BCA Month Salon Beauty Fall Reading Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Electronics Gift Guide $69.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Baby Driver Available to Rent Baby Driver Available to Rent Baby Driver Available to Rent  Three new members of the Echo family Now shipping All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now PSFF17_gno

on April 29, 2013
A review written in the style of "Extinction Point":

"Karen read the book, turning the pages with her hand. She remembered how her grandmother had taught her how to read back on the farm. She had turned the pages with her hand, guiding Karen's young hand as it turned the pages. Thank god she'd shown her how to do it! Suddenly Karen realized she was hungry. She felt a gnawing sensation of hunger in her stomach. When had she last eaten? She needed to eat before she tried to write her book review. She went to the kitchen to make a sandwich because she was hungry, but on the way to the kitchen she tripped over the edge of a throw rug and fell to the floor. When she finally regained consciousness hours later, the pain was excruciating. The thick carpeting had done nothing to break her fall. Everything hurt. She felt like she'd been run over by a truck. Had she broken her arm? Ruptured her spleen? Did she have brain damage? Gingerly, she tried to move her shoulder. A wave of pain and nausea flooded over her, and she passed out again.
When she awoke, Karen realized she was still hungry. That sandwich wasn't going to make itself. Hobbling into the kitchen, she opened the refrigerator door and took out a package of sliced turkey that had been hidden in the back behind a jar of pickles. She rolled up one slice of turkey into a tube and took a bite. Then she took two slices of turkey and two slices of bread, spread some mayonnaise on the bread, cut some tomatoes into quarter-inch-thick slices, sprinkled on some pepper, and assembled it all into a sandwich. She ate the sandwich, now wondering how she was going to write her book review semiconscious with a bad shoulder and maybe a ruptured spleen and brain damage. She had never learned to type on her computer. She'd probably do it wrong or kill herself trying to maneuver her fingers around the keyboard. No, better to hand-write the review and send it by mail. No! Even better to hand-write the review and walk the 4,000 miles to the editorial office to hand-deliver it. That made sense! Karen moved slowly over to the great big wooden roll-top desk, being careful not to cause her spleen and/or shoulder further injury. On the way to the desk, she tripped over the rug again and this time she knocked her shin against the end table, tipping over a lighted candle and setting the throw pillow on fire. Oh no! She watched in horror and dismay as her favorite pillow went up in flames. She grabbed the throw rug and beat out the fire. What a day! Then she went over to her desk and found her favorite pen and two sheets of off-white paper (never bright white!) and started to write her review."

The review
The only intriguing thing about this poorly written, poorly conceived, illogical, and just plain boring novel is "The Mystery of Its Many Oddly Similar-Sounding Five-Star Reviews." The main character--the only character--lacks any compelling qualities. She's not smart or clever or funny. She has no common sense. She's unbelievably clumsy, and her injuries are way out of proportion with her accidents. Also, almost nothing happens in this book. Considering it's supposed to be dealing with an extinction-level event and post-apocalyptic New York, that's a pretty amazing achievement. The detailed description given to everyday actions is excruciating and unnecessary (changing a battery, packing a suitcase, shopping at the market, making a sandwich). And repetitive. Then there's the "refusing to drive a car" problem mentioned by other reviewers. It's a huge issue, and it should have been worked out by the author in an earlier draft. Likewise the "let's stock up on canned goods and huge bottles of water for the bike trip" problem. She must have a magic bicycle, magic backpack, and superhuman strength to ride a bike loaded up with what must have been 100+ pounds of stuff. I have no doubt this was written without any editorial involvement. It reads like a first draft, and a bad one.
5150+ comments| 1,418 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 23, 2013
Amazon really is going to have to put some work into how reviews are listed and judged as authentic because I find it impossible that this book is getting the good reviews it is. The book has a great and intriguing original premise and plot line but is quickly lost in mind numbing, endless dribble as you read every thought the main character has. "How many pairs of underwear should I pack for my flight of survival out of the city"- yep, this important fact is there. The main character is a grown woman who lives in New York City. Even though she grew up on a farm she doesn't know how to drive a car and therefore decides she has to ride her bike to Alaska to find the other surviors instead of trying to learn to drive on the endless open roads. LOL! Really? I think my 14 yeard old, whose never driven would figure it out- gas for go and brake for stop. Not like she has to worry about hitting someone- there all dead. Instead she goes shopping for the numerous supplies she needs (you see the entire list because it decribes every detail of every item right down to tampons- so much fun to go shopping)and then somehow she is able to load what has to be about 150 pounds of stuff on this bike.
The worst part for me was how early in the book she's in a dark office building where she's distracted by a scary something and then proceeds to trip over something and fall on a desk and then to the ground. Amazingly she feels like she's broken a rib that has punctured her lung as well as maybe dislocating her shoulder. She ends up with just a completely bruised face and terrible shoulder/arm pain where she can hardly lift her arm and we hear about for the next 50 pages. She even drops a knife when she falls and the tip of the knife is broken off! Come on, did she fall out of 3rd story window or just trip over a trash can and go boom. Ridiculous.
She also talks to survivors in Alaska after an amazing day of seeing crazy things happening that will affect overall survival of earth in general. Does she share any of this stuff with the scientists in Alaska who have no idea what's happening in the local events? No, because it was would sound just to crazy. What? Every person on earth is pretty much dead and she holds back information for these scientist to maybe learn from. Come on.
How an author could come up with such a great and unique concept and then end up writing this bore is pretty amazing.I could go on and on with the stupidity in this book but I guess I'll stop raving on. I don't suggest you get this book.
88 comments| 301 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 18, 2013
News reports of a red rain or 'blood rain' falling across Europe develop into news reports of a mass extinction of all life, even flies, in the regions where the `red rain' has fallen.

