Industrial Deals Beauty Silent Corner STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services _fof _fof _fof  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis Shop Now toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 1,331 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,434 reviews
on October 26, 2013
Works better than I had hoped. I bought this antenna to see if it was any better than the stock Baofeng antenna that comes with the UV-5R. First thing I noticed was how much better some of the more distant repeaters came in. Next, I do a SWR sweep on the 2 meter and 70 cm bands using a professional Vector Network Analyzer. On 2 meters, the lowest SWR was outside the low end of the band (about 140 MHz.) But the antenna SWR was just over 2:1 at 148 MHz and was still useable all the way to 155 MHz. On 70 cm, the SWR was below 1.6:1 from 430 MHz to 450 MHz. Now, I have one of these antennas for each of my 3 UV-5Rs. Good deal for the price.
review image review image review image review image
33 comments| 89 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 5, 2012
The ExpertPower 14.4 dual band antenna replaced the 7 inch HT antenna the came on my Wouxun 2 Meter/440 mHz HT. I been checking into 2 meter ham net for months. I have had to go outside the apartment to hit get into the repeater.
After getting the ExpertPower 14.4 antenna when I checked into the net I was going to mention that I had a new antenna but as soon as I checked in the net control station said "N0UWY your signal is excellent tonight." He said it was the best check in that he had heard from me!
Since then I check in from inside the apartment and hit the repeater with a strong signal.
The net is on 2 meters. So I know the ExpertPower 14.4 is better on 2 meters than the stock antenna that came with the Wouxun HT.
33 comments| 91 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 14, 2013
I had been using the stock antenna on my Baofeng UV5R+. It seemed to work ok, but was way too stiff. bend the wrong way while carrying it and SNAP!!! There goes the antenna along with the radio. I wanted something that was flexible, and if it had better performance it would be a bonus. I found this Expert Power "7.56" Dual band antenna here on Amazon. Although i was a little skeptical because of the price i deceided to give it a try because it seemed to be just what i needed. I received the antenna very quickly. It was flexible and lightweight which was just what i wanted. I installed it into the radio and it fit like a glove, nice and snug down into the radio mount with no gaps. It actually looks like it was made for the radio (factory). I immediately noticed a marked improvement in my receive power. Distant stations and repeaters that i had been listening to were now louder and more clear. My transmitt power also improved, repeaters that i had been barely pushing, were now reading me loud and clear. The antenna is perfect for everyday carry, not too big and very flexible. It is well worth the price. I wouldn't recommend it if i wasn't satisfied. Go ahead and get one..you'll be glad you did!
on April 11, 2013
I bought this antenna a few months ago for my Baofeng UV-5RA. The stock rubber duck antenna obviously does not perform very well, so I was in want for something better. I decided on this and when I got it, I noticed an immediate improvement over my stock antenna. I live right on the edge of my local repeater effective range for a 5 watt HT, so I'm in the perfect spot to give a comparison on the performance of this. Before, I couldn't even hit the repeater and I could just barely do it outside my house... sometimes. But this antenna has allowed me much greater range than before. I still need to go outside my house if I want people to hear me clearly, but it still works fairly well inside. Like a lot of other repeaters out there, there are two tail tones that let you know how well you're getting into it, and I can usually get the weak signal tail tone anywhere in my house which before was impossible. I've also compared this to other HT 2 meter antennas like the Diamond, and I haven't been able to notice any significant difference in performance (if any difference at all).

My only caution to people considering this antenna is that it is slightly on the large side for an HT antenna, but your performance is sure to be improved. It's hard to use in the car because you have to angle the radio sideways just so that the antenna won't hit anything. But you should be using a mobile rig for that anyway ;) So overall, this is a very good antenna that can increase your effective range at least by a few miles, and if you're considering it, I encourage you to buy it.
on May 16, 2017
This is absolutely the antenna to have for your HT. It is so much less whippy (technical term) than the 15" that it is much more convenient to use. I have a 15" extendable antenna that does not get as good of reception as this little guy.

Think about where and what you are using your radio for. If you are getting into/out of cars, this is a great option because it is short enough to stay clear of the roof when you hold the unit to your mouth. If you are backpacking, it fits much easier into a bag or compartment. It is flexible and will not break when deformed. And the reception is great.
on July 11, 2013
A good add on to your BaoFeng UV 5R+.
The base of the antenna fits perfectly to the transceiver - nice and snug. The 7.56" length doesn't get in the way.
The antenna is better than the BaoFeng rubber ducky but it's not a powerhouse.
I did hit a couple of repeaters that I couldn't hit with the antenna that came with the hand held, however if you need more distance, you might want to look at the longer Comet or Diamond antenna.
I'm satisfied with the ExpertPower Dual Band antenna.
on March 24, 2014
I have a feeling that this antenna was some sort of random discovery by customers; not something that was intended to be this good; kinda like the 1000 monkeys writing Shakespeare deal, while it is statistically possible, it is highly unlikely it will happen, so perhaps between antennae runs are different as well...

