna I will post those following a brief review.

The unit is constructed solidly. The antenna I received did have "ExpertPower" markings on the barrel/base of the antenna. The cap at the end is a solid plastic, not rubber like you find on more whip antennas. The textured base does make it easy for install and removal. Overall it is a decent performer, especially for the $13 price (as of June 2015).

Now for the SWR specifications. I used an AW07A Antenna Analyzer to get specifications on the antenna performance. The antenna is advertised as being for 144-146 and 430-440 MHz. I will cover those areas in detail, as well as the surrounding areas.

SWR

480.000: 4.8
490.000: 5.6
495.000: 6.1
500.000: 6.7

I hope this helps you make an informed decision on the antenna you will be purchasing.
on March 24, 2015
I did a side by side comparison of a Nagoya NA-77, Comet SMA24J, and the ExpertPower XP-771 using a Field Strength Meter and an actual radio communication check with a fellow ham a couple of miles away. The Nagoya NA-77 was scarcely better than the Rubber Ducky that came as standard equipment on a Baofeng BF-F8+. The Comet SMA 24J and the Expert Power XP-771 were very nearly the same with the Expert Power edging out the Comet with a bit clearer and stronger transmit and receive transmissions.The Field Strength meter showed a slightly better transmission signal with the Expert Power over the Comet. The Nagoya was dismal at best. With the Expert Power $10 cheaper than the Comet, the Expert Power is a no brainer.
on August 29, 2016
Near perfect fit for my issued Baofeng UV-5R. It wobbles subtly in place, but remains in place and functional. This is a far better set up than the factory whip antenna. The other choice of the 'diamond' branded stub antenna is popular too. Mine is easier to tell apart, because everyone else has that. Both are the same length. However, the flexible (bendable) ability of this antenna provides great safety for me and those I deal with. Plus, one could imagine the humor it provides to us in the tactical fields... off record jokes.
on January 26, 2016
The 2 meter performance of this antenna was worse than the factory antenna for UV5RA. Seems to be well made but has inferior RF send/receive characteristics, Was unable to receive local repeater signals clearly, signals were fine with default UV5RA antenna. I cannot recommend this antenna and I am returning mine.
on March 28, 2016
I tested this 14.5" antenna and the original 7" antenna with a field strength meter at several locations from 1 to 5 miles. At some locations the two antennas had exactly the same power, but at most locations the 14.5" antenna had a signal strength 6 db (~4 times) stronger. The 14.5" antenna performance was least as good as the original 7" antenna and often 4 times stronger.

Why the bad reviews ?

If the person testing the antenna was at a location where the 14.5" gave the same performance, they would think that it was no good.

If the person testing the antenna was at a location where the 14.5" gave 4 times the power, they would think it was great.

What is going on ?

The ground reflection increases or decreases the signal strength as you move around. The two antennas have different radiation patterns. When the 7" antenna is at a peak performance location and 14.5" antenna has its poorest performance at that location, they have the same field strength.
on May 19, 2017
Bought two of these for a pair of Baofeng UV-5Rs. I wasn't expecting a huge improvement for a low-cost product, but hoped the extra length over the factory antenna would provide some extra range. I wasn't able to perceive any difference for good or bad after switching to these, so I decided to just use the factory antenna instead as it's easier to work around.
I gave two stars because the antenna also does not seem to be very well-made, even for a cheap product: its threaded portion is not properly centered within the antenna body, so the antenna sits cockeyed rather than threading down flush to the radio.