Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now ToyHW17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 206 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 217 reviews
on December 6, 2012
I already owned the Rogue Color Effects Gels kit, so I mostly knew what to expect. While that kit did include color correction gels, there was only one set of them. This new color correction kit from Rogue Photographic includes 3 complete sets of color correction gels, which is great for color correcting multiple flashes at the same time. Not only that, but it also includes 3 rubber bands! Everything I need to color correct up to 3 on- and off-camera flashes. The gels come pre-cut in a convenient shape for mounting using the included rubber bands, and no modification is necessary to the flash. They're all clearly labeled with their color and light loss level, and they're all well sorted using labeled dividers in the carrying pouch. The rubber band mounting method permits easier "loose" mounting of the gels to ensure that they're far enough away from the flash head to prevent melting and deforming.

I did find that the gels are pre-cut to accommodate Canon and Nikon flashes better than other brands. On my Yongnuo YF560 (which is physically a Canon 580EX clone), the gels match the shape of the flash head almost perfectly. But on my Metz 58 AF-2, the gels tend to be a bit tall on the flash head, which makes it more awkward to use both a gel and a Rogue bounce diffuser at the same time. This is a very minor complaint, though, and not enough for the product to lose a star. Accommodating different flash models can't be an easy task.

Overall, very pleased with the product.
Enthusiast: Photographyon December 1, 2016
First of all I'd like to say that I am happy with this product. The documentation is sufficient and the filters work as expected. On the physical side the filters are well sized and fit even on my larger flashes or those with zoom adapters. The relatively long side tabs also for the band to be placed closer or further from the from of the flash head. If I were only going to use this on one set of flashes I'd probably cut them to better match the width of the flash head as in that way accessories that fit directly onto the flash might still be usable. As I use these on different flashes I've left them large and only use them with accessories that don't mount flush on the head (e.g. an umbrella or softbox).

The filters feel reasonable and are shipped with paper in between (apparently part of the manufacturing process). As with any film type filter they can be crimped or scratched relatively easily so care must be taken as I'm sure rough use would render them unusable quite quickly. The attachment bands seem to work well for me though I suspect if you had a particularly small flash they might not fit tight enough. In theory you could use any rubber band but the thickness of these reassures me that they won't break readily and the tabs to help lift the sides to insert/remove the filters are convenient.

The instructions are minimal but sufficient and the reference cards included for the colour correction filters provide a useful reference for the lighting situation they apply to. The colour filters do not provide much description but do enumerate the colours. Between these two sources I think it's easy to understand what the filters are and how you'd probably use them. The filters themselves are also labelled with their name and the light loss as well as (for colour corrections) an icon indicating the situation they apply to.

The pouch they come in is reasonable. It'll definitely keep them together but I'd still be a little concerned that they could be damaged (folded etc) and would rather a hard case. The reference cards included do act to stiffen the pouch so perhaps leaving them in (irrespective of your need) is helpful.

Overall these meet my expectations but this kit is only for a single flash. I augmented it with the colour correction kit (which includes three bands and three of each colour filter) and between the two I have essentially everything I need.
Enthusiast: Photographyon December 1, 2016
First of all I'd like to say that I am happy with this product. The documentation is minimal but sufficient and the filters correct colour temperature as expected. On the physical side the filters are well sized and fit even on my larger flashes or those with zoom adapters. The relatively long side tabs also for the band to be placed closer or further from the from of the flash head. If I were only going to use this on one set of flashes I'd probably cut them to better match the width of the flash head as in that way accessories that fit directly onto the flash might still be usable. As I use these on different flashes I've left them large and only use them with accessories that don't mount flush on the head (e.g. an umbrella or softbox).

The instructions are minimal but sufficient and the reference card included with them is convenient including descriptions of various filter (or combinations) that can be used to correct in various specific lighting situations. Between these two sources I think it's easy to understand what the filters are and how you'd probably use them.

