Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MozartintheJungle MozartintheJungle MozartintheJungle  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis Tailgating ToyHW17_gno

Showing 1-6 of 6 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 11 reviews
on March 14, 2013
I've been reading BP for years now and this is a nice little addendum to the annuals. For a person well-versed in sabremetrics a lot of material in this book is already common knowledge to me, but there were several sections that added to my knowledge and enjoyment of the game.
on August 2, 2012
This book is a must-have for those interested in all aspects of baseball. The essay format worked really well for me as it allows for analysis and commentary on a wide-range of issues from steroids to Jack Morris (who I'm now convinced doesn't belong in the Hall of Fame). Some chapters are better than others -- the Baseball 101 chapter may be the best while chapter on evaluating managers may be the worst -- but this is an excellent resource overall.
on February 23, 2013
Baseball Prospectus generally puts out a decent product, but Extra Innings was lacking on actual mathematic/economic/statistical research to back up many of the claims made in the book - especially the chapter on pitcher health and durability.

Not a terrible book, but nothing genuinely interesting, either.
on April 12, 2014
Great insight and awesome prespective on baseballs most debated topics.. Well worded, do not have to be a sabr guru to grasp the concepts. Topped their 1st installment " between the numbers" which was a classic in itself.
VINE VOICEon June 15, 2012
I LOOVE detail -- I LOVE taking things apart and learning about their innermost workings -- and i LOOOVE BASEBALL!! This wonderful book is an example of the innermost workings of baseball statistics and why someone with a lousy batting or fielding average JUST MAY BE the one who keeps a team alive and in the standings. Relief pitchers - are they worth their salary? Home Run Hitters -- do they perform for the maximum benefit of their team? Promising recruits -- how are they groomed in the Minors, to become the stars they show the promise of becoming? And WHAT truly makes a GOOD manager!!???

All this (by various authors) and more -- with some wonderful trivia thrown in as well -- I looove this book!!!

Scuze me -- I must sit down with a hot dog a pretzel and a beer and read this book again. Catch me later-- at the 7th Inning Stretch.

Cheers!!
bACEball Ace.
on March 20, 2012
I love baseball. While I was at a game with a friend a few years ago, he suggested I check out Baseball Prospectus, and I can't thank him enough for that recommendation. Their books are a must-read for anybody who loves the game. Insightful, entertaining, and well-written.

The newest addition on my bookshelf is Extra Innings. If you are already familiar with Baseball Prospectus, you'll probably buy this book no matter what I have to say about it. But if you've never read one of their previous books, then you should know that you can pick this one up and enjoy it from start to finish. If you're still hesitating, then I suggest you check out the excerpt from Extra Innings that has been published on their free website [...]

I would strongly recommend Baseball Prospectus and Extra Innings for every baseball fan. You can buy it for yourself, of course, but I especially recommend it if you're buying it as a gift for someone else who loves the game.