Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Explorers on the Moon (The Adventures of Tintin)
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Britney Spears Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now

Format: Paperback|Change

on December 13, 2011
I was shocked to find that the dialogue in the story, handwritten in the original English versions, has all been replaced with a digital font. This completely changes the character of the story. Basically, 62 pages of calligraphy have been replaced with a typeset font. The font size is irregular, which is distracting, and there is a lot of empty white space in the dialogue bubbles.

The copyright says "First U.S. Edition: September 1976," but the names of the translators, which are included on editions of other Tintin books I have from the 70s, have been omitted in this edition. I'm not sure if the content has been edited.
This edition is printed in China. The old ones were "Printed by Casterman, S.A., Tornai, Belgium".

I would recommend purchasing the little 3-story hardbacks (about 6.5" x 9.5"), which seem to still have the original writing, or if you like the original large format (about 8.5" x 11.5"), look for an old edition from a used book store.

I think this applies to all of the new Tintin large format books.
I uploaded a customer image of the digital font to the Amazon "Look Inside" feature for Tintin Land of Black Gold.
Update.
The Amazon "Look Inside" images are not from the current edition!
Amazon added images to the "Look Inside" feature the day that I made the above comment, but the images are from an old edition. You can tell by looking at the back cover. The old ones are "Printed in Belgium" and use the original title for "FLIGHT 714", which has been changed to "FLIGHT 714 TO SYDNEY" in the current editions.
on June 18, 2002
This science fictional comic , written in 1954 , 14 years before the first actual moon landing , fails to disappoint , after the precedent set by its prequel , 'Destination Moon'.
This adventure sees Tintin and friends successfully go to the moon and back , defeating such problems as a rapidly depleting oxygen source and villains who have followed them into space .
I read it when I was ten and it led me to become interested in space.
I remember sitting on top of the roof of my home , reading it , and seeing a shooting star fly by. There is something intriguing about these comics.
I'm not planning on writing a review for every Tintin book I read, but I'll make an exception for this one.

This book appears to be in the original format, based on the editions I read read in the '70s, with the original hand-written font (I believe). Definitely not the reduced size, computer-generated font of the multi-edition series with the modern covers.

This is the 3rd Tintin I've purchased, for my soon-to-be five year old son. I gave much thought to the first one (Tintin in America), due to stereotypes / racial content, as well as lots of gun play and near death scenarios, and ultimately decided this was a "safe" way to introduce such content on my terms, versus cartoons and movies, which he isn't watching yet.

So I write this review only as a caution to parents -- this is the first Tintin that Herge kills off a couple of characters. One is a bad guy who is shot, the other a "redeemed" character who sacrifices his own life. Those two scenes, within pages of each other, give my budding reader more pause than any of the near death situations Tintin and the Captain faced in any of the stories so far.

Nightmare material? Possibly. But definitely points for discussion -- and this coming from a boy who is quite comfortable with the concept.

So again, not a complaint of this awesome series (which, afterall, is intended for older readers and adults), but just a fair warning to parents.

"Earth calling Moon Rocket, come in Moon Rocket..."
Herge, Explorers on the Moon (Methuen, 1954)

What strikes me most about Explorers on the Moon is, having been written in the early fifties, how precise it is, and how accurate (until, of course, Herge has to wander off and throw in a few of those Martian "canals" that were all the rage in popular thinking at the time to supply some extra danger for our intrepid heroes). Great noises were made starting with The Black Island about Herge doing intensive research on the places he sent his crew in response to the charges of racism levelled at Tintin au Congo. You know as well as I do that Herge never set foot on the moon, but the intensive research was still there, and at a time when if you were doing that kind of research, you were more likely reading incomprehensible scientific articles than kids' books. Needless to say, all the research forms the grounds for the usual Tintin mix of adventure, intrigue, and danger, and adds into it the dream of many a kid who grew up in the fifties and sixties. ****
on November 24, 2015
I really enjoyed this book. It was well written, and the plot was excellent, a couple of twists and turns I didn't see coming. A lot of really well researched detail, and best of all, everything in the book was believable, plausible, and realistic! Recommend without any reservations. I am looking forward to the next novel in the series.
on May 11, 2009
With each mystery he writes, Jon Talton moves closer to becoming a cross-over phenomenon with non-mystery readers who appreciate crisp, intelligent writing.

In "The Pain Nurse," he introduces a strong female protagonist -- Cheryl Beth Wilson, the pain nurse at Cincinnati Memorial Hospital -- and her patient "sidekick," Will Borders, who harbors painful secrets from his years as a homicide detective. Borders becomes obsessed with the murder of a doctor at the hospital, where he has just undergone spinal cord surgery.

Their relationship and pursuit of the killer are riveting and sometimes sweet. Even more exciting is the range and creativity that Talton demonstrates in his first novel that's not part of the excellent Mapstone series that established his mystery creds.
on November 25, 2012
I enjoyed this book, and couldn't put it down. The only complaint I have is how abruptly it ended, after being so invested in the story and the characters I would have liked to have seen a few pages with what happened after the final confrontation. Other than that if you are looking for a quick read, that is somewhat suspenseful (although you figure out who the murderer is in the first 1/3 of the book)I would pick this one up. It's free on Kindle right now, and one of the better free reads on here.
on May 5, 2011
What can you say its a classic. A simple but also an adventurous read. I read it when I was young and now my kids are reading it. Its at least the right comic book to read when the kids are young, especially when the comics these days when comic books represent to much violence, vulgarity and to much fiction, and yet only have action in them and nothing to fascinate the kids minds. These books are all against that and just plain yet clearly a novel type read.
Since this came out way before man actually made it on the moon can show how authors used to imagine the world to be. Also, there being comedy, some serious mysteries and situations, this makes it the perfect book.
on May 23, 2016
pop ups are relatively simple but cute! If you are looking for Robert Sabuda or Mathew Reinhart style of pop-up books you might be disappointed. But if you are an old Tin-Tin + pop-up book fan, you'd find this book cute. I like the movable parts more than the pop-ups ones. The way the author illustrated drunk captain seeing 4 Thomson and Thompson is amusing and brilliant!
review image review image
on August 28, 2013
The ending could have been a little better -- it just kind of drops off, not a lot of explanation about it, like the author said okay my hands are tired now...but all in all it was a pretty good book.