Emily Baxter, sole survivor in a city of 8.3 million. NYC is a waste... but it's quiet, at least. The crime rate suddenly fell to 0 infractions per 1 capita.

An interesting story of one woman's... I don't know, genetic predisposition? And story to survive. The author never really states what save Emily Baxter from the `red rain' and it's subsequent effects upon the planet. Something I'm sure will be gotten to.

Twists and turns in the land of sci-fi / horror have you meeting creepy spider (centipede?) type aliens who inhabit human corpses, and for some peculiar reason are constructing gigantic trees out of their bodies - more like smoke-stacks, as the `red rain' is now more like a red dust.

The story covers about a week of post-apocalypse New York from Emily's perspective. From the death of her boyfriend, to her first encounter with `the blob upstairs', and back to her philosophical musings about the origin of the red dust and being planet Earth's single survivor, the story adventures a lot of ground.

The current course of travel is ablaze, she's riding a bike out of NYC (I don't really care for this plot point... too bike fetishistic... weird for me) and there are some other survivor-scientists in Alaska. Thus far the aliens don't seem to pay her any attention as they're too busy building their stacks.

How practical is it to pedal-bike to Alaska? Will Emily develop into an alien curio? Will the author stop trying to create `sexy Emily' scenes? I guess we'll see in `Extinction Point: Exodus'.
on November 21, 2013
So, I was pretty disappointed. Shows you how a great cover can sell a book.

This is a sort of stream of consciousness disaster/EOTW story. My disappointment lies in its execution and writing style. We get too bogged down in the minutae of Emily's reactions to the changes taking place around her. Dont care what see eats, time, after time. Particulaly by herself. Get on to the meat of the story, send her on a quest.. something.

She finally starts a quest to join some other suvivors, but it happens too late in the book.

