Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. Electronics Gift Guide $34.99 for a limited time only Try it first with samples Handmade Last Minute Gifts Holiday Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon JCVJ JCVJ JCVJ  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite Assassin's Creed Origins Shop Now HTL17_gno

on August 29, 2016
Near perfect fit for my issued Baofeng UV-5R. It wobbles subtly in place, but remains in place and functional. This is a far better set up than the factory whip antenna. The other choice of the 'diamond' branded stub antenna is popular too. Mine is easier to tell apart, because everyone else has that. Both are the same length. However, the flexible (bendable) ability of this antenna provides great safety for me and those I deal with. Plus, one could imagine the humor it provides to us in the tactical fields... off record jokes.
on January 26, 2016
The 2 meter performance of this antenna was worse than the factory antenna for UV5RA. Seems to be well made but has inferior RF send/receive characteristics, Was unable to receive local repeater signals clearly, signals were fine with default UV5RA antenna. I cannot recommend this antenna and I am returning mine.
on May 19, 2017
Bought two of these for a pair of Baofeng UV-5Rs. I wasn't expecting a huge improvement for a low-cost product, but hoped the extra length over the factory antenna would provide some extra range. I wasn't able to perceive any difference for good or bad after switching to these, so I decided to just use the factory antenna instead as it's easier to work around.
I gave two stars because the antenna also does not seem to be very well-made, even for a cheap product: its threaded portion is not properly centered within the antenna body, so the antenna sits cockeyed rather than threading down flush to the radio.
on September 6, 2017
This antenna is better than the original UV-5R Baofeng antenna but not significantly. I have ordered a 15" Nagoya 771 as a replacement. I'm trying to hit a repeater about 6 miles from me, flat ground, no large obstructions. The repeater is on a mast on top of a 6 story building. May just be the weak power of the Baofeng. And I already added a counterpoise so my antenna actually performs like a dipole with that. The delivery and service from this vendor was excellent.
on November 19, 2016
Did not provide good reception. Stock UV5R antanna works better. Did not have brand name and symbol stamped on it like pictures.
on August 28, 2017
I really like this antenna versus the stock BaoFeng antenna. Just be aware that the housing around the base of this antenna IS Plastic. So if you get into any rough & tough situations, it can break, which mine has done previously. It will also help if you apply a very small amount of Lock-thread to any of these antennas to keep them seated and not become loose.
on June 25, 2017
I bought this to replace the stock one on my Baofeng radio and while it does decrease the static, I can't receive transmission really well. I use my radio at work and I wouldn't recommend this for that type of use. It's not a bad antenna though for a different use more close range
on July 5, 2015
I have only used this antenna a few times on an Anytone 3318. I also bought a XP-669 that is my primary antenna. I do not use this antenna for my local repeaters 1 to 16 miles, the 771 is for 3 repeaters from 20 to 22 miles out which all tell me full quiet. The next repeater is 26 miles with reports of some white noise. After that the group of repeaters starts at 35 miles and I can not wake up those repeaters. (Repeaters are from Repeater Book using my house for my location.)
On Simplex I have only had the opportunity to us it once and made about 7 miles HT to HT, however the other radio was on a stock 3318 and I got the same results from the XP-669. I have not tried simplex to a 50 watt base/mobile unit.
on October 20, 2016
Really this barely improves the reception of my F8HP I get approx 4 Miles in city with it and without it I get 4 miles but its a little scratchy using UHF, on the UV-5RV2+ it helps a little also making it more clear in a concrete building and in the city a little gain but not a lot over stock, I say save your money on this item unless you want a softer antenna.

Im an actual user not a paid reviewer or anything, it totally annoys me to see reviews from non verified reviewers!
on April 20, 2016
Decent antenna. I have the 14.5" and the 7.5" version. Predictably, the 14.5" antenna has better performance, but I don't like how heavy it is!! It causes the UV-5R to be very top heavy and unstable. For example, when walking around with it, causing the antenna to flop all over the place, if you set it down and expect it to stay upright, you need to wait for the antenna to stop moving before you let go otherwise the small movement in the antenna will cause it the radio to topple over. Also, when I have the radio clipped to my backpack, the heavier antenna causes polarization mismatch issues, because again, it's top heavy.

Also a notable difference between the 7.5 and 14.5" antennas from ExpertPower is the threads of the female SMA connector. The 7.5" has a bare metal finish, and the 14.5" antenna has a painted or anodized surface finish which causes the measured contact resistance to be ~2x higher. See photo.
review image