Oil month Automotive HPC Magazine Deals Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry SpringEvent_Lawn_and_Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Fifty Shades Freed available to buy Fifty Shades Freed available to buy Fifty Shades Freed available to buy  Kids Edition Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now TG18PP_gno

on June 30, 2015
For those who may be interested in the technical specs of the antenna I will post those following a brief review.

The unit is constructed solidly. The antenna I received did have "ExpertPower" markings on the barrel/base of the antenna. The cap at the end is a solid plastic, not rubber like you find on more whip antennas. The textured base does make it easy for install and removal. Overall it is a decent performer, especially for the $13 price (as of June 2015).

Now for the SWR specifications. I used an AW07A Antenna Analyzer to get specifications on the antenna performance. The antenna is advertised as being for 144-146 and 430-440 MHz. I will cover those areas in detail, as well as the surrounding areas.

SWR

480.000: 4.8
490.000: 5.6
495.000: 6.1
500.000: 6.7

I hope this helps you make an informed decision on the antenna you will be purchasing.
on April 11, 2013
I bought this antenna a few months ago for my Baofeng UV-5RA. The stock rubber duck antenna obviously does not perform very well, so I was in want for something better. I decided on this and when I got it, I noticed an immediate improvement over my stock antenna. I live right on the edge of my local repeater effective range for a 5 watt HT, so I'm in the perfect spot to give a comparison on the performance of this. Before, I couldn't even hit the repeater and I could just barely do it outside my house... sometimes. But this antenna has allowed me much greater range than before. I still need to go outside my house if I want people to hear me clearly, but it still works fairly well inside. Like a lot of other repeaters out there, there are two tail tones that let you know how well you're getting into it, and I can usually get the weak signal tail tone anywhere in my house which before was impossible. I've also compared this to other HT 2 meter antennas like the Diamond, and I haven't been able to notice any significant difference in performance (if any difference at all).

My only caution to people considering this antenna is that it is slightly on the large side for an HT antenna, but your performance is sure to be improved. It's hard to use in the car because you have to angle the radio sideways just so that the antenna won't hit anything. But you should be using a mobile rig for that anyway ;) So overall, this is a very good antenna that can increase your effective range at least by a few miles, and if you're considering it, I encourage you to buy it.
22 comments| 31 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on May 16, 2017
This is absolutely the antenna to have for your HT. It is so much less whippy (technical term) than the 15" that it is much more convenient to use. I have a 15" extendable antenna that does not get as good of reception as this little guy.

Think about where and what you are using your radio for. If you are getting into/out of cars, this is a great option because it is short enough to stay clear of the roof when you hold the unit to your mouth. If you are backpacking, it fits much easier into a bag or compartment. It is flexible and will not break when deformed. And the reception is great.
on October 11, 2016
I too recently purchased this antenna, the one that came with my Baofeng UV5R just wasn't getting out or receiving well. I'm just outside the range of the nearest repeater, but after receiving my ExpertPower Antenna, I noticed instantly a big difference in transmitting and receiving, I also purchased a 30 ft. cable with it to raise the antenna up twenty to twenty-five feet, you would not believe the difference. Now I have a great little system where I can talk to just about anyone I want. Plus I have purchased a second one for my other radio.
on July 11, 2013
A good add on to your BaoFeng UV 5R+.
The base of the antenna fits perfectly to the transceiver - nice and snug. The 7.56" length doesn't get in the way.
The antenna is better than the BaoFeng rubber ducky but it's not a powerhouse.
I did hit a couple of repeaters that I couldn't hit with the antenna that came with the hand held, however if you need more distance, you might want to look at the longer Comet or Diamond antenna.
I'm satisfied with the ExpertPower Dual Band antenna.
on June 14, 2013
I had been using the stock antenna on my Baofeng UV5R+. It seemed to work ok, but was way too stiff. bend the wrong way while carrying it and SNAP!!! There goes the antenna along with the radio. I wanted something that was flexible, and if it had better performance it would be a bonus. I found this Expert Power "7.56" Dual band antenna here on Amazon. Although i was a little skeptical because of the price i deceided to give it a try because it seemed to be just what i needed. I received the antenna very quickly. It was flexible and lightweight which was just what i wanted. I installed it into the radio and it fit like a glove, nice and snug down into the radio mount with no gaps. It actually looks like it was made for the radio (factory). I immediately noticed a marked improvement in my receive power. Distant stations and repeaters that i had been listening to were now louder and more clear. My transmitt power also improved, repeaters that i had been barely pushing, were now reading me loud and clear. The antenna is perfect for everyday carry, not too big and very flexible. It is well worth the price. I wouldn't recommend it if i wasn't satisfied. Go ahead and get one..you'll be glad you did!
0Comment| 89 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on March 24, 2015
I did a side by side comparison of a Nagoya NA-77, Comet SMA24J, and the ExpertPower XP-771 using a Field Strength Meter and an actual radio communication check with a fellow ham a couple of miles away. The Nagoya NA-77 was scarcely better than the Rubber Ducky that came as standard equipment on a Baofeng BF-F8+. The Comet SMA 24J and the Expert Power XP-771 were very nearly the same with the Expert Power edging out the Comet with a bit clearer and stronger transmit and receive transmissions.The Field Strength meter showed a slightly better transmission signal with the Expert Power over the Comet. The Nagoya was dismal at best. With the Expert Power $10 cheaper than the Comet, the Expert Power is a no brainer.
on April 15, 2014
If you don't need to do frequent antenna switching, this thing fits the UV-5RA like it was specifically made for it and MILES better than the OEM antenna. I have not measured the SWR on this antenna like some people have but we did do a reception test and this was way better than stock, and seemed just as good as a $30 main stream brand name antenna. The larger version of this antenna has a VERY poor SWR per some other reviewers, and for this radio I wanted to keep a smaller antenna.