Good concept, worthy of better execution. Bottomline- for $2.00 bucks its ok.
on May 19, 2017
It all happens very rapidly. Within one day almost everyone is dead. There are survivors on an isolated island in Alaska and one woman and a dog in New York City. They need to get together.
on December 20, 2016
Unfortunately I bought and started reading this book before checking out the reviews. My purchase was based on the 4 star rating and a recommendation by someone I trust. A few chapters into the book I started wondering about its rating and the recommendation. The writing style is very elementary. The premise could have been used to a much better result. I think I will re-read The Road to lift my spirits.
on May 22, 2014
PAJ did an outstanding job grabbing, and then holding my attention, concerning another post-apocalyptic thriller... and I've read a lot of them. Outside of some areas that he was overly descriptive and attentive to detail about even the most basic activities, the book was well written and edited. The world actually dying, dissolving and then transcending within a very short time was a great idea. The blue world becoming red even better. The idea this all happened in New York? Well, I would have a hard time believing it would be even half as easy as she had it, no matter how instinctual or genetically gutsy she really was, it was stressful enough for me, regardless. I liked the quick transfer from normal to alien, without maybe and possibles. It just happened and only an idiot wouldn't have guessed the same, just as she did. Although I would have expected Emily to have a bit more denial, her character was strong, likeable and believable. I can't wait to see how she holds up as her travels continue, especially her sanity. A person who loves New York suddenly thrust into isolation seems mind bending at best! The impossible bike ride to Alaska has me concerned, as well as the agenda of the scientist she has contacted, but the action scene in the forest, with the arrival of Thor, although slightly cliché, was a slightly expected twist I wouldn't have wanted the story to continue with, without. Admittedly, I picked this book up hastily and somewhat by mistake, but I'm glad I did. Hopefully in book 2 we get some perspective from other survivors, if there happen to be any and why Emily was so genetically special. Nice work!

I gave this book four stars instead of five because of the intermittent rambling about things left best to my imagination. Also, in a few spots there wasn't quite the conflict I would have liked to read (I'm spoiled these days by hunger games and divergent were conflict happens every three pages instead of ten!). It didn't get a three because I read the dang thing in two days and I never do that. Plus I can't wait to read the next book. This book is worth the read. If book two improves, this is a movie.
on February 6, 2013
I've just finished the original ebook of Extinction Point. It's heroine finds herself in a world where humanity is all but extinct after a strange red rain (how Fortean) seems to kill 99.999% of animal life on the earth.

Emily the heroine is alone in New York. She eventually is contacted by other survivors (see Facebook IS good for something) is a arctic research post and decides to head north. Meanwhile her dead neighbours in the apartment block have mutated into Something Else, their weird calls filling the night...

I thought the ebook book was pretty enjoyable, being a non driver myself I can understand Emily deciding to ride her bike, especially with all the abandoned cars in the NY streets. Her character isn't especially technical so her not learning to drive is more believeable than it would be for other characters.. I on the other hand would just jump in car after car until I had learned control.

In regards to how much description is used by Mr Jones the only time I felt it was dragging the storytelling was while reading the stairwell in the dark scene. And in a way it did just drag out the tension of Emily being alone in the dark surrounded by weirdness. Otherwise I thought it helped the richness of the world Emily is caught in.

I did wonder why she didn't photograph all the weirdness around her, after all she was a reporter before the disaster. Hopefully the second book in the series will rectify that.
on May 5, 2016
I’ve been a fan of the author since reading Towards Yesterday, which I thought was an outstanding book. Though this book in my opinion is not as good as Toward Yesterday I do like it a lot. I really enjoyed the whole concept of the ‘red rain’ and how the story start to develop from there. I also like how the author used the protagonist character as someone who quote lines from movies or stories she has heard when it comes Post - Apocalyptic scenarios, after all, this is where all our information comes from in the end. Once this series becomes fully developed everyone will enjoy it more.
on July 6, 2013
Extinction Point is a new take on post-apocolyptic fiction. Our heroin, Emily Baxter doesn't face the usual demise of the human race; she faces something far more sinister.

The storyline gripped me from the very first pages. I quickly moved from the sample and through the book in what seemed a matter of minutes. The final pages were a little anti-climatic; because it wasn't a finish; it was another starting point. This book shamelessly makes aware it is part of a series that will drag on through at least three to four more books.

I enjoyed the plot, sort of enjoyed the main character and grew tired of the explicit descriptions of places and things unrelated to the storyline. One of my personal favorites was the narrative description of Emily's sock drawer while outside her world was metamorphing into something close to the ninth ring of hell.

I also felt the author tried to endear me to the character by cracking jokes; unfortunately, the jokes came off artificial and all I could think about was the cackling laughter of the author as he read it back to himself. I did appreciate the the character's genuine confusion to all that was happening before her, and at the same time, her thought and actions toward survival. At times, the story required a great stretch of the imagination; but what doesn't when reading this type of fiction?

Overall, great offering by a freshman author. I would recommend Extinction Point with the disclaimer it's wordy and over-descriptive at times, but worth the read.