So far, all 3 antennae I've purchased here (2 SMA-F and 1 SMA-M) all came straight. Interestingly though is that the SMA-M version is about 1 cm longer than the SMA-F, yet performance was equal, as in, I couldn't tell the difference between the two.

The test involved several rubber ducky antennae (12 total, including a tribander JTH2 antenna, a few dedicated UHF ones and a few dual banders) The radio TH-F6A was used for recording the signal strength on the S meter; always from the same spot for known repeaters/stations/airports on Airband / 2 meter / 70 cm bands. All tests were performed from the coffee table in our living room. Now, take this for what is worth: its a rubber duck small antenna, and as such, my magmount mobile antenna beat them all by a good margin, but then again, I can't carry around the magmount antenna...

Frequencies RX tested were:
Willow Run airport ATIS: using AM ~127.430 (~10 miles)
KE8HR repeater: FM (narrow) 146.760 mhz (~30 miles)
KIH29 162.475 mhz: FM (narrow) (NOAA) (~52 miles))
WJR 450.750 mhz FM (narrow) (~30 miles)
I didn't test 220 because I don't have another radio that can RX on 220...

I was pleasantly surprised to see it picking Airband, although not as good as the JTH2, it outperformed all other antennae in the test and matched the stock TH-F6A duck.

The overall performance in 2 meters was really good, the only antenna that beat it was the JTH2 by certain situations, in other situations it matched it. I also tested two different BF GT-3 antennae (the older model and the newer model which is a little shorter with a flat top) and although the newer model is arguably better, they don't come close to match this antenna in 2 Meters; neither in 144 mhz nor 162 mhz... that shows the RX freq range of this antenna is pretty wide. 2nd best, losing only to an antenna that is twice as long and four times more expensive... kinda expected. The stock TH-F6A antenna showed similar performance around the low 140 mhz range, but once it went to the high VHF freqs, 150-170 (MURS, NOAA) the Experpower was able to beat it by on S on the meter.

The surprise was on UHF tho, where the Experpower antenna smoked the competition. I was able to get S9 on the WJR station from my living room, the 2nd best was one my single band UHF antenna for my old GMRS radios, which got fluctuating S7~S8. The worst was the Midland G-11 stock stubby duck, which was deaf; and 2nd worst was the JTH2 with just S2... horrendous in UHF, even worse than the stock TH-F6A rubber duck which got ~S6.

simplex TX performance test:
Base:
Magmount mobile antenna inside house using a BF GT-3.
Moving:
x1 TH-F6A
x1 GT-3

In VHF it was able to reach 5.67 miles on nearly flat semi-suburban town area with houses and vegetation. We couldn't hear each other at all at that range. Reception was S8 when last contact (around 4.6 miles), so probably we couldn't get a clear path or we were at a lower altitude... it seemed like equal range to the JTH2.

UHF wasn't as good, only reaching a tad over 3 miles before I couldn't hear base but base could hear me. Perhaps due to the fact that the GT-3 has only 3 watts vs. 5 watts on the TH-F6A?

So, there you have it, for ~6 bucks + S&H you can't get much better than this rubber duck IMO.

G.
on August 12, 2015
Tested the SWR on the antenna is way too high (almost 2 watts reflected on UHF)! You will burn out your radio without even knowing it, I am assuming people have returned radios they used with this antenna thinking the radio failed - instead they blew it themselves with this cheapo antenna!
on July 24, 2015
There is a gap between the radio and antenna that a 3/8" ID 9/16" OD 3/32" section o-ring fills up perfectly. This eliminates wobble.
review image review image
on August 29, 2016
Near perfect fit for my issued Baofeng UV-5R. It wobbles subtly in place, but remains in place and functional. This is a far better set up than the factory whip antenna. The other choice of the 'diamond' branded stub antenna is popular too. Mine is easier to tell apart, because everyone else has that. Both are the same length. However, the flexible (bendable) ability of this antenna provides great safety for me and those I deal with. Plus, one could imagine the humor it provides to us in the tactical fields... off record jokes.