Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Listen for a chance to win STEM $54.99 for a limited time only Handmade Gift Shop Holiday Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MMM MMM MMM  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now HTL17_gno

on April 25, 2012
I have many. many. photography books. Most technical. I wanted a book that was more about perspective, one that was filled with loads of inspirational photos. This book was exactly what I was searching for. If you want a Scott Kelby or Bryan Peterson book full of the technical photography info than I would not suggest this book for you. If you want a book that emotes the passion and art side of photography than this is just the book for you. I love this book and would suggest it for anyone who is new to photography, wants to see photography more from an artist perspective or if you know all the technical stuff and just want to be inspired by other photographers art.
VINE VOICEon November 3, 2010
I have been "taking pictures" since my children were very young and have loved capturing moments of their short lived childhood. I wanted to create a memory trail of sorts for them. After realizing that I wanted to take my photography a bit farther, to invoke meaning and relevance for me and in what I was capturing, I bought this book in hopes that it would help me in my personal journey.

I am so glad I bought this book. I especially liked that the way it was written by several photographers so I could read, analyze, and learn the styles from each one of them. I learned that the simplest of moments are photographic opportunities, and how looking at things from different perspectives could help achieve the process of expressing oneself further.

After reading this book, I searched for other ones like it that dealt with photography on an "everyday is a photographic opportunity" viewpoint, and I could not find any, unfortunately. A wonderful addition in my photography bag, and after finishing this book a few weeks ago, I still find myself still paging through it for inspiration.
on August 21, 2011
Seriously, this book is provides very little content for anyone trying to advance their own photography skills.

"Will also teach you how to create your own compelling photographic images - one click at a time" explain how this book teaches anything....at all.

This is an excerpt on Portraiture Lighting: "Every photographer knows that light is everything. Lighting can turn the most ordinary things into magic, elevate them to a kind of poetry. In the right light, everyone looks more beautiful, more true. Lighting can make or break a portrait. The less harsh the lighting (the few the shadows), the softer the face will look and the smoother the skin will appear. Lighting can transform a simple snapshot into an artful portrait."

That is pretty much the extent of the kind of information available to create your own compelling photographic image.

A good blog does not make a good photography book.
on October 6, 2010
This is a very good book which discusses of the importance of taking photographs which speak to your heart and emotions. I think the key word in the prior sentence is "your." You are taking photographs for yourself to document your life and the occurances you and your family experience. It is not a book about taking photographs for others or for profit. It doesn't speak to technical aspects of photography. It is more about "seeing." The book contains ten chapters each authored by a different person. Some are obviously better writers than others, but the content (photographs and tips) are solid throughout. This is a different type of photography book and one which you can refer to over and over to refresh your vision and restart your creativity.
on October 2, 2010
Expressive Photography is the answer to creative roadblocks. These are extraordinary women who have taken the time share their craft with the world, not to mention the incredible community they have created on shuttersisters.com. As a photographer I am totally in love with the premise of the book, the idea that we all have the ability to collectively discover the simple beauty in every day matters. No two eyes will ever see the same thing in the same way and therein lies the opportunity to show your perspective to the world. Its a book you will easily connect with and use as a tool to develop your creative talents.
on November 23, 2011
Though I've signed up for one and attempted to sign up for another, I haven't actually attended a photography class yet. It will happen one of these days. In the meantime, I'll focus on reading wonderful photography books like the two I've read in the last few weeks. These books are filled with great ideas for great picture taking; I probably could just skip the photography class and try out ideas from these books.
on September 29, 2010
Whether you are just starting out in photography or have been shooting for years, this book will help you learn to express yourself with your camera. The book is well organized and easy to understand. The images are beautiful, but it is the writing that kept me turning the page. I am always looking for inspiration and delight and that is what the Shutter Sisters provide here, along with their useful and creative suggestions for how to take the photograph your heart inspires you to make.
on November 23, 2010
Not a lot of technical jargon, but I didn't feel this made the book any less successful. Quite simply it's pleasure to see such achievable beautiful simple photographs, I needed a shot of inspiration and a refreshing up to date view to kick start my photography skills, the fact that it's all from women photographers "The Shutter Sisters' is an added bonus.
on July 16, 2012
Expressive Photography was a photography game changer for me. It taught me how to view the craft as more than the finished product. Images are our stories. Expressive photography empowers the female photographer to infuse her images with soul and personal history. I highly recommend it. I read the book straight through and also refer to it often when I need a little inspiration.
on August 24, 2017