Rx and Tx performance to my local favorite repeaters was vastly improved over the stock antenna. Also did some testing with simplex operation and again, huge gains in range.

So, a cheap antenna for a cheap radio. It works. I still think going with a nice quality brand name antenna is the best route, but if you're on a tight budget this one just can't be beat at this price.
on January 20, 2016
I don't have any fancy testing equipment to test the range of my radio with. I'm not a HAM operator, but I do understand the concept of how radios work and repeaters and all that "schtuff" What I can say is this:
Radio: UV-5RV2+
I bought this antenna because I thought the short one wasn't very flexible. I thought if it works as good, then I'm happy because I really didn't buy it for better reception. I needed a flexible antenna for my application.
Things I liked about the antenna:
1. The antenna snugged up nice and tight. Don't need to be an expert to know this is a good thing, so in fitment, it gets an A+.
2. The my radio picks up KLOVE better than it did before. Of course that could have been atmospheric conditions at play. I didn't measure humidity, dew point and barometric pressure, I didn't even look outside. I just said, "Hmpf! The the radio station is coming in more clear." I also realize this isn't the true purpose of the radio, but it's a nice bennie.
3. I also noticed that I'm picking up a repeater that I wasn't picking up the stock antenna. Again, there could be a plethora of other reasons or factors, but I kinda just thought, "Put new antenna on. Radio picks up more stations." Kind of simple, but that's what it is.
4. This is kind of tied to the first comment, but I just wanted to comment again on quality. This radio goes in a chest right and I have to bend the antenna down over my shoulder straps. It did not break, nor does it seem that it will. It seems to be very well constructed.
5. $10.95. I mean even if this thing slightly improves reception, it's $10.95. I also read many other antennas did not fit secure to the radio I have
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on September 15, 2013
Product obviously defective,could tell moment I took out of package and laid it on table.Base is crooked and antenna hangs to one side,Im not the first to receive one like this.

IMO they are sending out defective products.

It DOES work,as long as you dont mind it looking ridiculous on your radio.

Of course at this price not worth arguing about,if they want rating changed THEY can make the effort to make good,otherwise rating stands.
==============================
Edit- 9/20/13....Received the following reply and will change my opinion to a 4/5 based on irritation factor only precluding a 5 star.They stepped up and said they will make good,and I believe they will.This is their reply and you cant ask for more from a seller.

Hi BooBoo,

We reviewed your feedback and sincerely apologize for this issue.

The antenna(s) should not be crooked. Although it is extremely rare, manufacturing defects can happen and when they do, we are always more than happy to refund our customer's purchase or replace the product itself. Please let us know your preference and we shall proceed accordingly.

ExpertPower