Overall these meet my expectations and with three of each filter and three bands, they meet my most common lighting needs. They are clearly not as robust as the solid plastic/glass filters but are far less expensive and more flexible.
on June 29, 2016
These gels are great. The Roguegrid can be finicky and a little awkward to set up at times, but using gels is one area where it is miles better than some of the competition. Those little square gels with the tabs on the side and the rubberized elastic band you have to stretch around the head of your flash... you know the ones I'm talking about... you have to have 3 free hands and a degree in telekinesis to get them on your flash and get going with them. Those aren't these. These slip into the grid with no effort at all. I can stack multiple gels on top of each other with basically no added effort. The gel completely fills the light source, so there's no worry about multiple shades leaking into the light output from the flash if the head is slightly larger than the gel or the wind is blowing around. The gels are clearly marked, and they have a nice little pouch with dividers that takes up pretty much no room at all in my bag.
on March 3, 2017
These gel sets are an indispensable tool for the strobe/small flash user. The ability to add a little bit of color here and there takes an already good or great image to the next level! Being able to imbue mood, adding to the infinite possibilities for grading in post-production, etc. . . these gels become more and more handy the more you use them. Gelled lighting can be tricky at first, so be sure to experiment and try many different applications to figure out your own sweet spot with colored light. Don't give up after the first or second try. Your work will stand out if you persevere, and for $30, you'll own them for forever if you take care of them. Great value!
on January 13, 2016
I really like these gels! This is the first time I've worked with gels. Having a daughter who has worked in technical theatre for nearly 10 years, and having worked in theatre myself for a few years, I was acquainted with lighting gels already and have always been fascinated by the endless creative possibilities that lighting gels have to offer. The first gels I used from the Rogue pack were the reds and used a white backdrop. The color intensity depends on what your flash is 'zoomed' at, how close or far your flash is from your backdrop and / or subject, and shutter speed. There are many variations to work with, but it's fun to see what you can create. I had no problems securing the gels onto the flash and taking them off with the rubberized band. Thankfully, that 'rubber band' has small tabs at each side to make grasping it much easier, as opposed to regular rubber band that one could fumble with.

These gels fit my Cactus RF60 just fine, but a bit small for my old potato masher, the Sunpak 544. But that's to be expected. The Sunpak 544 is a monster. Needless to say, I'm enjoying just playing around with the new gels and learning what the correction gels can do by watching the tutorial videos online.

For anyone having a hard time attaching the gels with the 'rubber band' by Rogue, what I did was slid the rubber band onto the flash head first, then slipped the tabbed ends of the gel into the rubber band.
on November 23, 2015
Spendy for what they really are...gels are gels...until you need a precision cut set to fit the RogueGrid2. I bit the bullet and purchased these out of necessity because the mother unit only comes standard with 3 gels. These are individually quality gels, nice thickness for durability without deteriorating flash power too much. I only wish the RogueGrid2 came with more as a standard package thus making the purchase of this package a creative expansion option and not so much a necessity.
on December 2, 2016
I feel like most of the rogue products are slightly over priced especially when it comes to the flimsy little rubberband that they include with this set, this alone is my reason for the rating.... As far as the gels go they work awesome... I like the wallet they come in... I actually use these gels sandwiched in between the mag grip and the mag grid system. Overall I'd say buy this set... Your life will never be the same.
on October 18, 2014
This kit has a really simple, extremely practical design. The gels are relatively thick and easy to handle. The gels are individually stamped with the filter designation (e.g., 1/2 CTO). The gels have ears, allowing them to be strapped to the sides of the flash head with a rubber band (which Rogue supplies). No velcro, no tape, no fuss no mess. I have three off-camera speedlights, so the fact that the kit has three of each gel was a happy coincidence.
on April 1, 2017
There are kits out here by Selens and others designed to mimic this kit for a reason. Don't fall for the cheap price. This kit has much more accurate and pleasing colors, and some of the others don't print the correction/effect on the gel itself, making it tough to tell the difference between 1/2 and 1/4 CTO in a dark environment. This is the best solution for a full gel kit.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.